Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-18-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
sugarray

sugarray is on a distinguished road
Default How much does angle matter in distance?

Just a question I have and am considering getting a new range finder. Does the angle really make that much difference in shot distance.
I performed a practical experiment. I measured with my Bushnell Yardage Pro from the base of the tree 20, 30, 40 yds then climbed to my preferred ht ~25 feet and checked the yardage, was the same 20, 30, and 40 yds. I held right on and shot dead on with maybe 1-2 of 5 arrows hitting no more that 1-1.5 inches high.
In hunting scenerio, I had a doe at 45 yds with a downward angle, held for 45 yds and just barely cut the hair on top of back. Was it me? or did the angle make a difference?
What is your experience

"I'll see you around, 'round my home town"
Charlie Robison
sugarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Gizmo2310

Gizmo2310 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
Just a question I have and am considering getting a new range finder. Does the angle really make that much difference in shot distance.
I performed a practical experiment. I measured with my Bushnell Yardage Pro from the base of the tree 20, 30, 40 yds then climbed to my preferred ht ~25 feet and checked the yardage, was the same 20, 30, and 40 yds. I held right on and shot dead on with maybe 1-2 of 5 arrows hitting no more that 1-1.5 inches high.
In hunting scenerio, I had a doe at 45 yds with a downward angle, held for 45 yds and just barely cut the hair on top of back. Was it me? or did the angle make a difference?
What is your experience

Usually the grade has to be at 5% or more before you will notice any difference. Usually I don't make any adjustments until about 8% and that's only about two yards.
As for if it was your or the angel I would say who knows. Depending on if the deer could hear or see that arrow before impact she may have squatted, seen it happen. My hunting rig is shooting 287 and all my pins at 40 plus are set two yards light for that reason. So if you did not compensate for the angel and she jumped your arrow yes your can easily miss at that distance. Hope this helps.

www.bkarchery.com
T.R.U. Ball Release Aids
Speciality Archery
Victory Arrows
Bohing Archery
Gizmo2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Yes it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarray View Post
What is your experience
Thats why most archers hit high when shooting from an elevated stand. I think the new rangefinder from Nikon will be a big hit. My Nikon 440 may never quit and Im not buying another one untell it stops.

Here the new one for archers.

Click Here
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=9
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
whitearrow
Bust 'Em

whitearrow is on a distinguished road

sugarray funny you should mention this topic today.i went out to the local/public range to shoot with a buddy this morning after working all night.i walked up the shooting platform,probably 15" tall and the targets are on a pretty descent downhill grade.i at present don't have a range finder so i begin to shoot at the,what i guesstimate,30 yard target.i hold dead on my 30 yard gap and shoot 6" high.i say that i must have pulled so i fire another same story.so i deduce that if i shot that high to shoot my 20 yard pin even though i know full well that target is further away than 20 yards,when i shot with the 20 yard pin i hit dead nuts center.well after scratching my head for a couple minutes my buddy drives up.i ask him for his range finder,he has an older model before the arc/tbr,and it read right on 30 yards to the target that i had to use my 20 yard pin on.now i am shooting a hoyt katera 27" draw length,67 lbs,and a 385 grain axis arrow and it is flat shooting but it shouldn't be that flat shooting.so unless i have an extremely flat shooting bow i definently see the need for the arc/tbr feature on the new rangefinders.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Here what some tournament archers use.

Actually it pretty dead on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (146.7 KB, 879 views)
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #6
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

I don't climb very high with my stand, maybe 15-16ft.; If I hold under 2-3" it seems to work OK.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Gizmo2310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Thats why most archers hit high when shooting from an elevated stand. I think the new rangefinder from Nikon will be a big hit. My Nikon 440 may never quit and Im not buying another one untell it stops.

Here the new one for archers.

Click Here
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form23&Go.x=9

We have them for $239.99, www.bkarchery.com look under optics and range finders.

www.bkarchery.com
T.R.U. Ball Release Aids
Speciality Archery
Victory Arrows
Bohing Archery
Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo2310 View Post
We have them for $239.99, www.bkarchery.com look under optics and range finders.
Do you actually have these in stock, I know someone looking for one.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:40 AM   #9
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

The farther away from the tree, the less angle and the less differance in distance. I have an angle compensation Nikon. At 20 yards from my tree I tend to shoot a little high because I can't always hold my form perfectly as I bend at the waste to shoot. When I draw as though I were going to shoot straight out fron the tree and hold that form well as I bend at the waste, my arrow hits the same 2" dot it does from the ground. Straight down, I have to aim at the inside rib of a deer to shoot just inside the spine. The more I bend, the less I can hold my form. However, I've found with my new ambush saddle, I can angle my whole body and in effect shoot from a standing possition, straight down. I'm dead on from 30' up with my 10 yard pin, if my form is good. In short, it was probably you, not the angle.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
Gizmo2310

Default In stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Do you actually have these in stock, I know someone looking for one.
I have a few suppliers, so I'm sure somone does. In most cases I can get them TYD in 3 days.

www.bkarchery.com
T.R.U. Ball Release Aids
Speciality Archery
Victory Arrows
Bohing Archery