Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
mathewsgirl13
Pinky

mathewsgirl13 is on a distinguished road
Default Just getting this out there...

what do you say to people when you are telling them about killing a deer and they just are disgusted with it and can't believe you would kill an innocent animal...

Several of my co-workers said this...

Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

I'd ask them who killed the Whopper or Quarter Pounder they ate last week. Always gonna be stupid people around so might as well get used to them. I just $@&%* slap them and send them packin.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
SinGin
Banned

SinGin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
I'd ask them who killed the Whopper or Quarter Pounder they ate last week. Always gonna be stupid people around so might as well get used to them. I just $@&%* slap them and send them packin.
Ya, what he said.
SinGin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #4
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsgirl13 View Post
what do you say to people when you are telling them about killing a deer and they just are disgusted with it and can't believe you would kill an innocent animal...

I think it is awesome that you are continuing a great american tradition. Legally hunting and killing wild game for your familys consumption is great. You are a fantastic lady and my hat is off to you. Keep it up girl. You have alot of great people behind you.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
mathewsgirl13
Pinky

Quote:
I think it is awesome that you are continuing a great american tradition. Legally hunting and killing wild game for your familys consumption is great. You are a fantastic lady and my hat is off to you. Keep it up girl. You have alot of great people behind you.
awww...thank you!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

I don't associate with those kind of people
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
I don't associate with those kind of people

I gave one a membership to the NRA and another a 3 year subscription to Bowhunter mag...
Old 10-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #8
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

I feed them deer and wild hog at the office pot lucks.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #9
duckslayer870

duckslayer870 is on a distinguished road

Try being diplomatic and explain how you are helping control the population and participating in sound managment practices. you could also try to introduce them to the outdoors. If not wait until they hit one with their car and get the estimates from the body shop. them ask them how innocent bambi is. If these things dont work find new people to talk to at work.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
beenfarr

beenfarr is on a distinguished road

I tell them that 100's of thousands of deer die of starvation in a harsh Michigan Winter, and I practice with my bow all year to make a quick and ethical kill. Then I ask if they would rather die quickly, or starve to death. Then I talk about how many deer there are in this state, and how many car accidents they cause, that could potentially hurt thier loved ones. They usually don't change their way of thinking completely, but they at least see my point.

Ben

FBSA Member
beenfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #11
gizim_1132
Banned

gizim_1132 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer870 View Post
Try being diplomatic and explain how you are helping control the population and participating in sound managment practices. you could also try to introduce them to the outdoors. If not wait until they hit one with their car and get the estimates from the body shop. them ask them how innocent bambi is. If these things dont work find new people to talk to at work.
Very good way of puttin it!!!! lol
gizim_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #12
48down

48down is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOBsKILL View Post
I feed them deer and wild hog at the office pot lucks.
+1 My co-workers have eaten lots of deer chili.
48down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
mathewsgirl13
Pinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckslayer870 View Post
Try being diplomatic and explain how you are helping control the population and participating in sound managment practices.
That is what I did!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:25 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Living within 10 miles of the real WOODSTOCK, I find that I keep my stories to my self unless asked.......

I dont want to hear the details of the arts and crafts festival, they dont want to hear the details of my blood trail.......

Not trying to be a DICK, but you are at work to work, not tell your hunting stories......

that being said, my boss and I both hunt (archery, rifle, muzzleloader), so we tell stories, back and forth about BLOOD and GUTS all the time......

just like your protected from second hand smoke, they too have the right to be protected from the things, they dont like, or feel the same about.....
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

bullfiddle is on a distinguished road

I just laugh when they hit a deer and complain....
FBSA President and Founder
bullfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 PM   #16
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
Living within 10 miles of the real WOODSTOCK, I find that I keep my stories to my self unless asked.......

I dont want to hear the details of the arts and crafts festival, they dont want to hear the details of my blood trail.......

Not trying to be a DICK, but you are at work to work, not tell your hunting stories......

that being said, my boss and I both hunt (archery, rifle, muzzleloader), so we tell stories, back and forth about BLOOD and GUTS all the time......

just like your protected from second hand smoke, they too have the right to be protected from the things, they dont like, or feel the same about.....
Hey... I was there... and I hunt
Old 10-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #17
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Hey... I was there... and I hunt
not the fake made up concert site "WOODSTOCK"

BUT the acctual HIPPIE TOWN WOODSTOCK......

YES THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE.......

one is WOODSTOCK NY

the other was actually in a town called BETHEL..........
Old 10-01-2008, 09:06 PM   #18
JAVI

Quote:
not the fake made up concert site "WOODSTOCK"

BUT the acctual HIPPIE TOWN WOODSTOCK......

YES THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE.......

one is WOODSTOCK NY

the other was actually in a town called BETHEL..........
Yep Max Yasgur's dairy farm to be exact... Although I've passed through the other...
Old 10-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #19
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

Quote:
yep that is it go tell them about it
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:31 PM   #20
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Yep Max Yasgur's dairy farm to be exact... Although I've passed through the other...
all .5 mile of it.......

Waste of space if you ask me.........
Old 10-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #21
JAVI

Quote:
all .5 mile of it.......

Waste of space if you ask me.........

I think I enjoyed the concert... but I was only 20 and can't remember much of those days..
Old 10-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #22
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

I set them down and tell them to get their facts stright, deer are not innocent they cause 100,000s of thousands of dollars to property and crops, that do impact food costs at the store. Then i tell them that if hunters didnt help control the deer herds, that their would be more deer then people in 3 years from now, They would eat so much soon their would be no trees, plants, veggies ext, and they would adapt to become meat eaters and start eating humans and would end all mankind on earth.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #23
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
I set them down and tell them to get their facts stright, deer are not innocent they cause 100,000s of thousands of dollars to property and crops, that do impact food costs at the store. Then i tell them that if hunters didnt help control the deer herds, that their would be more deer then people in 3 years from now, They would eat so much soon their would be no trees, plants, veggies ext, and they would adapt to become meat eaters and start eating humans and would end all mankind on earth.
Now that right there is funny...
Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 AM   #24
harleyryder
bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple

harleyryder is on a distinguished road

I would discontinue the conversation with them,you won't change their narrow minds and will just end up in a arguement that you can't win in their eyes.And then go elsewhere and find someone that is interested...(me me me) Just aslong you don't start telling all about it was really the Mathews that did the job
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 AM   #25
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default I always tell them

There more deer in the US right now and its because of hunters and the money they spend. I tell them there more lan avalaiable for wildllife today because of hunters support.

I tell them deer will diesease if the herds are not managed and controled.

If they mention peta. Tell them Peta actaully has killed dogs and cats because of over population. Also tell tthem Peta spends very little but takes in Millions. Where does the money go. It goes over seas in someone pocket.
NRA President slaghter the Peta represenative in a debate. Wasnt even close. I use to have the video of that debate. Funny stuff.

It good see Palin stands up for hunters and women that hunt.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #26
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Generally speaking, I don't speak to people who think like that.

But then again, I don't come to work bragging about killing animals either. Main reason being, I don't like these .

I work in an office for the most part. One time, I took off the morning to go hunting....was to report at noon. Shot a deer, gutted it, tagged it, hung and skinned it and was at work by noon. Everyone in the office was complaining about the blood all over my hands and up my forearms. My supervisor asked me what is was from, I wouldn't tell him. I just sat in my cube and panted real loud and stared at the wall the rest of the day and never blinked. People have kept out of my way ever since.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #27
48down

48down is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I always ask them if they have a better way for a deer to die?

The likely hood is that if it did not die at the hands of a hunter it would not have had an "easier" death "naturally" in the woods.

Death from disease or starvation during a rough winter usually means days or weeks of suffering instead of just seconds or even hours (if we make a bad shot). Sometimes "natural" death is ended by being eaten while still alive by coyotes etc.

An anti-hunter might say we should just let them die from "old age". We all know that death from old age for a deer really means that their teeth get so bad that one winter they cannot eat enough to stay healthy and they die from starvation or disease too.

We all know that life/death in the wild for deer and other wild animals is brutal and unfortunately that is the way it is. It is not like a Bambi cartoon.

Last edited by 48down; 10-02-2008 at 09:04 AM.
48down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #28
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

I tell them If God did not want me to kill animals and eat them he should not have made them out of meat.
In all seriousness, I just tell them that in order for me to live other things must die. Or just explain that Animals that have K9 teeth and eyes in the front are predators.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:30 AM   #29
Hook Em
Slippy for President

Hook Em is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
Generally speaking, I don't speak to people who think like that.

But then again, I don't come to work bragging about killing animals either. Main reason being, I don't like these .

I work in an office for the most part. One time, I took off the morning to go hunting....was to report at noon. Shot a deer, gutted it, tagged it, hung and skinned it and was at work by noon. Everyone in the office was complaining about the blood all over my hands and up my forearms. My supervisor asked me what is was from, I wouldn't tell him. I just sat in my cube and panted real loud and stared at the wall the rest of the day and never blinked. People have kept out of my way ever since.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #30
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I wouldn't say much to them that's for sure. I'd probably just walk away and not say a word to them unless it was work related. Those type of people only lead to trouble.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #31
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Does this mean that I have a right to be protected from glaring stupidity?

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 AM   #32
chuck7413

chuck7413 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The first thing I do is ask them what they had for lunch. If they had any kind of animal I ask them who killed it and usually that quiets them down.

All that aside, congrats on your deer!
chuck7413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #33
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

One thing that has tainted the minds of the non hunters
which we must convince that this is a good thing and that we are not a bunch of sadistic killers
is that Disney's gave those cute little fellars a voice and mad animals on tha same level as humans
so politely inform them of this fact
it helps to get them back into tha real world
one thing that is good is not to tell all the gory details just that I harvested a a game animal
also that they are less in cholesterol and fat than chicken
so I hunt healthy
even in there lack of understaning and proagranderize minds
we must treat them with the dignity that all of humanity deserves
not to agree with some of the horrible things people do
respect given is respect recived
try to do something that is not to obvious to help them out at work
show them that hunters are a kind and caring people

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #34
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post

I don't think Javi was the only one here at Woodstock..
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #35
texas wombat
Aggie Archer

texas wombat is on a distinguished road

I guess I am just lucky. Most all my coworkers are chomping at the bit to fill their freezers with some central Texas venison.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #36
Okbowman

Okbowman is on a distinguished road
Default ?????

If I felt like I couldn't talk about my hunting stories at work then I'd find a new job. Hey Bunny, I don't think you were trying very hard not to be a . Cause you sure sound like one. Don't worry about it Mathewsgirl, I wouldn't expect anything less from a "Yankee". You just keep whackin em and stackin em. If they can't handle you down across the Red then just move north. We dont mind good ol huntin stories, even at work.
Okbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #37
steve bear

steve bear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to steve bear

was skinning out 2 deer Monday,woman ask me if i was ashamed i said yes i am i had a chance to shoot a 8pt buck & didn't shoot,still don't know why i let him walk.
steve bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #38
ciscokid

ciscokid is on a distinguished road

So I guess if you were a cattle farmer .. it would be OK to kill cows... right?

One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation.
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
Hoyt_563

Hoyt_563 is on a distinguished road

I usually say nothing but if i do its usually somthing like yeah but it is okay to kill chickens or cows.
Cobra DiamondBack
Maxima 250`s
Hoyt_563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #40
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okbowman View Post
If I felt like I couldn't talk about my hunting stories at work then I'd find a new job. Hey Bunny, I don't think you were trying very hard not to be a . Cause you sure sound like one. Don't worry about it Mathewsgirl, I wouldn't expect anything less from a "Yankee". You just keep whackin em and stackin em. If they can't handle you down across the Red then just move north. We dont mind good ol huntin stories, even at work.
arent you special..........