Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-09-2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Raxxor

Raxxor is on a distinguished road
Default Bow Recommendations...

Hey guys im new to the forum and im in the market for a new bow. Right now i have a Darton Trailboss and i just outgrew it. I had it since i was 13 and i am now 19 so im in need of something different. It will only be used for whitetailed deer. What do you guys shoot and what would you recommend? Thanks

Last edited by Raxxor; 10-09-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Raxxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
gizim_1132
Banned

gizim_1132 is on a distinguished road

BOWTECH!!!!!!! stay with an older bowtech if you wanna save money and the quality is alot better check out the classifieds and you can find a real nice used bow for reasonable price. But if I was you I would stay away from the dartons!!!
gizim_1132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
Raxxor

Well im looking for something new. But thanks.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
gizim_1132
Banned

If you want something new go for the bowtech 82nd airborne one of my favorites it will run you about 800 for the bare bow and prolly a couple hundred more for sights etc..... buying a new bow is quite the pricey deal these days prepare to spend well over 700-800 dollars
Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
PA.JAY

PA.JAY is on a distinguished road

Quote:
BOWTECH!!!!!!! stay with an older bowtech if you wanna save money and the quality is alot better check out the classifieds
HOW IS THAT BOWTECH SHOOTING THAT YOU RIPPED ME OFF ON ?? THIS PUNK TRADED BOWS WITH ME. SENT ME A BROKEN BOW & STRIPPED SOME ACCESSORIES OFF !
DO NOT TRADE OR ANYTHING WITH HIM. I'LL JUST CHALK IT UP TO HIS PARENTS DIDN'T TEACH HIM BETTER.

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums//showthread.php?t=19766
PA.JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 is on a distinguished road
Default Bow

I prefer Mathews my self, but there is a lot of good bows out there. Most importantly I would find a bow that feels good to you. I would try and find something around a 33" axle to axle length so the bow is a little more forgiving yet small enough to maneuver around in a stand or ground blind.
ridgewalker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Try as many as you can and find what feels best to you. The name on the bow is of little consequence.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
NerdHick
<<< Triumph!

NerdHick is on a distinguished road

Best bet is to shoot as many as you can, see what feels the best to you!

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff
NerdHick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
tmackey
shill's suck

tmackey is on a distinguished road

#1 I would advise you to get a bow that is your draw length.

#2 get a bow with a draw weight that you are comfortable with.

After that, it's personal preference.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #10
arrowslinger
Watch'em fly

arrowslinger is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to arrowslinger

I've had a Newberry Sb1, couple PSE's, Hoyts and now I have a Bowtech 101st airborne and I agree with alot of guys, just get what fits you and feels good. But, if you want a quiet, way to fast bow, get a 101st!!
arrowslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #11
gizim_1132
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.JAY View Post
HOW IS THAT BOWTECH SHOOTING THAT YOU RIPPED ME OFF ON ?? THIS PUNK TRADED BOWS WITH ME. SENT ME A BROKEN BOW & STRIPPED SOME ACCESSORIES OFF !
DO NOT TRADE OR ANYTHING WITH HIM. I'LL JUST CHALK IT UP TO HIS PARENTS DIDN'T TEACH HIM BETTER.

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums//showthread.php?t=19766
Excuse me I said to the admintrator send it back if you wanted I would not sell a broken bow to somebody due to the risk of injury and or death!!!!!
Why are you still complaining though call martin and they will replace them for free I have already talked to them and they said take it to a local martin dealer then the dealer will call them and the limbs will be sent out that day.
The only charge will be the shipping whicj is what 5 dollars!!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Raxxor

Alright thanks guys i havent gotten around to shoot any new bows yet but hopefully soon. Another question is Carbon arrows. Are these worth the money? How about sights whats good?

Last edited by Raxxor; 10-10-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
arrowslinger
Watch'em fly

If you want a SUPER bright sight get an extreme. Carbons are great for hunting but for target use and fun, I'd go with aluminums!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #14
arrowslinger
Watch'em fly

http://archeryoutpost.com/Extr%20Arch%20RT900%207.jpg

Awesome sight
Old 10-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
fstgstdsmpay
Adam of Archery Outfitter

fstgstdsmpay is on a distinguished road

As far as bows go just shoot a bunch and try as many as you can. I perfer hoyt for me hoyt bows just fit.

Sights - Has to be Sword or Spot Hogg, both are top quality, durable, bright, and the best out there in a pin sight.

Arrows - For sure go with carbon, there more durable then aluminum, cause they cant bend, there faster. For Hunting, 3D, any kind of shooting there great. I shoot for victory archery which make top notch carbons.
QDM FOR MICHIGAN http://www.qdma.com/

My CAMO SPACE http://www.camospace.com/fstgstdsmpay
fstgstdsmpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #16
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

You will get all kinds of answers here the best thing to do is decide which one feels better to you. As for arrows I switched a few years ago to carbon and really like them but be sure to flex test them before shooting each shot.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #17
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

I shoot a Hoyt Vectrix, Carbon Express Terminator Lt. arrows, and I use a very tough and bright Cobra Sidewinder Radiant sight. I'm not rich. I've spent a lot of hard earned money trying different stuff. I wound up with these average priced, top quality products. I consider these purchases money well spent. One suggestion I actually listened to was to find a bow that was among the top on my wish list picks, and buy it for 2/3 the price after they come out with the new models. That's why I own a Vectrix instead of a Katera, I shoot a discontinued model Cobra sight, and I shoot Terminators instead of Maxima's. Top quality. Average price. This can be done with almost any quality brand. I focus on value, not brand. Who knows, next time I may buy a Bowtech General, if they become affordable.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #18
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Since I haven't heard from either of you, I thought the trade between PAJay and gizim_1132 had been taken care of.

The right thing to do is swap back or
gizim_1132 gets a set of limbs sent to paJay and/or
gizim_1132 compensates PAJay for the limbs and missing items.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:23 PM   #19
beenfarr

beenfarr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxxor View Post
Hey guys im new to the forum and im in the market for a new bow. Right now i have a Darton Trailboss and i just outgrew it. I had it since i was 13 and i am now 19 so im in need of something different. It will only be used for whitetailed deer. What do you guys shoot and what would you recommend? Thanks
As far as a bow goes. Are you more into speed/hard hitting, or smooth and quiet. What's your draw length? If you don't know measure your wingspan from tip to tip and we'll figure it out. What's your budget? Do you want inexpensive, middle of the road, or high end? What kind of draw weight would you like to pull? 50-60 lbs, 60-70 lbs, or over 70 (not recommended)?

If I were you I would shop for a bow already knowing what your daw length is. If you have short arms alot of bows will be not fit you.

FBSA Member
beenfarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
BoneDigger

BoneDigger is on a distinguished road
Default Bows

I also have been doing a lot of shopping lately and I have been reading a lot of reviews at different archery sites. It would seem that most manufacturers are making a pretty descent bow these days. Some have a little vibration or don't seem as smooth, but ANY bow you buy today will be better than the older bow you were shooting. I would definately get something with a parallel or near parallel limb, but aside from that, it's really a matter of personal preference.

Darton makes good bows. So do many of the smaller manufacturers such as Martin, Parker, and Diamond, etc. I just shot a Bear Element at Gander Mountain and put one on layaway. They had it on sale (as a package) for $299 and I couldn't resist. It shot as well as my older Parker Phoenix, which cost me nearly $600 for just the bow!

Anyway, my point is that all of the manufacturers make good bows and you should do what you can to at least hold them and draw them back before buying anything. If you can actually shoot a few... EVEN BETTER! At least one of them will call your name. Then, regardless of price, do what you can to get it. A bow should fit well with the shooter.

Good luck in your search.

Todd
BoneDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 11:27 AM   #21
Cornfed

Cornfed is on a distinguished road

As some here have mentioned, you're gonna have to head to your local Pro Shop and shoot severa; bow and then make you choice on what feels best to YOU. Personally, I did just that this season and I walked out of the Shop with a Mathews DXT..... you'll be hard pressed to find a better feeling huntin' rig. Good luck and good shootin'
Cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #22
Raxxor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenfarr View Post
As far as a bow goes. Are you more into speed/hard hitting, or smooth and quiet. What's your draw length? If you don't know measure your wingspan from tip to tip and we'll figure it out. What's your budget? Do you want inexpensive, middle of the road, or high end? What kind of draw weight would you like to pull? 50-60 lbs, 60-70 lbs, or over 70 (not recommended)?

If I were you I would shop for a bow already knowing what your daw length is. If you have short arms alot of bows will be not fit you.

Well my bow is only used for Whitetail so i want it smooth, quiet and fast. My Draw length im not 100% sure and i cant find a tape measure at the moment but im guessing 28"-29". I want to draw 60-70 lbs. As far as budget i would like mid-high end bow which ever feels better to me but i would just like it to be under a grand. Im about 6'1 so im not a little guy. Thanks guys.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #23
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmackey View Post
#1 I would advise you to get a bow that is your draw length.

#2 get a bow with a draw weight that you are comfortable with.

After that, it's personal preference.
right wat bows we shoot you might hate so try for urself
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote