Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 11-12-2008, 09:35 AM   #1
Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt is on a distinguished road
Default The PA Game Commission has done it

If any of you guys are familiar with what the PA Game commission has done over the past few years, it worked! The game commission has called for a mass slaughter of the PA doe population. I do not agree with it and i never did. I have been killing the same amount of deer for the past 10 years, but licenses were increased, and the doe season was lengthened.

I am not the greatest hunter in PA, but i have had pretty good success hunting over the past few years. As for this year, I did kill a nice 9 pt buck. I think the antler restriction that was put in effect a few years ago was a great thing to do, but as for the doe population........

i have hunted pretty hard this year and i have had 1 doe in bow range. Not that i am even seeing any doe. I literally have seen more buck than doe, i don't think it is a good thing at all. you need mammas to make babies! this is both public and private land that i hunt, the deer aren't here anymore.

5 more years of this crap, you will get your picture in the paper for killing a doe!

my tally for the season that i have seen from the stand is 6 buck, 7 doe, and 9 that were too far away to tell, and like i said, only 1 doe was in bow range all year. it gets worse and worse every year.
Liv2Bowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

I live in Ohio and we can kill lots of does also. I don't think it is a problem as population is climbing. I hunt mostly on my own property and don't see does either from my stand. We haven't been shooting many for past 10 or so years. I see lots of bucks. My boy's have killed 2 this year and 1 small doe. I think the does are more clever to stay out of sight. My trail cam has taken lots of doe pictures but most in the middle of night. They are probably there but mostly nocturnal.
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

Wile I respect your opinion I could not disagree more. I live 45 miles south of you and I see on average 7-10 doe a night. In the off season in my back yard I put out 200 lbs of corn a week and we still have a few night that there is no corn left before I put more out. To put 200 lbs of corn in perspective that is about 8 five gallon buckets or 40 gallons of corn. It takes allot of deer to eat that much food in a week I am shore the dig difference is that I live in farm country. If you say it has affected the population in Pottsville that much Then they should do something about it. In wmu 5c we have more doe than you can shake a stick at. So many that most people that I know will not hunt them. I did this year and It took me two days to get one and when I did there was 7 under 20 yards and 5-6 that were out of range. Maybe they should change thing in your wmu but in mine we need to get rid of allot more. As i think back on this season I would bet that the doe to buck was 35 : 1. this was my first year of hunting so I can't compare it to years past. When I asked to hunt the land I took my deer from the owner told me to kill as many as I can because we have way to many. If you want to Shoot a doe or know some one who dose tell them to go to Montgomery or Chester county we have plenty of public land and a but load of doe.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt is on a distinguished road

that is exactly part of the problem. Your areas are taken into consideration for other parts of the state when it comes to deer population. look at the website and see how many licenses are left for the areas around pittsburg and philadelphia. I have been hunting a long time and I see the population going downhill. It wasn't all that long ago when i would see that many doe in an evening of hunting. only speaking from experience. One of the biggest factors is this area has alot of hunters, and the pgc gives alot of licenses.

Last edited by Liv2Bowhunt; 11-12-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Liv2Bowhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

I can see that being a problem. If they are counting the doe hear and applying those #s to your area that is a big problem. We do not have many hunters hear actually we can't even shoot a rifle in fire arms season smooth bore only. It is amazing to think that population can change so dramatically over such a small distance. If you ever want to take a doe and not feel bad about it you can find me through this site. I would be more than happy to get you out on this land that I hunt. Maybe if we could get the #s a bit lower hear they would tighten up on the hole state and make for better breeding up there.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

On one hand I see your point but on the other hand it depends on your geographic location and the deer population and any CWD issues you might have.

We have a HUGE deer over population here and you can get as many archery doe tags as you wish.

When it comes down to the local counties hiring 'professional' hunters to control deer population, which comes out of our pocket in taxes, I'll focus on does for the freezer for sure. And not to mention that fact that my vehicle insurance bill keeps going up in the area because of vehicle/deer strikes.

Deer population is a big problem here and it keeps getting worse.

Ron

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
duckslayer870

duckslayer870 is on a distinguished road

In my neck of the woods seeing 20 -30 does during a morning or afternoon sit is not unheard of until this year. I know the does are here I have pictures to prove it. but it seems like thaey have disappeared around here. I think that they are having there tails chase off right now and want to stay hidden. Its all I have been able to do to take 2 does with a rifle this year. i have been 4 times in the past 5 days and only seen 4 does and I have killed 2 of them. MMMMM JERKY
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #8
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

ive always seen more bucks then does where i hunt idk if its because im buck hunting usually not doe hunting or what but i dont mind bucks just respond that much better to calls
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote