Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 12-07-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
TxBowhunter05

TxBowhunter05 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to TxBowhunter05
Default Heavy enough arrows for elk hunting??

Hey guys im from Texas and do mostly whitetail huntin, but im goin to Colorado for an Elk hunt this upcoming bow season....I shoot a Hoyt Ultra-mag, with Easton Epic 400 arrows and 100 gr thunderhead broad heads. I was wondering if i need to change to a heavier arrow and broadhead....any advice would be great......Thanks
TxBowhunter05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Heavier is not necessary. But what is your draw length and draw weight.

I elk hunted at 65lbs and a 2413 arrow w/100gr head. Blew right through like butter.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
TxBowhunter05

im shootin 27" @ 62 lbs, im not sure how fast its shootin ive never clocked it. I was just wondering if i needed more weight for more velocity, and was wondering if it was gonna get good penatration.
Old 12-08-2004, 08:49 AM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

This is just my opinion so take it as you will. When I went elk hunting my buddy and I were shooting the same bow and nearly the same weight. He shot thunderheads and I shot muzzy.

He didn't get pass throughs on two shots. He hit it twice, both shots 25yards or less. I was very disappointed in the penetration that he got. The second shot was perfect broadside and hit it right in the lungs, still didn't pass through.

Could have been a tuning issue I guess but both shots should have passed right through. I was there and saw the animal when it was down. Saw exactly where the arrows were sticking out. So needless to say, I'm not a huge fan of thunderheads.

I really like the new slicktrick heads, you can find them a slicktrick.net
Muzzy's are great too, I shot them for many years.

Again, just my opinon.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #5
TxBowhunter05

yea i have shot 3 deer with these thunderheads, and i havent had one go all the way threw. They have all been lung shots and have buried to the fletchings, but never all the way through. Yea i would like to look at some muzzy's. Have you shot many deer, or other animals with muzzy's, and how were the results...I appreciate the help thanks
Old 02-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #6
C Dubb

C Dubb is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to C Dubb

I have hunted in Oregon for the past 10 years. I shoot 70lbs 28 inch draw with a Beman 400 and the Thunderhead 100's. I have shot many elk with this setup. The elk have not gone farther than about 30 yards away. Should not have any problems.

I will say that I found with my bow I went heavier to 125 gr and the 340 bemans. Just because my bow liked that better.

C Dubb
C Dubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:01 AM   #7
TxBowhunter05

Thanks alot
Old 03-20-2005, 07:04 PM   #8
TMan

TMan is on a distinguished road

If you're pulling more than 60lbs, you're good to go.

My elk setup is a 70lb Hoyt Magnatec Cam & 1/2 with CX Terminator 6075's, with 4" Quickspins keeping a Barrie Ironhead pointed in the right direction. Purely psychological though, something about looking at an elk 25 yds away that makes a 70lb setup feel better in your hands.
TMan is offline   Reply With Quote