Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
Newarcher84

Newarcher84 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Help - Bow explosion

The day started fine, I've just got the new sights I was expecting for a couple of weeks.

I was so excited when I came back home, just put it on the bow to see how everyting was working together.

I've just forgotten that I had the draw stop in my pocket (removed it to machine a new one).

So I've made a nice shot against the wall and ended up with the riser in one hand and the string+limbs in the other. Both limbs just poped out of their bolts.

I've bought this E-500 used and asked the seller to set the poundage to the minimum. I think the limbs were kind of loose (lucky?).

Well, I've called myself stupid one million times

I've checked every part thoroughly and It seems that I have no damage.
But I'm a real beginner - this is (was?) my first bow, I want to insure I don't miss anything before I put the string back.

Could you please tell me what are the most sensitive parts? And what part could have been damaged in the operation?

Thanks!
Newarcher84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Wait, what??

you pulled the bow apart like that and there is no visible damage???

this i gotta see.....

thank god you were not hurt......

Old 12-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Newarcher84

I appreciate your concerns.
I've just been hitted by the string on my wrist but the watch took almost everything. I still don't understand hiw the string arrived so far.

Maybe I haven't been clear, my bow is completely dismantled now.
But I can't see any broken part or visible irreversible damage.
Cams does'nt look bent and I can't see any crack on the limbs or the riser.

But maybe I'm not looking where I should.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 AM   #4
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

sounds like you had the limb bolts backed out too far. it's probably ok, put it back together, bottom out the limb bolts and then back them off no more than 4 full turns. alternate between the two of them, back the top one off a half turn and then the bottom. remember to put the draw stop back in. never draw a binary type cam without a draw stop, they could go into 100% let-off and lock up.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

I'd take to a pro shop and let them check it out
seeing as you are new to this.
it would be no fun for thing if it is damaged to blow up on you and I am sure that a new surprise is not to desired.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Newarcher84

I wish I could, but I have to drive 6 hours to find a pro shop.
For now I have no other option but wear all the safety items I can find, pray and shoot it again (must find a press first).

JC : Not sure I understand well. Are you meaning there is no relation between this accident and the fact I shot without draw stop?
When you say 4 turns, it's 4 turns by bolt?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarcher84 View Post
I wish I could, but I have to drive 6 hours to find a pro shop.
For now I have no other option but wear all the safety items I can find, pray and shoot it again (must find a press first).

JC : Not sure I understand well. Are you meaning there is no relation between this accident and the fact I shot without draw stop?
When you say 4 turns, it's 4 turns by bolt?

Thanks
well I couldnt say for sure of course, but I would guess that having the draw stop off didnt make the limbs pop out. I would guess it was because the limb bolts may have been turned out too many times. bow companies usually put a 10 lb weight range on their limbs with the highest weight being with the limb bolts turned all the way down. usually you get about a 2.5 lb loss for every full turn of the limb bolt, so you shouldnt go with more than 4 to keep it within the manufacturer's specs. and yes, I mean 4 turns on the limb bolt. hope this helps. I've had good luck with the Bowmaster portable bow press if you cant find a full size pne.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote