Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
msr1

msr1 is on a distinguished road
Default Starting Over

Well, I am starting over after about 12 years out of the sport. My 10 y/o son is interested and has asked santa to bring him a browning micro midas 3 (LOL) so therefore dad must buy a bow to help him learn..... I have around $500-$600 to spend on a new rig and was wondering if I would be better off buying a 1 or 2 y/o mainline (hoyt, mathews,pse, bowtech etc.) or buying a new what I will refer to as a midline bow (diamond, mission, etc.). Not saying there is anything wrong with the diamonds and such they are also fine rigs and I am seriously considering those as well just want some opinions as to what you all would do??? Thanks!
msr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I'm not sure which brand I would go with, but something with an adjustable draw lenth and decent speed is what I'd look for. The Browning would work, or the Diamond Edge. How different is the micros midas 3 from the 2?
This site's sponsor sells both I think, obsession archery.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #3
msr1

OH I think my first post may be a bit confusing...the micro midas 3 is for my 10 y/o and it is already bought.....I am looking for a bow now for me.....
Old 12-17-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Oh, OK. Well whats your draw lenth and what do you think you'll mainly use the bow for? Are you planning on hunting, or more into the target stuff? Not alot of difference really, except that 3d shooters put a hi priority on speed. There are some great bows out there used.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
msr1

draw length is 28" (27.5 w/ loop) and will primarily use it for hunting but would like to do 3D as my son gets older and can judge distances better....looking HARD at used top end bows right now...hoyt and mathews primarily.... I am really looking for this to be something the two of us can do together......
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
red44

I'm no authority on all bows by any means. I have a couple Mathews I bought used and they've been great. A conquest 2 and a rival pro. I'd also look at the LX, MQ1, original Switchback, and Prestige. Of those, the Prestige would probably be the fastest and most $$, the Switchback the smoothest, and the LX the best in between those two.
Hoyt's I'm not so familiar with, but the Ultratec was said to be a great bow. My son has an ultrasport which is really a base model, but it's been a good bow too. The Protec is a little slower than the ultratec but has more brace height.
My bud has an xtec, and shot the trycon, not the best Hoyts in his opinion.
Thats about all I know about Hoyts.
If you got one in mind, ....?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

welcome...
There are some great deals out there...
bows I have shot and liked alot are Diamond Black Ice, Mathews SwitchbackXT, and Pearson Z34...

There is a used Z34 28" in the classified now
http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21712

Good luck and have fun

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
AzRednekRabbit

AzRednekRabbit is on a distinguished road

I think Diamond bows are awesome first of all. If you are lookin' for a great deal check on the web for a Reflex Growler bow kit for $350 on a major website. Think top three outdoor dealers. I own one and it's flippen sweet for the price. Also, it's a spin off from Hoyt. It's pretty quick and quiet.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #9
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Here's what I do. I shoot a vatiety of brands and models. I pick my favorites and look for similar models a year or two older, unsold and still hanging on the rack. These can often be bought for 2/3 the original cost. I got a new 2007 Hoyt Vectrix for $425 this year. I love this bow. If I were still shopping I'd be looking at the unsold 2008 Bowtec General's. A new one could be found for less than $600. I wouldn't buy a used one because of the limb warranty issues. 2008 Vectrix and Katera's should be more affordable now, as well. These are only two examples of many awesom bows that can be had for much less than the original price, once they fall out of fashion. Have fun!
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 AM   #10
msr1

Thanks guys for the help. I think I have narrowed it down between the Hoyt Vulcan or Katera or the Mathews LX or Switchback, which ever one I can get the best deal on within my budget I don't think I could go wrong with either one. What do you guys think?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #11
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr1 View Post
Thanks guys for the help. I think I have narrowed it down between the Hoyt Vulcan or Katera or the Mathews LX or Switchback, which ever one I can get the best deal on within my budget I don't think I could go wrong with either one. What do you guys think?
all great bows...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
msr1

is Mathews q2 any good?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #13
msr1

I don't guess they are worth commenting on......??????
Old 12-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr1 View Post
You might want to check out the Drennelin and the Vectrix Plus, also. There's nothing wrong with your other picks. Just suggesting others to try.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
msr1

Well I finally decided and settled on a brand spankin new Elite Aigil with a trophy taker drop away rest and axiom 3 pin F/O sight. A great shooting bow!!!!! My son has been shooting his new bow and loves it can't wait to get us both out there shooting....