Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #41
48down

48down is on a distinguished road

I killed a doe over bait on christmas day. My other 3 deer this year have been killed with no bait, no food plot, no attractant of any kind. For me I get more out of shooting a deer without any attractant although I sit many days without seeing deer.

But, Every once in a while it is fun to sit by a feeder and shoot a deer. Sometimes a lot of fun. Don't knock it till you try it. Ever hunted doves over a grain field? Kinda fun isn't it?

Last edited by 48down; 12-27-2008 at 08:30 PM.
48down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:39 AM   #42
burls1059

burls1059 is on a distinguished road

Really ...this comes down to personal ethics/choice...you have to decide what you feel is right...thats whats great about this country...you decide what is ethically as it applies to you according to your states DNR rules.

As for forums...its like it was said in an early reply opinions are like $##@$#'s everyone has one...lol
burls1059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #43
Holger Danske

Holger Danske is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Heck lets all hunt with are bare hands in loin cloths.
not legal in my state, but it sounds like fun
Holger Danske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #44
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

scottnorthwest is on a distinguished road

This is interesting to me being born and raised in the west. Hunting here has always been, well hunting. No tree stands, no food plots. My first deer required miles of walking through the hills and brush of southern Utah. Here in Washington I still will likely have to put in at least a couple miles to find my deer or elk. I just can not see sitting on a feeder or food plot as hunting. Seems more like harvesting to me, the way one would pick a tomato.

I know it is accepted practice for many white tail hunters, and that is fine by me, just not for me.

We do have the advantage here in the west on many thousands of square miles of public lands. Nothing like stalking a mule deer across a few miles of sage to make a hunt memorable. Trying to get the drop on a Blacktail in heavy timber can be pretty strenuous too. Mountains or plains I gotta work for my meal.
scottnorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #45
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

As long as it is done within the laws then I say to each his own. Javi you make some very good points here.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #46
frs123

frs123 is on a distinguished road

yes to each thier own and al long as its legal go with it. that said ive never hunted out of a tree stand or a bait. i enjoy what d.b. posts but on his list the only one i use is a compound bow. all public land spot and stalk. but if we dont stand together as was said peta wants us all gone, i dont know about yall but i also run bear and cat with hounds and couple that with bow hunting now some make me out to be public enemy number one and want to put me on the fbi most wanted list. bottom line is we have to stand together each and every one of us and we need to keep introducing new and young hunters, welcoming them with open arms and teaching them everything we can to preserve what we love and live to do. good luck to yall and may it be a season to remember.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #47
IChim2
IChim2 and he's a shooter

IChim2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ill be putting an eleven year old on a feeder tommorrow to shoot his first deer. Get this he wont care and will have the thrill of his life. Its legal and 100% fair in my state. Now please inform how you hunt so I can bash it to pieces. Try me and see if I cant find plenty that think the way you hunt is terriable.
DB
Hey,if it's legal where you live...so be it.Is it hunting?..No.All your wanting to do is use a 11 yearold to justify your way of thinking and satisfaction.Not how i would want to start a kid out on hunting.Ok to start him out over a large food plot or in the real woods......but a pile of bait...why not take him to a petting farm and let him shoot something.Geeeze,jmo.
IChim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #48
dodgedude2003

dodgedude2003 is on a distinguished road

Personally, I am in favor of more hunters over less hunters.

Each person has their own standards (ethics) controlling what they will and won't do.

Most importantly, since this started with watching this on TV, and it conflicts with your ethics, the solution is easy. CHANGE THE CHANNEL. Vote with your feet; err thumb I guess, and take your viewing elsewhere. Same reason I don't watch the shows that feature a lot of long range rifle hunting.
dodgedude2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #49
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgedude2003 View Post
Personally, I am in favor of more hunters over less hunters.

Each person has their own standards (ethics) controlling what they will and won't do.

Most importantly, since this started with watching this on TV, and it conflicts with your ethics, the solution is easy. CHANGE THE CHANNEL. Vote with your feet; err thumb I guess, and take your viewing elsewhere. Same reason I don't watch the shows that feature a lot of long range rifle hunting.
Very good post.....

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #50
redhorse

redhorse is on a distinguished road

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but if it gets the kids out there and those that may not be able to hunt by any other means than from a wheel chair or some other surcumstance than what is wrong with it? I love still hunting but still sit the stand over a block or some other form as well. Many studies have been done and it seems to come back that hunting over bait does not offer any advantage at least with whitetail. There is ample food source available year round or else none of could hunt anything. What it does offer by hunting bait though is suplamental nutrients for a healthier herd to produce that trophy that you wish to get someday. Hunting bait still requires doing your homework and getting out there. A hotter topic to me is durring the gun seasons how people are allowed to drive the deer from every corner of the state to the other. This results in how many deaths and trespassing issues every year not to mention the tax dollars that are spent for law officers to step up patrols because people don't care where they go, or have not seen their gun since they put it away last season. I would love to get my children out in the woods, but when I have to worry about the guy that walks past my blind in my woods without permission or better yet the fact that the buck that has been laying behind that tree for the past hour jumps and runs between myself and the guy who don't know where I am (I mean he don't know he is trespassing, how would he know I am there.) I really think that there are bigger and better subjects to worry about. Get out and hunt. Be ethical about what you do and respectful of those who have not closed the door to hunting. Or we will all be shooting tomatoes in the garden to have something to hunt shoot what ever you call it or however you twist it. If your out there good if you can get someone else out great, if you pass it on to the next generation outstanding, losing the right to hunt or shoot or harvest or bear arms or fly Old Glory in your front yard, That is what will happen if we cannot use our own heads about what we do.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #51
steve bear

steve bear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to steve bear

Quote:
No scents
No compound bows
No GPS
No treestands
No water holes.
No acorn trees
No food plots
No game cameras
No deer blinds
No private managed deer herds
Everyone hunt public lands
No paying for leases
No guides
Heck lets all hunt with are bare hands in loin cloths.
tks...i did not need that pic in my head..db in a loin cloth.
steve bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:22 PM   #52
PblankC
Young'Un

PblankC is on a distinguished road

In my humble opinion, to me hunting over a baited area would not make for a good time, for me.

I came into hunting to walk around in the forest and stalk, perhaps hang a tree-stand over a trail. It's all a matter of opinion when it comes down to it.

So why can't we all just get along, and concentrate on dealing with the greater enemy; PETA!

Thanks,
Paul,
PblankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #53
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Thats your opionion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
Hey,if it's legal where you live...so be it.Is it hunting?..No.All your wanting to do is use a 11 yearold to justify your way of thinking and satisfaction.Not how i would want to start a kid out on hunting.Ok to start him out over a large food plot or in the real woods......but a pile of bait...why not take him to a petting farm and let him shoot something.Geeeze,jmo.

I have taken kids all my life. I give my time and effort to get them in the woods. I took a disabled vet this year in a blind in front of feeder. He had the time of his life. Its legal and if you have a promblem with someone taking a kid hunting. You need to go take a deep breath. Some of the guys I took at a very young age are ethical hunters. Who are you to judge anyone that hunts. I dont have to jutisfy my way of hunting. I know its legal in my state. I have wrote articles for years in the newpaper and guys like you are whats wrong with hunting. You think your way is the only way. Get overself. By the way this kid is most likely a better hunter at his age than you might ever be. He helps his dad guide and is a very ethical kid. Please inform how you hunt! Im sure I could pick it apart.
Like you know something about taking others hunting. I do it ever year and have done for years.
DB

He looks so sad.

Bowhunting forum

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 03-25-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #54
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

If that's hunting for you good! I think if someone thinks it is the wrong way thier view should be respected to! If you want people to repect your views on hunting respect thiers too.

I personaly would never hunt deer from a blind, over bait, or from a stand, I don't feel it is hunting FOR ME! If you wanna, knock yourself out! I respect your right to do so and your right to call it hunting, but don't make me call it hunting.....
Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #55
Daniel Boone

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnorthwest View Post
If that's hunting for you good! I think if someone thinks it is the wrong way thier view should be respected to! If you want people to repect your views on hunting respect thiers too.

I personaly would never hunt deer from a blind, over bait, or from a stand, I don't feel it is hunting FOR ME! If you wanna, knock yourself out! I respect your right to do so and your right to call it hunting, but don't make me call it hunting.....
Then explain how you hunt. You have elimanated several ways many hunt. I
really want to know how you hunt and have you ever hunted in other states.
I dont care how you hunt or what you call it. Have fun and do it legal. Harvest only matter to the person who shoots the animal.
DB

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 03-25-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #56
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree that some forms of hunting methods are not for me.. However, I feel as long as it's legal, you can hunt any way you choose. I really don't care. Now, I may not participate but that does not mean I'll give you any grief about hunting.

As hunters, we have enough trouble with the anti's and segregating our group and fighting between groups only makes us easier to take down.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #57
Daniel Boone

Default Well said Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
While I agree that some forms of hunting methods are not for me.. However, I feel as long as it's legal, you can hunt any way you choose. I really don't care. Now, I may not participate but that does not mean I'll give you any grief about hunting.

As hunters, we have enough trouble with the anti's and segregating our group and fighting between groups only makes us easier to take down.

I often wonder when someone critasizes other hunters in many forms and how others hunt. That we dont have a Peta person amoung us here. If hunters dont start stop critasizing each other and try to promote the sport. We wont survive. Dont think for a minute Peta is not watching these threads.
DB
Old 03-25-2009, 09:35 PM   #58
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Quote:
Then explain how you hunt. You have elimanated several ways many hunt. I
really want to know how you hunt and have you ever hunted in other states.
I dont care how you hunt or what you call it. Have fun and do it legal. Harvest only matter to the person who shoots the animal.
DB
I don't care how you hunt either, just do not insist I call it hunting.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:01 PM   #59
frs123

all my hunting is on foot or horseback to get back into the backcountry. whether it be elk or deer with a bow or rifle i have never used a bait or treestand. when i can i stalk and use calls to try and get them in range. i do use a atv and a wagon when i hunt with my dogs to strike a bear and when they are turned loose im on foot following them. that said i take my hat off to any one who takes a youngster, disabled, or any other first time hunter. if its legal where you hunt thats all that matters. when i can no longer hunt the way i do now i may very well use a treestand or bait. not gonna knock it just cause i havent done it. we all need to stand with each other or we will be talking about the old days when we could hunt. good luck to all and for damn sure pass this sport we love on to others to carry it forward.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #60
Daniel Boone

Default Tell me how you hunt

Quote:
I don't care how you hunt either, just do not insist I call it hunting.
Apparently you think hunting is different. Explain yourself.

You use calls? You hunt over water holes? Maybe I wont call what you do hunting but I would doubt it.
DB
Old 03-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #61
Daniel Boone

Default Honestly

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs123 View Post
all my hunting is on foot or horseback to get back into the backcountry. whether it be elk or deer with a bow or rifle i have never used a bait or treestand. when i can i stalk and use calls to try and get them in range. i do use a atv and a wagon when i hunt with my dogs to strike a bear and when they are turned loose im on foot following them. that said i take my hat off to any one who takes a youngster, disabled, or any other first time hunter. if its legal where you hunt thats all that matters. when i can no longer hunt the way i do now i may very well use a treestand or bait. not gonna knock it just cause i havent done it. we all need to stand with each other or we will be talking about the old days when we could hunt. good luck to all and for damn sure pass this sport we love on to others to carry it forward.

I know some that think using dogs while chasing game is wrong. I have never hunted a bear or ever hunted them with dogs. So I cant say it isn't hunting.
Some think using calls or scents is bad. I just got to feel some that think that others are not hunters or how they hunt are not being realistic.
DB
Old 03-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #62
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Quote:
Apparently you think hunting is different. Explain yourself.

You use calls? You hunt over water holes? Maybe I wont call what you do hunting but I would doubt it.
DB
Hunting for me, is well hunting. For deer I take my bow and my feet. I use a rangefinder for a more ethical shot, that is about it. I gohunt for them, stalk them, and if that works shoot them.

I don't have any problem with what you do, for me it is not hunting. I respect you call it hunting, why can't you respect I do not without saying I am bashing or hurting hunting? I am sorry, I do not feel it is hunting, why is it so important to you that I see it as hunting? I would compromise and call it harvesting if that makes you feel better.

I realize that concealing yourself over a food source is hunting in many many areas and that is fine for people who wish to do so. I was not raised that way and do not share that opinion.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 PM   #63
frs123

Quote:
I know some that think using dogs while chasing game is wrong. I have never hunted a bear or ever hunted them with dogs. So I cant say it isn't hunting.
Some think using calls or scents is bad. I just got to feel some that think that others are not hunters or how they hunt are not being realistic.
DB
people give us houndsmen hell all the time. they dont realize that for most of us the real joy is the dogs. raising training and seeing it all pay off at the tree for pix. a dead bear or lion cant be run again. ive killed one bear and never killed a lion but will when i catch the right one. i use calls and scents especially when elk hunting the rut and that is accepted where i hunt. and legal. not trying to bash anyone as some dont agree with some of the ways i hunt. i just think we all need to stand together. and i enjoy reading all your posts. i have learned alot from ya all and appreciate it all.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:10 PM   #64
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs123 View Post
people give us houndsmen hell all the time. they dont realize that for most of us the real joy is the dogs. raising training and seeing it all pay off at the tree for pix. a dead bear or lion cant be run again. ive killed one bear and never killed a lion but will when i catch the right one. i use calls and scents especially when elk hunting the rut and that is accepted where i hunt. and legal. not trying to bash anyone as some dont agree with some of the ways i hunt. i just think we all need to stand together. and i enjoy reading all your posts. i have learned alot from ya all and appreciate it all.
Haha, well the dogs are definitely hunting! You are just chasing dogs! (That was a joke before anyone goes ballistic)
Old 03-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #65
Daniel Boone

Default Interesting

Quote:
Hunting for me, is well hunting. For deer I take my bow and my feet. I use a rangefinder for a more ethical shot, that is about it. I gohunt for them, stalk them, and if that works shoot them.

I don't have any problem with what you do, for me it is not hunting. I respect you call it hunting, why can't you respect I do not without saying I am bashing or hurting hunting? I am sorry, I do not feel it is hunting, why is it so important to you that I see it as hunting? I would compromise and call it harvesting if that makes you feel better.

I realize that concealing yourself over a food source is hunting in many many areas and that is fine for people who wish to do so. I was not raised that way and do not share that opinion.
You dont use scents? You just walk and stalk deer. You dont like blinds?
So you have never turkey hunted turkeys Im assuming. Maybe I could say that stalking adeer is high risk and hunting should not be done this way. Would I be wrong for thinking this way about the way you hunt. Yes it would be wrong. There not one thing that you could say to make me think your way is better than anyone elses.
DB
DB
Old 03-25-2009, 11:31 PM   #66
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Quote:
You dont use scents? You just walk and stalk deer. You dont like blinds?
So you have never turkey hunted turkeys Im assuming. Maybe I could say that stalking adeer is high risk and hunting should not be done this way. Would I be wrong for thinking this way about the way you hunt. Yes it would be wrong. There not one thing that you could say to make me think your way is better than anyone elses.
DB
DB
The difference between you and I is I really do not care what you think of my hunting. I really, really do not care. I just can't figure out why you care what I think.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 AM   #67
Daniel Boone

Default Big difference

Quote:
The difference between you and I is I really do not care what you think of my hunting. I really, really do not care. I just can't figure out why you care what I think.
I support hunting and hunters. You seem to feel obligated to tell how you dont care for this and that in your statements here. But yet once someone has a question why, you dont answer. I could care less what you think of my hunting. Im an open book and proud of it and how I conduct and promote hunting. Others feel better to just come say I dont hunt this way or this way. But yet to really say how they hunt. Thats my point. Easy to give the I dont hunt this way and never tell anyone how you hunt.
DB
Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 AM   #68
MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 is on a distinguished road

I'll happily tell how I hunt and what I want from the hunt. To be "hunting" is going after the intended animal in as natural an envierment as possible for my skills. I get my satisfaction from besting the animal on their own terms as much as possible. The actual harvest is secondary. Yes, I will use a tree stand or I stalk. Yes I do use camo. But I fit myself into THEIR surrondings as much as possible. I don't train them to come to mine. I try to become as much of a natural predator as humanly possible. And yes I have taken many a youth into the woods to teach (and many disbled vets have hunted with me (I am one)). One of the "disbled vets is one of my best friends and he has a fake leg. He left the real one in S.E. Asia. But I also teach the kids that passing on a deer can be more important than harvesting one. I would have had the kid pass on the deer pictured above. But that is just me. I teach it is NOT the kill thats important,but the actual hunt is. That is why I hunt with a Bow and no longer use a rifle. It is more difficult and requires more skill. Sitting over "bait" would be boring to me. I neither condemn nor condone it. It just is not for me. The challenge is what I'm after not the kill. Killing is just easy.
Do I condemn hunting over bait...No. Would I do it....No. You only get out of hunting what you put into it. There are Archers that hunt and there are HUNTERS that use Bows. I consider myself the latter.
MoSkeeter0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #69
Daniel Boone

Default Does

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
I'll happily tell how I hunt and what I want from the hunt. To be "hunting" is going after the intended animal in as natural an envierment as possible for my skills. I get my satisfaction from besting the animal on their own terms as much as possible. The actual harvest is secondary. Yes, I will use a tree stand or I stalk. Yes I do use camo. But I fit myself into THEIR surrondings as much as possible. I don't train them to come to mine. I try to become as much of a natural predator as humanly possible. And yes I have taken many a youth into the woods to teach (and many disbled vets have hunted with me (I am one)). One of the "disbled vets is one of my best friends and he has a fake leg. He left the real one in S.E. Asia. But I also teach the kids that passing on a deer can be more important than harvesting one. I would have had the kid pass on the deer pictured above. But that is just me. I teach it is NOT the kill thats important,but the actual hunt is. That is why I hunt with a Bow and no longer use a rifle. It is more difficult and requires more skill. Sitting over "bait" would be boring to me. I neither condemn nor condone it. It just is not for me. The challenge is what I'm after not the kill. Killing is just easy.
Do I condemn hunting over bait...No. Would I do it....No. You only get out of hunting what you put into it. There are Archers that hunt and there are HUNTERS that use Bows. I consider myself the latter.
Everyone hunts how they feel. I hunt like you do as well. In my lease we have a 20 to 1 ratio of does. We have dmap permits and can shoot as many as we want. Feeders are a way to get more does harvested which helps the over all herd. Its a way of deer management. I applaud for hunting how you feel is right for you. Glad to hear you take fellow hunters in the woods as well.
DB
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #70
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Quote:
I support hunting and hunters. You seem to feel obligated to tell how you dont care for this and that in your statements here. But yet once someone has a question why, you dont answer. I could care less what you think of my hunting. Im an open book and proud of it and how I conduct and promote hunting. Others feel better to just come say I dont hunt this way or this way. But yet to really say how they hunt. Thats my point. Easy to give the I dont hunt this way and never tell anyone how you hunt.
DB
Well, if you scroll back a few days I explained how I hunt, and why I likely feel the way I do. I am still at a loss why you want to jump all over me because I have a different view than you do, I certainly never disparaged your view, just said it was not for me.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #71
Daniel Boone

Default Let it drop

Quote:
Well, if you scroll back a few days I explained how I hunt, and why I likely feel the way I do. I am still at a loss why you want to jump all over me because I have a different view than you do, I certainly never disparaged your view, just said it was not for me.
I simple ask why you dont feel blinds or treestands arent hunting.
DB
Old 03-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #72
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Quote:
I simple ask why you dont feel blinds or treestands arent hunting.
DB
Because for "me" hunting involves chasing, pursuing, hunting. Again "I" would feel like a gardener picking a tomato if "I" was in a tree stand over a feeder. "I" value the hunt over the kill. Is it so bad that "I" feel that way?

I will be taking a young man hunting this fall because his father will be in Afghanistan fighting for my right to believe and feel how I wish on any subject. He is fighting for your right to believe how you wish. No where does it say we have to believe what each other believe, but I do believe it was intended that we respect how others believe.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #73
Daniel Boone

Default Works for me

Quote:
Because for "me" hunting involves chasing, pursuing, hunting. Again "I" would feel like a gardener picking a tomato if "I" was in a tree stand over a feeder. "I" value the hunt over the kill. Is it so bad that "I" feel that way?

I will be taking a young man hunting this fall because his father will be in Afghanistan fighting for my right to believe and feel how I wish on any subject. He is fighting for your right to believe how you wish. No where does it say we have to believe what each other believe, but I do believe it was intended that we respect how others believe.
Hunt how you like. To each his own. I comend you for taking others. Your not any different than myself as much as you make yourself believe it. You make it sound like hunting over a feeder is garanteed harvest. I can show you a years worth of pictures on a feeder and not one mature buck. I find this quite funny for those who have never hunted around a feeder. You very seldom catch big bucks over feeders in my state or lease other than nighttime. I hunt the accorns and natural feed sources most the time. Game trails during the rut. Many here have hunted with me and seen my stands.
I have over 20 stands that I hunt on my lease. Two have feeders that actually are my brothers that we share stands. I hunted for 23years without any feeders and harvest bigger deer. Feeders dont garantee success and thats a fact. Understand your thoughts. Hope you have a great year in the field. Personally I could care less if I harvest or not. I enjoy the woods.
DB
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #74
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Oh I know the feeders don't garantee anything. I have to ask though, don't you get bored sitting in a tree? I would fall asleep......

People use blinds and stands here, but not many. I have hunted Wyoming for Antelope the last two years. The first year my buddy set up on a water hole, I went out and chased them. He got his the first day I got zip. Second year he chased them with me and we both filled our tags, he said it was much more fun. We were there for five days and the GPS said we logged 70 miles!

The first year I took my son hunting he opted for muzzle loader because he did not feel confident with the bow. We went during late season and chased mulies. We never had an opportunity until the last day when we came around the edge of a rise and there was the buck about 100 yards off. He is really good at that range but it was snowing and blowing a bit. I told him to go ahead if he thought he could make the shoot. He lined up, aimed, then dropped the muzzle. What he said next made me more proud than any kill would have. He said, "I am not sure I can make the shot, we will have to come back and get him next year".
Old 03-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #75
Daniel Boone

Default Honestly

Quote:
Oh I know the feeders don't garantee anything. I have to ask though, don't you get bored sitting in a tree? I would fall asleep......

People use blinds and stands here, but not many. I have hunted Wyoming for Antelope the last two years. The first year my buddy set up on a water hole, I went out and chased them. He got his the first day I got zip. Second year he chased them with me and we both filled our tags, he said it was much more fun. We were there for five days and the GPS said we logged 70 miles!

The first year I took my son hunting he opted for muzzle loader because he did not feel confident with the bow. We went during late season and chased mulies. We never had an opportunity until the last day when we came around the edge of a rise and there was the buck about 100 yards off. He is really good at that range but it was snowing and blowing a bit. I told him to go ahead if he thought he could make the shoot. He lined up, aimed, then dropped the muzzle. What he said next made me more proud than any kill would have. He said, "I am not sure I can make the shot, we will have to come back and get him next year".
Im older and lazier no doubt. (Fourwheelers to and from now days) My early years I made hunting a job. I enjoy the relaxing in the tree and it helps me keep my insanity sometimes. Gives me time to reflex on life and there always something happening in the woods. Birds/squirrels. Hunt with your son will be your best, atleast they were for me. Do it often before they start chasing two legged dears.

Turkey hunting in a blind. Gosh I love the naps in the turkey blinds Getting a turkey close enough to shoot with a bow is tough no matter how you do it and its one of my favortie types of hunting. There a skill in setting a blind in just the right place. Plus I get some great shots with my camera which I love to use in the woods anytime.

I just appreciate we have a chance to go see mother nature and all she has to offer. My thoughts if more kids hunted this life would be a better place.
DB
Old 03-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #76
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

Know what I don't understand? Why some feel that a hunt is only successful if they kill a BUCK? Oh sure, a doe or spike is OK for a new hunter or a lady or the handicapped, but not for a "REAL HUNTER". BS if you ask me. Any animal killed is a blessing and a trophey.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #77
Daniel Boone

Default Amen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
Know what I don't understand? Why some feel that a hunt is only successful if they kill a BUCK? Oh sure, a doe or spike is OK for a new hunter or a lady or the handicapped, but not for a "REAL HUNTER". BS if you ask me. Any animal killed is a blessing and a trophey.
Trophy in the eye of the beholder. I remember my first Buck (Spike) Man did I feel like something harvesting that animal.
DB
Old 03-26-2009, 09:37 PM   #78
scottnorthwest
Wabbit Huntin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
Compensating?
Old 03-29-2009, 08:59 PM   #79
ib4hoyt
Riff Raff

ib4hoyt is on a distinguished road

if you like it and its legal,go for it
ib4hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:19 AM   #80
iawalleyeguy
iawalleyeguy

iawalleyeguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Eye View Post
I’ve enjoyed hunting over many years as much as anyone. I think hunting is a great sport and everyone is entitled to participate. However, I’m balking at what I saw last night as a “sport”. Last night, and on previous episodes of Versus, “hunters” arrive at an African hunting camp and are immediately placed in a ground blind 20 yards from an open area that is laced with food (some sort of vegetation). The “hunter” and “guide” sit inside and watch as several Kudos appear. They are surrounded by Kudos and other wildlife. Within an hour two Kudos are shot, by two separate “hunters” each taking their turn inside the blind. The Kudos were within 20 yds, broadside, standing still, and eating the bait. A bit later Wildebeests appear and the same thing again; shot at 20 yd. while broadside and eating. It was like shooting at domestic cattle, certainly not hunting in the normal sense. Yet, the “hunters” are euphoric, with high fives all around as though they have made a great hunting accomplishment.

When hunting is always “under the gun” why add fodder to the argument? This was ridiculous! Why would anyone consider this hunting in the first place? I can just imagine the exaggerated stories that will be told about their great adventure in Africa. This will damage the sport!
I agree that this should not be considered "HUNTING" seems to me it should be called "FEEDING and KILLING" lets be honest here any animal wild or not is going to feed at the easiest place to find food and if that food is in the same place every day ,guess what? thats where they will eat!How different is it than shooting an animal that is swimming?To me it is exactly the same! Baiting is illegal in my state as it should be everywhere!! GET OFF YOUR ASS AND HUNT! Or at the very least call it what it is!
iawalleyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote