Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 01-07-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
kamiwalker527
Green Horn

kamiwalker527 is on a distinguished road
Default Back Tension Release

I recently began learning how to use a back tension. Can any one say "miss fire"? Miss Firing seems to be all I do with this thing . When I can get it to work, it is a sweet little tool. One thing I have noticed is practicing with the back tension has improved my accuracy with the trigger release. It has helped me to overcome my target panic and learn to be patient. I no longer fire as soon as I acquire the target. Those two things alone have helped to increase my scores by more than 30 points on average in just 4 weeks.

Gary
kamiwalker527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
sbuckle

sbuckle is on a distinguished road

The secret to BT is setting the cam with a long delay to start and allow yourself to pull, mainly with the index finger, to full anchor without miss firing. I struggled for months and a lot of guys where I shot sat back and watched the show, no one helped me. Then one day one of the better shooters took me aside and showed me how to use it properly. I always shoot it with a clicker and after I anchor, I slowly rotate my wrist to roll the cam over to the click position. Then I set in to the back tension mode, tell myself to aim, aim, aim and pull with my back muscles until it fires. You need to concentrate on the aiming and let the release go off subconsciously. In order to do it consistantly you need to blank bale at a short distance until it is natural. Then you can start to back off the travel on the cam so you don't have to rotate your wrist so much to get to the clicker. If you get to the point it miss fires when you draw, mark the cam with a fine marker and add some travel to it, say 1/16" at a time.

You have to feel comfortable shooting this type of release so get it to a point you like and stick with. Always take time before you shoot to blank bale with your eyes shut to feel the shot.

Hope this helps!
sbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
kamiwalker527
Green Horn

kamiwalker527 is on a distinguished road
Default BT release

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuckle View Post
The secret to BT is setting the cam with a long delay to start and allow yourself to pull, mainly with the index finger, to full anchor without miss firing. I struggled for months and a lot of guys where I shot sat back and watched the show, no one helped me. Then one day one of the better shooters took me aside and showed me how to use it properly. I always shoot it with a clicker and after I anchor, I slowly rotate my wrist to roll the cam over to the click position. Then I set in to the back tension mode, tell myself to aim, aim, aim and pull with my back muscles until it fires. You need to concentrate on the aiming and let the release go off subconsciously. In order to do it consistantly you need to blank bale at a short distance until it is natural. Then you can start to back off the travel on the cam so you don't have to rotate your wrist so much to get to the clicker. If you get to the point it miss fires when you draw, mark the cam with a fine marker and add some travel to it, say 1/16" at a time.

You have to feel comfortable shooting this type of release so get it to a point you like and stick with. Always take time before you shoot to blank bale with your eyes shut to feel the shot.

Hope this helps!
Yes it does. I did finally get the index finger safe position down. I use my thumb to hold it in the safe position until I have acquired the target. My archery muscles have a way to go when it comes to maintaining a good aim. It floats quite naturally for me. It just floats in a bigger area than I want it to. I will get there.

Gary
kamiwalker527 is offline   Reply With Quote