Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #1
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road
Default HOYT Defiant

Can someone tell me what year a HOYT Defiant was built. I am looking at a used target bow but owner don't know age.
Thanks
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #2
master Cleatus
Jerry Whittington

master Cleatus is on a distinguished road

my father in law has one...im wanting to say 1999 or there abouts...fast bow
master Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
MOTU

MOTU is on a distinguished road

I bought mine new in 1996.
MOTU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
arrowum

arrowum is on a distinguished road

I had one must aleast 10 to 15 years old.
arrowum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
arrowum

arrowum is on a distinguished road

I think ??? the striker took its place. might be wrong
arrowum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
kebees4

Default value

What are they worth in good shape? Parts available?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
tedlebo

tedlebo is on a distinguished road

It was '95 or '96 when I bought mine; loved that bow.
As for parts?? I don't think Hoyt keeps parts on hand for vintage bows. You may be relegated to classifieds and e-bay for that.

Ted
tedlebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
Can someone tell me what year a HOYT Defiant was built. I am looking at a used target bow but owner don't know age.
Thanks
you got a pic???

wasnt that bow made at the same timeout as the Havoc??
Old 01-18-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
kebees4

I haven't seen it yet. No picture. The guys getting a divorce and selling off stuff. Should see it by mid week.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #10
archerykid12

archerykid12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
What are they worth in good shape? Parts available?
100 - 150 is all that i would expect it to be worth
archerykid12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
chuck7413

chuck7413 is on a distinguished road

Hoyt made the Defiant in 1995-1996, but also made a new Defiant in around 2000-2001. A pic would help determine which defiant it is.
chuck7413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck7413 View Post
Hoyt made the Defiant in 1995-1996, but also made a new Defiant in around 2000-2001. A pic would help determine which defiant it is.
yup......should be able to tell by the limbs that are on it.....
Old 01-18-2009, 08:42 PM   #13
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

The defiant was made in many configurations. I have one with XT 2000 limbs and the redline single cam. They're on-line info does'nt scratch the surface. You can find versa, command, or redline cams in various on-line classifieds and auctions. They also made them with other limbs.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
kebees4

I don't even know what is on it yet. I will see it one day this week. It is at the sheriffs dept. right now. I found out about it from this guys friend that works with me. I want to get a target rig without breaking the bank.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:38 PM   #15
tedlebo

The one I had from the mid '90s had the anodized camo on the riser with solid limbs and the command cams. It was a GREAT bow, for it's time, but these days I wouldn't expect to pay much more than a hundred for one.

Ted
Old 01-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #16
Rob / PA
Bowyer

Rob / PA is on a distinguished road
Default Carbonite or XT2000

I owned both the 96 Hoyt Defiant and the 2000 Hoyt Defiant.

Like was mentioned, you only need to know their limbs to know what year your Defiant is. If your not familiar with their limbs, are the limbs narrow and flat (rectangular looking) or narrow (squared) but I'd imagine they'd have the name on them. They are either Carbonite (95-96) or XT2000 (2000).

I loved both bows. I had the 96 shooting just over 300 fps at 70 lbs, 29" draw with ACC 3-49's. Now remember, that was in 96 when we had to tweak to achieve 300fps.
Rob / PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
Hoyt_em

Hoyt_em is on a distinguished road

http://www.hoyt.com/customer_service...une_charts.php

This will help some. Need to know the limbs or the cam (s) on it and go from there.
Hoyt_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #18
astronut1885

astronut1885 is on a distinguished road

Hi guys. This is my first post and I know I am digging up a very old thread here, but I just got one of these bows, many of you seem to know a ton about it, and I need to learn as much as I can about it. I tried learning over on archerytalk.com only to get beat up pretty bad about buying and owning an older bow. I am brand new to archery, want to shoot spots and outdoor target, and didn't want to drop a bankload on my first bow before I knew this was something I wanted to stick with. Since I got into this cheap, it's gonna be easier to convince my better half that a Matthews Conquest Apex is totally reasonable come summer's end if I should stick with this new hobby.

I bought this bow for $100 with the accessories on it, and it needs new strings and cables that a local small shop owner said he'd hook it up with along with a good peep, kisser button, D-loop, color matched 2 tone strings, etc...all for under $70. He also said he'd tune it for free, teach me how to shoot it properly, and let me use his range any time I want for free. All I know about it is that it was listed as a "Hoyt Fastflite." I looked at it, and it is in superb shape, not a ding or scratch on it, and was used by a competition shooter who got out of the game some time ago. I did some research and found out it is a Hoyt Defiant in purple wild thing colors with Fastflite limbs. It is set for 60-70lb draw load ( I plan on setting it at 60), 30" draw length, has cams labeled 3T and 3B, and modules labeled C. I talked to an Ebay seller who told me they are likely Master cams, but that Hoyt used to label lots of their cams "3", "4", etc. until they started getting more specific shortly after this bow was made. I needed to get my draw length down to 28", and he didn't have the right modules, but he said he could sell me some "M2" master cams that would work with my current modules and get my draw length correct with a 65% letoff. It came with a medicine stone 1 pin sight system, an overdraw with gold premier rest, and the factory polished stabilizer, along with a T release, some wax, and some spare bits and pieces. I want to say this is a '96 Defiant but it's build year is not labeled anywhere, and I don't know the difference between that and a '00 for example. If you could please look at the pics, and with the limited information I posted above, tell me everything you could possibly know from a stats and technical aspect about this bow (other than that it is old and sucks and I wasted my moneyd like the AT guys did). I'd also like to know about potential upgrades for this thing, like some of you have mentioned split-limb XT2000 limbs or better cams were available on the newer defiants, and I don't know if they'd fit this riser/pocket setup. Please do your best to educate me about my new purchase and THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Oh, I didn't get the case with it, but the shop I found is gonna hook me up with a hard case for nothing

AT THIS TIME SPAM BLOCKER IS HOLDING BACK MY PICS, but please feel free to post any info you can about Hoyt Defiants until I get the pics up.
astronut1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
Compound Comedian

Compound Comedian is on a distinguished road

I think there was a Defiant with several limb/cam config. and a Defiant II which was a completely different bow. I had a 95-96? Defiant, well made but heavy.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
tedlebo

I saw the pics you posted on AT and it is one of the original Defiants.
Whether it is 95 or 96 won't really matter very much as I don't think there was a difference in the manufacture.
First off, I don't know if swapping from the fast flight limbs to the XT series is feasible, but I really wouldn't worry about it. That bow was and is a shooter, in my opinion. With the master cams on it I think you would be very pleased with the performance. Yes, it is old tech, but that doesn't mean bad, just old.
If there are no limb issues with it, new string/cable set and the right draw length, I really don't feel you would have anything to worry about.

I say get her fixed up to fit you and have fun. Don't let the age of it be a worry.
Learn to shoot with it, and if and when you decide to upgrade you will still have a fine back-up waiting.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #21
astronut1885

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to learn everything I can about it, and I'd imagine that at 15 years old there has to be tons of experience I can glean from. On another upside, I found a guy who is all about old Proline bows. I had bought a really used up Proline Speedstick on craigslist before I knew anything about archery tech for $75, and then found out it needed 2-3x that just to be workable. It was sold to me as completely shootable, but when I went back to the seller be basically told me tough cookies and left me hanging. This guy from AT is sending me 12 new uncut carbon fiber arrows that I can have customized to a size appropriate for the Defiant by the guy who is gonna fix her up along with a second older but good shape target sight setup in exchange for the Proline. I'm thinking I did all right there...

Last edited by astronut1885; 03-21-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #22
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronut1885 View Post
.....I bought this bow for $100 with the accessories on it, and it needs new strings and cables that a local small shop owner said he'd hook it up with along with a good peep, kisser button, D-loop, color matched 2 tone strings, etc...all for under $70. He also said he'd tune it for free, teach me how to shoot it properly, and let me use his range any time I want for free.....
Never mind the bow, where did you find such a great shop?
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #23
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I got all the lastest and greatest and still get beat every week by a shooter with a 12 year old set up.

Some of the older bow are real shooters.........they just keep reinventing the wheel to keep us buying.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #24
astronut1885

The shop is a small local shop run from the room above a guy's garage. He is a retired Vietnam vet, avid hunter, and does it all more or less as a hobby than a source of income. He said he was happy to see a younger guy come to his "little shop" and show interest in archery. He also told me that if I start shooting well enough to enter competition and place respectably that he'd have me represent his shop and any gear I needed after that would come at his cost and not at retail. He has guys over regularly, has a range in his large property out behind his house, and grills venison from his hunts for everybody while we all work on our shooting. After all the razzing I took on AT, and the reception I got at some of the more "regular" retail shops in the area when both trying to learn and trying to talk about the Defiant, I knew this place was for me. He spent over an hour showing me so much stuff it wasn't funny, and that was after I told him I had no money to spend on that particular day. When I showed him the defiant on my Droid, not only did he pick my brains about smart phones ( quite a funny conversation from a guy with an old flip phone), but he basically said that if I didn't want that bow he'd hand me the $100 to go buy it and bring it back to his shop so he could re-sell it, that's how confident he was that it would be a decent shooter. I'm waiting on my new cams to come in, and then I am going to pay him a visit to get my bow hooked up. I also just worked out a trade on AT with a cool member who took an old Proline Speedstick mess off my hands that I had bought on CraigsList. He's sending me 12 uncut carbon fiber arrows that my guy can customize for me along with a better target sight than the medicine stone piece I am working with now. I am pumped to start shooting sometime soon
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #25
astronut1885

Let's see if my pics will post now... WOO HOO they stayed up! I got everything you see minus the case for $100, and I got a T release and some extra odds and ends you can't see.

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

Last edited by astronut1885; 03-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
astronut1885

The sight the guy from AT is sending along with the 12 uncut arrows in exchange for the old Proline:

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #27
bowhunterj
Blessed and Forgiven

bowhunterj is on a distinguished road

Very Very NICE!!!
bowhunterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #28
tedlebo

Yup, other than the color, that is just the same is my '95. I even had the same overdraw and stab. The only thing left from that bow is the naildriver I had on it.

It may be old, but it will still shoot just as good as anything on the market today.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #29
astronut1885

Thanks guys!
Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
astronut1885

Hey guys...what is the story on the Toxonics Fatboy scope? I know I am going to be in the market soon, and these seem to be available used for much cheaper than other round scopes I see. Is it junk, or just a value priced scope? Also, did Toxonics make their 5200 naildriver sight rails in purple? I see some older ones on the net that sure look purple, but it could be black with an optical effect from the camera. Not that color really matters, but if I'm in the market anyway, I might as well try and keep it looking good.

Also... just had a little woo-hoo moment. I did a little research on my medicine stone sight rail, thinking it was some kind of junky wannabe, and come to find out it is still produced today, in exactly the same manner and style, and it is a $250 made to order rail. Nice to know it's worth more than twice what I paid for the whole lot. Maybe I'll stick with it for a while. I'm hoping to get those black marks the previous owner put on there off. I've got to find a scope for it though, right now it has a level with a single pin sticking up from it, not even a housing...

Last edited by astronut1885; 03-22-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #31
tedlebo

Are the fat boys still around, Or are they used ones you've seen?
Most people these days go with round scopes that they can center the entire frame in the peep, instead of trying to center just the pin. The fat boy was a good scope, if my memory is correct, just not much call for an oval shaped deal these days.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM   #32
astronut1885

Used ones for around $40 or so with a 2,3,or 4x lens. They just seemed like a nice cheap starter scope, but I can understand how the size format can make getting oriented difficult.