Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 07-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #1
cnorth

cnorth is on a distinguished road
Default New hunting arrows?

I was looking to get some new hunting arrows. I have shot X WEAVE "RAVEN", and Beman ICS. I was looking at some of the Easton brands. Any suggestions? GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!
cnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorth
I was looking to get some new hunting arrows. I have shot X WEAVE "RAVEN", and Beman ICS. I was looking at some of the Easton brands. Any suggestions? GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!
Gimme the specs on your bow and we can suggest some... without know it is like telling you what bullets to shoot without knowing what kind of gun you have
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:09 AM   #3
cnorth

cnorth is on a distinguished road

I am shooting a Hoyt Powertec. I have a 30.5 inch draw @66lbs. Arrow length @ 28 inches. I also shoot 75gr muzzy.
cnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
Dredly
Site Guru

at 28 inches your optimal HUNTING spine is .349 or so...

with a 28 inch arrow and a 30.5 inch draw do you have room for a broadhead? Thats like 1 1/2 inches of overdraw... anyway, if you go with a 28 inch arrow your best bet would be a

- Gold Tip 7595,
- Easton Axis 340s (or other 340 spined arrows)
- Beman ICS Hunter 340 (or other 340 arrows)

there is a good list of available arrows - I would go download the OnTarget2 software, its awesome!
Old 07-30-2006, 10:09 AM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Have you looked into the Edge or Maximas from Carbon Express??
Old 07-30-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN
Have you looked into the Edge or Maximas from Carbon Express??
The Maxima Hunters 350's will work, same goes for the Edge. there are a massive number of arrows spined at 350 that will work
Old 07-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
thelefty41

thelefty41 is on a distinguished road

You might want to check out Gold Tip's Pro Hunter or XT Hunter 7595. They are both great arrows. If you want to gain between 6-9 fps over these then you should look at Gold Tip's Ultralight 400. I shoot with the XT's and love them, they are fast and durable. As far as the Easton's go my brother shot the carbon evolution's in camo for a while, but hated the fact that when shooting into the targets made up of recycled cardboard the arrows would build up so much friction and heat that some of the material would stick to the arrow and be very hard to pull out of the target. I have heard that their new finish isn't supposed to do this, but I haven't talked to anyone who shoots them.
thelefty41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

I just got some Easton Full Metal Jacket 340's. Really like em

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
Chops

Chops is on a distinguished road
Default OnTarget 2

Where can I find this software....is it on this forum?
Chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #10
Dredly
Site Guru

check out http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/

I think you can get a demo of the SW somewhere... not sure where it is on the page though
Old 08-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #11
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough
Default arrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnorth View Post
Hi, I may be considered a little crazys but you usally ony get one shot out of your hunting arrow sometimes 2 possible three,and I know of some who retire a kill arrow. So I just use a good aliminium arrow prefferable the Easton equalizer, It is a black arrow and I like it for hunting. It is considerabley less expensive and the black makes a good looking hunting arrow. The new carbons are very nice and I do like them>So the choice is really a indiviual one( Maybe I can run for some political office). As the they say at the burger place, Have it your way. Holy Smokes

Last edited by Holy Smokes; 08-14-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
Hi, I may be considered a little crazys but you usally ony get one shot out of your hunting arrow sometimes 2 possible three,and I know of some who retire a kill arrow. So I just use a good aliminium arrow prefferable the Easton equalizer, It is a black arrow and I like it for hunting. It is considerabley less expensive and the black makes a good looking hunting arrow. The new carbons are very nice and I do like them>So the choice is really a indiviual one( Maybe I can run for some political office). As the they say at the burger place, Have it your way. Holy Smokes
Only issue I have with Aluminums is you practice a lot or carry your arrows in a quiver. A slight bend in an aluminum can go undected fairly easily and throw your shot way off. Try bending a carbon and you CAN and WILL know it.

Before I catch crap for it, I shot X7 2512's for target shooting and have fired a few that I didn't even know were bent, only to have them miss the target. I've also had them get bent putting them in my truck when the bow laid on them wrong... if an arrow can bend because of 5 pounds on top of it what can happen when your pulling that bow up a tree and it hits the stand or the tree? (who HASN'T had that happen?)

Thats why I shoot carbons, they are more durable and you know when you put that arrow in your rest it will go where you aim it.