Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 08-12-2006, 09:50 AM   #1
soonercrew

soonercrew is on a distinguished road
Default newbie questions....

ive just purchased my first bow. i chose the hoyt trykon xl. i feel that im a pretty good shot for a beginner. i spent an afternoon shooting my friends bow, for the 1st time in 15yrs., and shot very tight groups. the only worry i have about my bow is the draw weight. i dont want to sound weak, but i can very comfortably pull back 52#'s (the weight on my friends bow). my new bow is rated 60#-70#'s. the dealer set it at 55# and said it would still be ok even though its rated higher. i guess they feel that with some continuous practice before the season i will work my way up to 60??? even the 55# is a little tough right now..... anyways.... i guess my question is, did i make a good bow choice? is it ok to go with the higher weight bow and draw it down to 55# (in hopes that i will be increasing the weight soon)? or any other suggestions would be great!!!! also, would i be better off exchanging for a 50-60#?
thanks,
scott
soonercrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

shoot a lot and u will get used to the 55 lbs and then keep shooting and up it some more
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #3
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum soonercrew!!!

Congrats on the new bow a buddy of mine has the new Trykon XL and loves it.

As for the draw weight if you have any doubts about being able to draw it comfortably then I would suggest getting a 50-60. A good test is to sit in a chair flat footed hold bow in front of you and slowly draw bow back if you cannot accomplish this then I would say you are overdrawing now at 55# and will most likely never be comfortable at higher weights. With todays bow technology it is no longer needed to pull heavy weight bows and shoot heavy arrows to get enough Kinetic Energy to bring down big game. Even shooting 50# with a 250grain arrow should produce plenty of KE. This is just my opinion on the matter but being as you are just beginning I would suggest you do not overbow yourself. Good luck and have fun.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:19 PM   #4
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. You sure picked a good bow for a starter.

On the weight, hoosier is right. If you can't get it back without skydrawing it then it is too much. That said, since you are not used to drawing a bow back. You will quickly build the muscles needed for drawing. Without seeing how much trouble your are having to get it back, it is tough to say if it is too much.

Try BHhoosiers test, see how that goes and get back to us.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #5
soonercrew

Default thanks...

i did the seated test..... and pulling the bow back was a little tough, but not much of a struggle (not sure if i could do it quickly 10 times.... but 4 or 5 im ok) at 56#. ive been working out my back and shoulder muscles for a few weeks now, and can already tell a difference. i believe that within the next month or so i should be in the low 60# range (i hope). im not interested in being able to shoot at 70#, but i would like to get it between 60-65#'s by the begining of season! im still not sure if i should stick with the 60-70, but if i can get to that weight class by season, then i think that would be the right choice, and from that point on i think i will only gain more strength and confidence in my ability??? what ya think???
thanks,
scott
Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Just a general question but if you have the limbs backed out all the way to 55 pounds wouldn't that mean that he has like 1 or 2 threads total holding his limbs into the pockets? The reason that the limbs are listed as 60 - 70 is because thats the weight that the bow should be shot at. If the bow was designed to be shot at 55 pounds it would have been listed as 55 - 75, Which would be a huge benefit to the bow manufacturer selling it. So they would deifnately list it

Isn't this a safety concern? Especially if he happens to drop the bow or hit it on anything, or accidentally dry firing it... just checking

As for another issue... I would imagine the strings and cables from a bow set for 60 - 70 will definately be to long for a bow shooting at 55 pounds. To me this sounds like a major tuning issue and it may cause the peep to move, arrow flight to be erradict, damage to limbs/cams, and change in draw length... unless I'm off again

as for the weight... 50 pounds will still kill a dear without a problem.
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Soonercrew you should not be drawing your bow back quickly it should be a very slow and stable drawing motion. And yes I totally agree that within a month you should be able to draw the weight much easier.

I agree with you Dredly about the bows weight range being from 60-70 then stay between it but have seen alot of guy shooting below the rated range many times. Not sure but I think it is a safety issue also. I do believe most limb bolts have plenty of threads. To me though when in doubt always err on the side of safety.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Have to agree w/everything everyone has said here and then some.....

Do your self a favor and go get those lighter limbs, you will enjoy your shooting time better if your back and shoulder muscles dont hurt and nothing sucks more than sitting in your stand when it 34degrees, seeing a monster walk up and not be able to get your bow back!!!

By the way how old are you you say you have not shot in fifteen years? This says to me your at least in your say 30's......it does not get any easier the farther you get from 18.............

And let me say it again a bow will perform the best w/the limb bolts bottemed out....IE-max poundage......
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post

And let me say it again a bow will perform the best w/the limb bolts bottemed out....IE-max poundage......
I don't think this has ever been proven to be honest, in addition I'm pretty sure that most bows aren't designed to have thier limb bolts bottomed out.

As proof (hehe) I submit my friends bows. (I never checked my OG)

Martin Shadowcat SE - limbs 45 - 60, bottom out the bolts and the limbs pull at 65 pounds
Storm F-28 - Limbs 60 - 70, bottom out at 73
Mathews Apex 7 - 60 - 70 Limbs bottom out at 74

so to me these would all be OVER what the max poundage should be. This would put mroe stress on the limbs then they are expected to handle... BOOM
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
soonercrew

Default thanks again...

just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. i talked with the dealer today and exchanged for the 50-60#. i will be much more comfortable and confident there! besides, im pretty sure at 55-60#'s that i can shoot thru anything in oklahoma. ill just spend my time practicing and scouting now.... thanks again.
scott