Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 08-15-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 is on a distinguished road
Default Easton Slims

I just bought the new Easton Axis 400 slims. They seemed like a good idea until I went to put my field points on. The shaft is so narrow that you have to get special field points which is not a problem, but what do I do about broad heads? Any stadard head is going to be a lot bigger diameter then my arrow. Anybody have any suggestions????
ridgewalker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
I just bought the new Easton Axis 400 slims. They seemed like a good idea until I went to put my field points on. The shaft is so narrow that you have to get special field points which is not a problem, but what do I do about broad heads? Any stadard head is going to be a lot bigger diameter then my arrow. Anybody have any suggestions????
TO be honest... I dunno Most broadhead manufacturers don't put the sizes on there... Call Easton maybe?
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #3
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

ridgewalker will u let us know the solution u come up with i was gonna buy some axis arrows but if the points are to big then i wont
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #4
Dredly
Site Guru

actually I just tried to call easton customer service cause now I'm curious as hell and got no anwser...

so I went to my old standby and the best broadhead manufacturer out there... of course I'm talking about Muzzy

According to the Muzzy tech the ferule doesn't have to taper down to the arrow, it won't make any difference at all in flight. So you should be able to use a 8/32 ferule broadhead and put it on a 17/64 arrow and there will be no degradation in performance and it will shoot great.

I would like to see this tested of course but Muzzy has never steered me wrong before and if it made a difference I can almost gurantee that they would make a broadhead that fit it.

So go shoot some Muzzy's and let us know
Old 08-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #5
ridgewalker243

ridgewalker243 is on a distinguished road
Default Muzzy

Well I just happens that I use muzzy broadheads so I guess I will just have to try it my self and I will let you guys know. It just looks wrong with the major dia. diffrence.

Thanks for the input!!!!!
ridgewalker243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #6
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker243 View Post
Well I just happens that I use muzzy broadheads so I guess I will just have to try it my self and I will let you guys know. It just looks wrong with the major dia. diffrence.

Thanks for the input!!!!!
If they don't work call Muzzy and complain! I bet they'll do everything they can to help you tune the arrow and get your using the right heads.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:45 PM   #7
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

Easton makes broadhead adaptor rings that will solve this, i ran into it last year with my acc 3-39 arrows, they were to small to hold the blades tight, its basicly a small washer that is milled out to fit round your arrow, then bevels out to a close match of the diamiter on broadheads. any good archery store that has a good stock of easton stuff should have them.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:05 AM   #8
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

something else to keep in mind is what kind of insert is in the arrow, and how tough the arrow is, if it has the goofy style inserts that go all the way into the arrow and dont have the lip of the insert on the outer end of the arrow, you must use the broadhead rings, if you dont their might be a chance of splitting the arrow on hard impact. What happens is when the arrow hits, it creates a great force on the tip and pushes it back, if the insert gives, the carbon will split and allow the head to push back into the arrow. My buddy shot a elk last year, looked like the arrow bounced off it, i was like what the heck???? we went and got his arrow, and the broadhead was gone and the arrow was split, first we thought the arrow broke, but after looking at one of the other arrows, this was not the case. I cant remember what kind of arrows they were, but this is something to think about maybee, i dont know anything about the arrows you bought, if they have a really thick wall, they might be fine, just some food for thought!!!! Let us know what you find!! Looked like he might have hit a rib, made a good crack when it hit, their was a tiny bit of blood on the arrow, none on the ground, and we didnt get the elk.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:07 PM   #9
mmars622

mmars622 is on a distinguished road

wasp boss bullet fit and fly great with these arrows!
mmars622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 07:58 AM   #10
JBUTLER

JBUTLER is on a distinguished road

The BROADHEAD ADAPTER RINGS work great and take away the size difference!!
JBUTLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 08:31 AM   #11
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Since you are not using expandables and as long as the broadhead fits, do not worry that the broadhead is bigger than the shaft. This is a good thing actually.

When easton designed the axis they were looking for maximum penetration. The key was the smaller shaft diameter. With the shaft being smaller than the broadhead, you have nearly zero drag as the arrow goes through behind it.

The only time you need the broadhead adapter ring is if you are using an exapandable that will allow the blades to fold open and hit the shaft.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote