Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 03-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
PblankC
Young'Un

PblankC is on a distinguished road
Default New guy here

Hey guys, my name is Paul, and I'm from northern ontario, canada.
I've been browsing the forum for a few days now, and registered yesterday, I really enjoy the atmosphere here!

I've shot an old 30# recurve bow for a few years now, not getting *that* much practice time out of it, but I have decided I would like to buy myself a good compound bow. The one that I am looking at and that is in my price range, and featured as "best value bow" in my outdoor canada magazine is this one: http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=135541&u=0816NI

What do you guys think about it?

From a guide I found on the net, my draw length is 26", and I'm not sure how hard it is to pull, so I'm thinking of choosing the 50lb draw weight to start off with. My question is, if I buy it at 26" draw length and 50lb, would I be able to change it myself later on, if I find that is not what I'm looking for, or would I have to send it back to them or someting?

To continue with more questions, I read somewhere that the minimum weight your arrow should be to safely shoot is 5x the draw weight, arrow weight in grains obviously. When choosing/building an arrow, should I build it just over the minimum grain limit, or it doesn't really matter how heavy it is?

Thanks for the answers guys,
Looking forward to being part of the community here,
Paul
PblankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #2
bwiz

bwiz is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to bwiz

We have fun here!!
Great Sales and Service at www.oneidabows.net
bwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road

Hey Paul

PSE makes good bows, but i don't know much about that particular model. Do you have a bow shop anywhere near you? That is usually the best place to go for advice since they will let you set-up/shoot just about any bow that they have in stock so that you can try it out. Compound bow preference is definately a personal feel question. Try to shoot as many as possible. Also, something that you should consider is that most bows can have their poundage turned down to a lower weight by backing out the screws on the limbs. Best of luck!

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
PblankC
Young'Un

Thanks guys for the welcomes!

I'm looking for a hunting store around here, I don't think canadian tire counts as a hunting store lol

I was just wondering, what is a good arrow weight, and bow draw weight and draw length to be hunting small and medium sized game?

Thanks,
Paul,
Old 03-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
redhorse

redhorse is on a distinguished road

Welcome!! I Bought a PSE Brute this year and love it compared to my old Bear. I have a 29" draw and it is set at 70lbs. I also have 80% let off. I had shoulder sergery for a torn rotator cuff 2 years ago. I can honestly say that you should go with a little heavier draw, but look at the let off. You'll be surprised!! The brute sells for just a little more but is not sold at Walmarts like the stinger. I would definatly try a few bows before settling. The 50lbs. is just over the minimum requirement for hunting in Ohio, and I believe most states have a minimum of 45 for hunting.
Hope this helps GOOD LUCK!! and Happy Hunting!!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PblankC View Post
Thanks guys for the welcomes!

I was just wondering, what is a good arrow weight, and bow draw weight and draw length to be hunting small and medium sized game?

Thanks,
Paul,
Ok first for the easiest draw weight: Personally i would get something adjustable in the 50-70# range. This way you can work your way up to the heaver weights. It also gives you a little leeway in case you determine that you can't/don't want to pull 70# (personally i hunt with a Fred Bear Element set to ~65#).

Second arrow weight. any arrow that is spined correctly for your bow at the above weights will be fine as far as weight goes. Easton, Carbon Express, Gold Tip, etc will all work fine for your purposes. All you need to do is once you have decided on your bow have the shop tune your arrows and bow. If they are not able to do this, come back here and start a new thread asking how to tune and we can help you out.

Third, Draw length. This is entirely based on you. you will need to pick a spot on your face that you can go to every time (your anchor point). I use the corner of my jaw with the crease between the bones of my thumb and index finger so that my thumb runs under my chin. once you have determined your anchor point you will need to determine which release you will be using or if you will be shooting with fingers (releases are a little more accurate because they eliminate the inconsistancies of the stiring coming off of your fingers but once again this is a personal choice). Once you have those two things determined you will know your draw length (being the distance from the front of your bow to where your string will be at full draw!).

Finally, before getting all of this set up be sure to check with your local Department of Wildlife (or whatever it is called up there) and find out what the regulations are on Bowhunting. Lots of places have minimium draw weights limit you having anything electronic on your bow (ie no red dot scopes etc). This will prevent you from having to re-buy stuff that is illegal for you to use.

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
PblankC
Young'Un

Thanks for the replies guys

I've found an archery store about 1hr away from my place called "mid-north archery", they claim to have the hardest 3D shooting in all of Ontario!

I will go there to check out the bows and ask for help after I get my hunters education course

I've also been looking on the Ontario MNR (ministry of natural resource) website to see all the information on regulations and such, alot of information to digest for now. :P

Paul,
Old 02-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site!
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote