Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 08-16-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
jjtaub

jjtaub is on a distinguished road
Default loop or ultranock

Hi Guys,
I am getting back to bowhunting after a number of years off. I used to use a loop on the string for my release. It worked well except it would shift and bind the nock after a lot of shooting.

I see that there are similar loops made of metal that look like they wouldn't shift. One of the examples would be the ultra nock.

is there a draw back to the metal loops?
jjtaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjtaub View Post
Hi Guys,
I am getting back to bowhunting after a number of years off. I used to use a loop on the string for my release. It worked well except it would shift and bind the nock after a lot of shooting.

I see that there are similar loops made of metal that look like they wouldn't shift. One of the examples would be the ultra nock.

is there a draw back to the metal loops?
Loop! definately without a doubt. I've talked to a few people that used the "metal loops" and they always had issues with them spinning on them. My loop never has a problem. Go with a loop and you'll be golden
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Go with a string loop. The metal D loops are bad, horrible, terrible, weigh a ton, rob your bow of speed, can be dangerous is the screws break. I think that covers how I feel about them.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:14 PM   #4
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Dredly gives a lot of great advice and this time is no different......

If you want to stop it from creeping and pinching the nock, start by putting in a serving nock above or below your noking point, 5-6 wraps is sufficeint, you can even put one above and below if you like, adds less weight than a brass point, does as good a job.......

Then just tie on you loop....... you will like a string loop better than a metal one.....
Old 08-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #5
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

i have a metal loop and the only problem ive ever had is it twisting a littl u can fix that by simply twisting it the other wat and holding it 4 a couple of seconds
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:09 AM   #6
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Go with a string loop. The metal D loops are bad, horrible, terrible, weigh a ton, rob your bow of speed, can be dangerous is the screws break. I think that covers how I feel about them.
I will second all of this, plus have you ever tried to put one on???? If youdont need glasses now you will when you are done.......ie tiny little god damb screws
Old 08-17-2006, 09:02 AM   #7
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbambidead View Post
i have a metal loop and the only problem ive ever had is it twisting a littl u can fix that by simply twisting it the other wat and holding it 4 a couple of seconds
Yeah thats exactly what I've seen and heard... the issue is if your using a peep sight and the metal loop is spinning and the sting isn't then you run the risk of your peep not opening right. And I've seen it happen

My sisters boyfriend used to shoot one on a Bowtech Tomcat and after every shot it would stop at a different point, and the screws COULDN"T go in tighter. it was a massive PITA. about 1/3 of the time he had to let his bow down and move the loop around a little to get the peep to open right (he was using one of the peep that run 2 strings on each side)

A string loop is definately the way to go. Plus you can always change the length of the string loops to fit your form and prefernce.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
piethon

piethon is on a distinguished road

Everyone seems to have the right idea on these things. I have used both. The loop is the way to go. Usually if you take your bow to a good bow shop they can tie a good one that will not move. I have had some really bad ones tied on at places like Gander Mountain. If you still have problems you can use a nock inside the loop on the side that keeps moving. Also with a string loop you have less of a chance of torching the string. Good luck.
piethon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Hey there WELCOME to the forum this place rocks. Glad to have you here with us jjtaub.

As always alot of great advise on this forum from the crowd. I would definately suggest the string loop you will not be sorry. Good Luck

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
aggie2000tx

aggie2000tx is on a distinguished road

String loop without a doubt.
aggie2000tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:22 PM   #11
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Loop! definately without a doubt. I've talked to a few people that used the "metal loops" and they always had issues with them spinning on them. My loop never has a problem. Go with a loop and you'll be golden
I agree 100%

If there is a failure with the ultra nock, there will be little pieces of metal flying around at high speed near your eyes. I've never heard of one of these failing, but those are really small screws.

If there is a failure with the loop, it is almost certain to still be attached at the other end.

The metal loops also will scratch up your release.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

not to mention the matal on metal banging when your trying to hook up for the shot......
Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #13
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Well, try giving this one a try and you never have to worry about screws coming loose or peep alignment, or loop breaking or whatever-----------Try a rope release.

I'll bet the majority of guys don't even know what one is.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
RyanH

RyanH is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to RyanH

Awhile back I used a metal d-loop! I had problems with the screws vibrating out!

I would go with the string d-loop
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 07:05 AM   #15
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Well, try giving this one a try and you never have to worry about screws coming loose or peep alignment, or loop breaking or whatever-----------Try a rope release.

I'll bet the majority of guys don't even know what one is.
I remember those a buddy of mine used to have a cascade model 8 or 10 or something with a rope. I just had trouble hooking up to the string in some instances. Would be a nightmare with MOSSYHORNS standing in from of me I'll just stick with my jawwed release for hunting.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #16
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough
Default string loop!!!!

Sounds like we are all on the same page, Tried one of those metal loops once took it off after about 10 shots. Something about it I did'nt like and was not comfortable with it. I shot a cascade for a while..... rope broke twice and result was punching myself in the mouth twice. Also once had my string loop break on me (was going to get it replaced later that week) also resulting in a punch to the mouth except this time I drew blood. Good thing I got a strong jaw It always sucks to get punched in the mouth and it really sucks when your the guy punching

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 AM   #17
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Sounds like we are all on the same page, Tried one of those metal loops once took it off after about 10 shots. Something about it I did'nt like and was not comfortable with it. I shot a cascade for a while..... rope broke twice and result was punching myself in the mouth twice. Also once had my string loop break on me (was going to get it replaced later that week) also resulting in a punch to the mouth except this time I drew blood. Good thing I got a strong jaw It always sucks to get punched in the mouth and it really sucks when your the guy punching
so did you lie and say "you should have seen the other guy" or did you just suck it up and look like an idiot?

I tried a back tension and told everyone I punched myself when they asked how I got the fat lip, I should have just told everyone it was a bar fight
Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #18
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

I just sucked it up and looked like an idiot of course. Luckily when the loop broke I was by myself, but when the string on the cascade broke both times within 20 minutes it was with a full range Man its amazing how fast you can look like a moron

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 10:22 PM   #19
cuttinbucks

cuttinbucks is on a distinguished road

string loop, string loop , string loop
cuttinbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:03 AM   #20
SCDeerHunter

SCDeerHunter is on a distinguished road
Smile

One thing is for certain, I would definitely stick to the string loop. In some cases the metal nocks seem to make a little noise when they come off of the release. Not that its extremely loud, but thats just one added sound to make your shot heard. Last thing you need! Stick with the string!
SCDeerHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 07:35 PM   #21
fopsight

fopsight is on a distinguished road
Default T.R.U. Ball Speed Loop w/align

I highly recommend the T.R.U. Ball Speed loop/with peep aligner. You get best results (attributes) from both. Less weight than the small or large metal loop. Adjust as needed for consistent peep rotation with (well) shot/no stretch quality bow string. the link
http://www.outdoorsuperstore.com/pro...sp?prod=272627
fopsight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 08:05 AM   #22
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

i have found that most times when a string loop twist around a bow string it is because the loop string is to big a diameter. it wont tighten down on the bow string good. the best i have found is the draw cord on windrow shades,if you can catch your wife gone. also a drop of super glue will help
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:24 AM   #23
longcut36

i have notice that most loops that slip is because the loop cord is to big a diameter for the bow string and wont clinch down tight enough. also stiff. now dont laugh at this, but the best cord i have found is the draw cord on window binds. IF you can catch your wife gone. some of my friends also put a drop of super glue on the knots.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:43 AM   #24
longcut36

oops sorry about the double post.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #25
Straightandtrue67

Straightandtrue67 is on a distinguished road

With my limited experience, I would say the d-loop. I have been shooting with a d-loop on my Mathews Switchback since I got it a week ago. No issues what so ever (knock on wood). I saw the metal loop and thought (with my limited experience) right away that something like that would twist very easily. The d-loop is simple in its design and works very well. Go with the d-loop.

Take Care and God Bless,

Ed

-E Duffy Sr.
(1946-1993)

Bowtech Guardian (29" DL, 63 lbs.)
Bows Owned:
Mathews Switchback/Switchback XT
Hoyt Trykon/Vulcan
Straightandtrue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #26
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

I don't use a loop at all. I put the release jaws right on the string/serving. I have no problems with this at all wear-wise and it eliminates a possible point of failure.

I'm curious who else does this. All my friends do the same as I, as do the people in the pro shop. My shop don't sell metal loops and they carry string loop material, but will not tie a loop on for you. I don't know why that is but it is.

One of my buddies uses a rope release and he likes it.

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote