Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 04-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
LittleBear

LittleBear is on a distinguished road
Default New to this whole archery thing....

Hey there everyone, I just got a bow last christmas for hunting, but I have been to a couple 3d shoots and I love them. As I shoot more and more though, I have noticed that I need new stuff on my bow other than what came with it, but I am overwhelmed by the number of companys and models out there for everything! I need a new drop-away rest, a new peep sight, and I am thinking about a new front sight and stabilizer. Can anyone help me sort through all of the options? Please keep in mind that whatever I end up getting also needs to be able to stay on my bow when I go hunting. Thanks in advance!
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
leftyetc

leftyetc is on a distinguished road

myself I like the viper micro adjust .10 sight pins for my sights they helped my groups alot..for the rest I use the trophy taker drop away
leftyetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
pick83
Turkey Season April 8th

pick83 is on a distinguished road

i just got a Q.A.D ultra rest HD it is very nice rest. you can hold your bow upside down and you will not lose your arrow. hog sights are nice little hard to adjust but when you get all done you dont have to worry about them moving. plus this sight has a real good feel like you know it will be hard to break and i like that. the hog sight is nice but very price. andd you can find something that works just as good. my trophy taker sight did the job fine but it did not light up very will. thats why i got the hog. the ultra rest i got on ebay cheap and had to buy it i there also price there around 150. camo are 10 doller more and got that for under 100 dollers. but also really nice rest. try ultra rest google that they have a video will sell you.
pick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Before you drive yourself nuts thinking you have to have the latest and greatest, it's more the archer than the equipment. Tell us about what you have. And welcome.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
robinhood38
css encore best bow ever

robinhood38 is on a distinguished road
Default i agree with red

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
Before you drive yourself nuts thinking you have to have the latest and greatest, it's more the archer than the equipment. Tell us about what you have. And welcome.
im a 4-h coach and it can be that you see everyone else with all this stuff and well you may not need it at all but if you dead set on all of this my son has bodoodle pro lite and sword sights but it would help to know what kind of bow you shoot draw weight
robinhood38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Here's what I use. Limbdriver rest, Cobra Sidewinder Radiant sight and limbsaver S-coil stabilizer. You can check out Vapor Trail's web page and view the set up video for the rest. They offer a replacement containment launcher for hunting that can be ordered for about $10 tyd. I got my Limbdriver used on Archery Talk's classifieds for $50. The Cobra Sidewinder has to be purchased used, because it's no longer in production. It has 3 feet of wrapped fiber optic per pin and the radiant model comes with a light. It can be adjusted without tools and has never lost it's adjustment through all the tree climbing and swamp wading I've done over the last 3 years of successful deer hunting with this sight. I took some patient shopping, but I got mine on ebay for about $30. Also, if you want the smaller .019 fiber Dura pins, I got mine online from Bowhunters Super Store for $10 each. The S-coil is pretty cheap to buy new and comes in 3 lengths. Have fun, I do.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

The perfect and inexpensive muti-taskers (hunting, 3D and indoor)

Ripcord arrow rest (going rate used on AT is $55-65)
HHA Slider sight (going rate used on AT is $55-65)

and SHOOT that Thing!

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
LittleBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
I have a Bowtech Tomkat with an octane capture rest and I have no idea what the sight is, whatever comes standard on the bow. the stabilizer I have is actually my dad's which is why I need one, but I have no idea what it is at the moment, he's an accountant, and you know how they are this time of year. the equipment I have now does work ok for me, I adapt to new equipment extremely quickly. But I real thing that definitly needs to be replaced is the rest; the octane is a great rest for what it is, but the whiskers wear down over a relatively short period of time and then need to be replaced and then your sights need to be re-adjusted for all the adjusting you did while the whiskers wore down. I just think that is a little too tedious for me at this point and I don't want my pins to be off right at a critical moment. it is one thing if I miss because of my own aiming, but it is entirly another if I miss because my pins weren't shooting where they were supposed to because of a little wear and tear.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:20 PM   #9
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I honestly can't comment much on the rest you have because I've no experience with them. How much shooting does it take to wear the fibers down? Is it just the lower fibers wearing?
Are you shooting with a D-loop?
Your sight, does it have a round housing? And when you look through your peep can you see the whole pin gaurd or just part of it?
If it's not round, I'd look into a sight with a round pin gaurd that you CAN see through your peep. The idea being you want to center the whole pingaurd in the peep and just use a pin for elevation.
If you compare what you have now to what we shot 25 years ago, you are probably miles ahead already.

Last edited by red44; 04-05-2009 at 10:22 PM.
red44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 AM   #10
MTColl28734

MTColl28734 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New to this archery thing

About the only thing I'd change for now would be the rest. The Hostage is great in theory, but doesn't seem to hold up. A Whisker Biscuit is a pretty good all-round rest, although you do have to change the bisquits occasionally.

Make sure that your rest is set so that your arrow is parallel to your bow. There's a special tool you can use to do this, but you can also do it with another arrow. Lay the unstrung arrow on the shelf and check that the strung arrow lines up with it. I shot for six months without doing this basic check and I was amazed at how much better I shot after doing it.

As has been said before, regardless of the hardware you have, just keep shooting. The software between your ears is the best equipment you have; use it.
MTColl28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
LittleBear

Thanks for all the advice!
I'm not sure how many shots it takes to wear down the whiskers on the octane, but I think right around arrrow 200 or so I start to notice wear, then around 400 I need to start adjusting my sights, then around arrow 800 the whiskers are so worn they need to be replaced, or since only the bottom ones get worn down just rotate the bottom with one of the others.
The pin guard I have on my sight is round, but I cant see the entire ring through my peep, right now my peep is 4mm and I have a 5mm one too that came with it. Using the ring for reference is something I haven't thought of but am definitly going to start doing since it makes so much sense for consistency.
I think I am going to go with a drop away rest like the ripcord, the whisker bisquit is good but I have read a few articles that isn't very fletching friendly, and I think overall I would be much happier with a drop away.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
LittleBear

I picked up the Ripcord drop away rest and mounted it on my bow. Unforntunately I won't be able to sight in until Tuesday, but I will let you know how I like it.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
Northwest75

Northwest75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
I picked up the Ripcord drop away rest and mounted it on my bow. Unforntunately I won't be able to sight in until Tuesday, but I will let you know how I like it.
Good job on the rest. The 09 version Ripcords is supposed to be the fastest drop away out on the market. My next bow will have the 09 Ripcord on it. For sights. i would recommend Vital bow gear Sights. They are one of the brightest and or the brightest sights on the Market. A few guys on AT actually stated that they had to sell there VBG sight for another brand because the Vital Bow gear sight was toooooo bright. Duh! thats what people are looking for. i even have the option green glow ring attached for those early morning or last light legal shoots. The fibers will hold light for about 30 minutes after the sun has gone down. I have the Star track .19 Single PIN Angular slider. My field of view is super and i have no stupid tape to worry about. It comes with fiber light distance markers that are adjustable to any FPS bow. I have mine set from 20 yards to 70 yards.
Check out www.vitalgear.net for more options. These sights are strong and light. If your still looking for a rear peep for hunting. i recommend the G5 Meta peeps. you want the bigger size that will fit the outline of your front sight for aligning things and you want as much natural light through the meta peep. you can have the brightest sights out on the market but if the diameter of the rear peep is not right. you are not getting the performance that you should be getting froma bigger peep.

Beginners Archery Range

Beginners Archery Range
Northwest75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
LittleBear

the new rest shoots great! I am still working on getting a new peep. Does anyone know about how big the peep should be? I already know that 4mm is too small, but would 5mm work? or 1/4 in.?
I am going to hold off on the sight for a little while since the one I have right now is working good for me now. But on the adjustable one pin sights, I am slightly worried about having a deer or elk stand at whatever range, then when i draw my bow back, it moves toward or away from me. would you have to let down, adjust, then re-draw? perhaps the best way for me to get over that is to buy the new sight, but keep my old one and put it on during hunting season.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:55 PM   #15
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest75 View Post
Good job on the rest. The 09 version Ripcords is supposed to be the fastest drop away out on the market. My next bow will have the 09 Ripcord on it.

The '09 Ripcord is a improvement on an already great rest! I have an '09 on my hunting bow (P3/Magnum) the '09 is also slightly quieter, and the mounting bracket has also been re-worked to make it lighter and more secure....

We recently signed on with RipCord, and I've ordered 4 of the '09 models as well as some Martin Lock-Mounts, which means I will have 4 lightly used '08 models and '09 mounting brackets for sale shortly, at a nice price <----hint)

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #16
eldermike
Off the shelf

eldermike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear View Post
the new rest shoots great! I am still working on getting a new peep. Does anyone know about how big the peep should be? I already know that 4mm is too small, but would 5mm work? or 1/4 in.?
I am going to hold off on the sight for a little while since the one I have right now is working good for me now. But on the adjustable one pin sights, I am slightly worried about having a deer or elk stand at whatever range, then when i draw my bow back, it moves toward or away from me. would you have to let down, adjust, then re-draw? perhaps the best way for me to get over that is to buy the new sight, but keep my old one and put it on during hunting season.
Just a suggestion, I use a single fixed pin for hunting with cam bows. This year I will use an adjustable single pin, but when hunting I will not move it. I get way to pumped up to use anything that requires a decision.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #17
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the site!
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote