Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 04-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #1
BHuntingC

BHuntingC is on a distinguished road
Default Field Points in arrow

I just bought some used arrows that have field tips in them that wont screw out. I asked the person I bought them from and they said to heat them up. I was wondering if any one knew how to warm up the arrow so that I could get the field point out. If you do please pm me with instructions on how to do this. An also if you do this would you be able to put inserts into the arrow after the field point come out?
BHuntingC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

These are aluminum arrows? If so, just about any heat sorce will do. A tourch, a candle, etc. And if they are aluminums, you should be able to get screw-in inserts for them. What size aluminums?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
sweet old bill

sweet old bill is on a distinguished road

if they will not screw out it is time to take the heat to the field tip and keep turing the point into the heat source.

I use a propane torch. I then take a player and pull the point and insert out from the alum shaft. I put them into a glass of water to kool.

You will need new insert and pints, that you can buy online and have your local pro shop sell to you and or do the whole job....I then use bow string wax on the new field point thread and screw into the insert....
sweet old bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
BHuntingC

BHuntingC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
These are aluminum arrows? If so, just about any heat sorce will do. A tourch, a candle, etc. And if they are aluminums, you should be able to get screw-in inserts for them. What size aluminums?
They are Gold Tip Carbon
BHuntingC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

I would try a heat gun if you have one or know where to get one. If you don't have access to one of those, set your hair dryer on the highest setting it has and keep constant pressure on the point to pull it out. You shouldn't have to worry about damaging the arrow with too much heat, it's already carbonized. New points should go right in, although you may have to clean the glue from the inside of the arrow.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Be careful, too much heat will destroy a carbon shaft. I'd use a tourch or candle on the point only, keep trying it, twisting it, untill it pulls.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
harleyryder
bowhunter, Pure-n-Simple

harleyryder is on a distinguished road

Are we talking about the point or the insert ??? If it's just the point as some said CAREFULLY heat the point up and keep try to turn it out with a pair of pliers. If you put heat on the shaft , yes you will probably ruin the end .
Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red44 View Post
Be careful, too much heat will destroy a carbon shaft. I'd use a tourch or candle on the point only, keep trying it, twisting it, untill it pulls.
I didn't know that. I would have thought that since it was already carbon (the end product of combustion) that heat would not affect it. With aluminum, I would think you would have to worry about tempering or warping the metal, but carbon should have nothing that would be affected by heat.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
PblankC
Young'Un

PblankC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
I didn't know that. I would have thought that since it was already carbon (the end product of combustion) that heat would not affect it. With aluminum, I would think you would have to worry about tempering or warping the metal, but carbon should have nothing that would be affected by heat.

Probably because arrows aren't pure carbon. I'm sure there must be somesort of glue or other chemicals holding the whole thing together, that may be why it is unsafe for the arrow
PblankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #10
got1touchingcotton

got1touchingcotton is on a distinguished road

Too much heat will ruin the shaft, heat the point only. Little heat, then pull a lot, then little more heat, then pull a lot, etc etc etc....
got1touchingcotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
hunter2678

hunter2678 is on a distinguished road

On the flip side, if you dont get it (tip/insert) hot enough you'll run the risk of tearing out some of the inner material from the shaft itself when you go to remove it ..I know bc I've done it before. Then your left with a weakend end of an arrow and either have to cut it down or scrap the shaft all together. Carbon shafts are bound together by resins so too much heat can deteriorate the lifespan and durability of the shaft...always have some cold water near by to dunk the shaft into immediately after any heat exposure...

Last edited by hunter2678; 04-06-2009 at 12:39 PM.
hunter2678 is offline   Reply With Quote