Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Broadhead Testing Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

Wackums did pretty darn well.

My Tricks did awesome especially being a fourblade.
DB
Old 08-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

I am glad I quit using mechanical broadheads. I have always thought they use up a lot of energy on impact a lost some penetration. I would have liked to see some Muzzy's in the test.
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
Daniel Boone

Default Muzzy do well in that test

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
I am glad I quit using mechanical broadheads. I have always thought they use up a lot of energy on impact a lost some penetration. I would have liked to see some Muzzy's in the test.
We have shot the Muzzys through barrels before.
DB
Old 08-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
kebees4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
We have shot the Muzzys through barrels before.
DB
How did hold up? Noticed most mechanical broad heads didn't penetrate well and broke.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Daniel Boone

Default Muzzys always did well

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebees4 View Post
How did hold up? Noticed most mechanical broad heads didn't penetrate well and broke.
I just never got the best flight out of them
DB
Old 08-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
kebees4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
I just never got the best flight out of them
DB
I never had flight problems but lost a big deer due to lack of penetration. It looked like a good shot but arrow did not penetrate the rib cage I believe they use a lot of KE on impact to open the blades. I was shooting a spitfire @ 65# and was shocked at what I seen. Arrow looked as if it only went 5-6" deep max. I have had fixed blades go in front shoulder and exit rear quarter. I only shot mechanical a few years before going back.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road

The Inner loc, G 5 Striker and Wac'em impressed me. How do they shoot ?
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

G5 striker grouped 1-2 inches off my field points. I would say that's good.

That is a cool test but did anyone really think that a expandable head with 50% more cutting surface would penetrate a barrel as well as a fix blade with 1/2 the surface area. I am going to save the shoulder blades, ribs and hide from my deer this year and do some tests on real targets. I don't know why people want to test a head on things like bricks or barrels except just to see what happens. If those tests were representative of shooting animals then it would be fair to say that no mech head stands a chance of putting down deer. I am not slanted one way or another. I have only shot 2 deer one with a fixed and the other with a mech. both had great results.

Just out of curiosity... what do you think causes more bleeding, a head that has a total cutting surface of 3 inches and goes all the way through a deer or a head that has a total cutting surface of 4.5 inches and stops at the ribs on the far side of a deer?
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #9
Daniel Boone

Default Im curious how the Wacem shoots as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
The Inner loc, G 5 Striker and Wac'em impressed me. How do they shoot ?
That was one big hole in that barrell.
DB
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Daniel Boone

Default My exsperiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
G5 striker grouped 1-2 inches off my field points. I would say that's good.

That is a cool test but did anyone really think that a expandable head with 50% more cutting surface would penetrate a barrel as well as a fix blade with 1/2 the surface area. I am going to save the shoulder blades, ribs and hide from my deer this year and do some tests on real targets. I don't know why people want to test a head on things like bricks or barrels except just to see what happens. If those tests were representative of shooting animals then it would be fair to say that no mech head stands a chance of putting down deer. I am not slanted one way or another. I have only shot 2 deer one with a fixed and the other with a mech. both had great results.

Just out of curiosity... what do you think causes more bleeding, a head that has a total cutting surface of 3 inches and goes all the way through a deer or a head that has a total cutting surface of 4.5 inches and stops at the ribs on the far side of a deer?
The hole that punchs a bigger diamentor hole always leaves a better blood trail. Steel Barrel test sure works good. Bones are tough as they come especially on an Elk. I want bone crushing peneatration. I want a pass through as well
DB
Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #11
Ohansolo

We all want a pass through. I just don't think that a steel barrel is anything like a bone. For instance a bone is softer but much thicker than that steel. I have been surprised many times by what will stop a projectile and what will not. Have any of you ever hit a shoulder blade on a animal bigger that a deer. If so what type of head were you using and what were the results? If that test is what we base the penetration of a head through a bone then why do we think at all about hitting bones when we use fixed heads. In other words if the barrel is a good stand in for elk bones then I would think that no arrow shot from a modern bow would ever be stopped by the shoulder of a deer. You see where I am going with this. If the barrel is a good stand in for elk shoulders and a fixed head penetrates it, then no way would a deer shoulder stop any fixed head. Have any of you ever lost a deer due to hitting a deers shoulder when using a modern bow and a fixed blade head?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Daniel Boone

Default Todays faster bows

Quote:
We all want a pass through. I just don't think that a steel barrel is anything like a bone. For instance a bone is softer but much thicker than that steel. I have been surprised many times by what will stop a projectile and what will not. Have any of you ever hit a shoulder blade on a animal bigger that a deer. If so what type of head were you using and what were the results? If that test is what we base the penetration of a head through a bone then why do we think at all about hitting bones when we use fixed heads. In other words if the barrel is a good stand in for elk bones then I would think that no arrow shot from a modern bow would ever be stopped by the shoulder of a deer. You see where I am going with this. If the barrel is a good stand in for elk shoulders and a fixed head penetrates it, then no way would a deer shoulder stop any fixed head. Have any of you ever lost a deer due to hitting a deers shoulder when using a modern bow and a fixed blade head?

This head blasted through the shoulder bone. 40 yrd shot. Its a Montec. Ill garantee my bow can go through bone. 290fps. I cut this deer open to see how the head hit. Garantee if you can go through steel. You might blow through a bone. I realize its not always the case but more times than not.
I dont think my fourblade heads will blow through a bone but this Montec head did and I was impressed.
DB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 600 357.jpg (64.0 KB, 217 views)
Old 08-14-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
Ohansolo

Looks like a great buck. I put a striker through a shoulder of my buck last year and it made it right through . g5 makes some good products. I will have to do some tests with real deer shoulder and a flesh stand in to see what i want to see. Wile I am at it I would be willing to test some four blade heads. let me know what you shoot and if i can put my hands on them then I will try them and post pictures of the results. I shoot around 280 fps so if we use a close arrow weight then we should get some good comparisons.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Daniel Boone

Default Tell you what

Quote:
Looks like a great buck. I put a striker through a shoulder of my buck last year and it made it right through . g5 makes some good products. I will have to do some tests with real deer shoulder and a flesh stand in to see what i want to see. Wile I am at it I would be willing to test some four blade heads. let me know what you shoot and if i can put my hands on them then I will try them and post pictures of the results. I shoot around 280 fps so if we use a close arrow weight then we should get some good comparisons.
I can get all the deer bones I want from my processor during deer season.

Ill just shoot a bone with my heads dead on and will see. Now there a test.

Flesh is not the promblem for sure. Double lung them and you never have to worry. Complete pass through.
DB
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
sgmathews92

sgmathews92 is on a distinguished road

I watch this video over and over, each time I pick a broadhead, I like to see what would happen if it went through a steel drum. Expensive test
sgmathews92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
dicksenn
14 Ring for Me!

dicksenn is on a distinguished road

I've got some slick tricks and I've been comptenplating the G5 Strikers. I might have to get some Strikers as well after seeing this video.
dicksenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
glpoe
Old Archer

glpoe is on a distinguished road

Have any of you ever hit a shoulder blade on a animal bigger that a deer. If so what type of head were you using and what were the results? If that test is what we base the penetration of a head through a bone then why do we think at all about hitting bones when we use fixed heads. In other words if the barrel is a good stand in for elk bones then I would think that no arrow shot from a modern bow would ever be stopped by the shoulder of a deer. You see where I am going with this. If the barrel is a good stand in for elk shoulders and a fixed head penetrates it, then no way would a deer shoulder stop any fixed head. Have any of you ever lost a deer due to hitting a deers shoulder when using a modern bow and a fixed blade head?[/QUOTE]

Yes, in my early years of hunting my hunting partner shot a doe deer square in the sholder blade right on top of the little ridge going up the bone, thickest part of the sholder bone. This was not a fatal wound and we later shot and killed that deer and were able to view the damage done which was very little. The Satelite three blade penetrated and lodged in the bone but was healing over quite nicely. That shot was made at close range with a compound bow set at 65# but that was many years ago and Compound bows were new to the scene then. The lesson here is never, never, never shoot for the sholder thinking that our new powerful bows will penetrate. What if it doesn't? I really don't think any of us would aim for the sholder but S*%# happens.
In Bowhunter Mag. Sept 09 there is a great article "Ashby 101" that talks about broadhead penetration on Very large game and Dr. Ashby's results which you might find interesting. Check it out, he didn't use a steel barrel. BTW: DB I found the video a lot of fun. I have shot Thunder heads for years and would like to have seen one of them shot through the barrel. I may just have to try that one of these days just to see what happens.
glpoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #18
bowhuntermitch

bowhuntermitch is on a distinguished road

My reapers did a good job for a mechanical i thought, replace the blades and you good to go!