Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road
Default Thoughs on Scent

After reading over the thread about "funny things that happened while hunting" - I figured I would start a new thread and see what everyone thinks
about scent.
I have mixed feelings - one time you get busted due to a deer catching your scent. Then I've had young as well as mature deer that I felt sure would bolt due to my scent and they haven't
I agree that masking your scent is important - I dought one can completely mask it unless you live in a bubble.
What are your thoughts or experiences on this
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
jdawg240
BOWNUTS

jdawg240 is on a distinguished road

I try to be as scent free as possible. I wash all my garments in scent free detergent.I wear scent-lok base layers and coveralls. I spray down several times both before the hunt and during. But there still is no 100 percent scent free method. It's important to stay scent free but playing the wind is more important in my mind. If the wind is wrong I wont hunt a stand 95 percent of the time. Ive had mature deer downwind and not wind me at times as well. Mostly during the rut. I think you can press the scent thing when the breeding phase is on and the deer are that sex crazed mind set.But any other time its tuff to fool their nose.

Last edited by jdawg240; 08-24-2009 at 06:43 AM.
jdawg240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #3
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default I think they do help

I know I can spray my hands and not smell them. I do liike spraying my hat down due to often walking in I sweat. I like to spray my boots as well. We often pick up smells on the bottom of them. I try and wipe alot of natural dirt on them before getting into the tree.

I love doe estrous during the rut and have had success with it.

Hunter Specialities is the brand I have been using.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road

I agree it's a good idea to try to stay as scent free as possible. That being said, I to sweat while walking to stand or as the day warms up. Many times I have carried my hunting cloths and put them on before I climb up to my stand. My buddy can't understand, he says he never sweats Now, he does wash everything in scent free soap, sprays down from head to toe and has been picked up more than a cheap date. Personally I think he can't sit still but that's a different thread.
Agreed, during the heat of the rut things get crazy - not always a good outcome for Mr. Big. Sometimes I think a mature doe is harder to hunt than a mature buck - before, during and after the rut.
Thermals have to be taken into consideration - swirling while on stand is something you have to decide if your going to stay up or get down

Then there are the many different reactions to doe in heat scents. I had the chance one morning to observe 3 different reactions to a scent bomb. This took place over an hour by 3 different bucks. I stopped using a scent bomb after watching this.

Ever think the more you know, the more confused you get
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Diffiantly confusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
I agree it's a good idea to try to stay as scent free as possible. That being said, I to sweat while walking to stand or as the day warms up. Many times I have carried my hunting cloths and put them on before I climb up to my stand. My buddy can't understand, he says he never sweats Now, he does wash everything in scent free soap, sprays down from head to toe and has been picked up more than a cheap date. Personally I think he can't sit still but that's a different thread.
Agreed, during the heat of the rut things get crazy - not always a good outcome for Mr. Big. Sometimes I think a mature doe is harder to hunt than a mature buck - before, during and after the rut.
Thermals have to be taken into consideration - swirling while on stand is something you have to decide if your going to stay up or get down

Then there are the many different reactions to doe in heat scents. I had the chance one morning to observe 3 different reactions to a scent bomb. This took place over an hour by 3 different bucks. I stopped using a scent bomb after watching this.

Ever think the more you know, the more confused you get
I agree each buck reacts different to scent bombs. But I would say if not for doe estrous during the rut. I would have less deer on the wall. I do think the curiousity gets them. I have had bucks run to my scent bombs.
I do drag trails, actually I place the scent on branchs nose high all the way to the stand. Then I place scent bombs down wind. If wind swirls I place them on all three sides. Code Blue and natural doe estrous has worked for me. I have a local guy that extracts from his deer.
DB
Old 08-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
hunter2678

hunter2678 is on a distinguished road

I rarely use estrous/tarsal/dom buck scent anymore. I've had one too many adverse reactions from bucks when using them...For myself and my clothing I go scentless.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
oldnslo

oldnslo is on a distinguished road

During the past 2 seasons I use as much scentblok as possible, but the only deer I got was a nice 8 pointer the day I mowed my grass, weeds, cut branches, etc, got all sweaty and headed out to the woods and sat for 30 minutes, and here he came...go figure,.
oldnslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Since I'm as happy to take a doe as a buck I usually don't use any attractant scents. I might use a "can" call when I think the rut is near, but otherwise a don't. I have a lightweight scentloc coverall that I use when temps are'nt to bad, but then just regular camo coveralls the rest of the season. All washed in no scent soap products. I do use a spray no-scent going in. Hands, boot-bottoms and head/hat especially. I saw first hand how coyotes can pick up your trail and was amazed how they reacted, like they were smacked with a shovel. That was just from walking thru a meadow and they came across my path 5 minutes later. The wind was to me from them.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:48 AM   #9
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Well Stated!

Everyone makes a good point about scent, the really big guys use that noses like radar. Watch a mature buck as he enters a area, fool the nose or stay as sting free as possible and it can pay off. Two areas that folks forget about that produce a smell to the mature buck that will alert is your mouth, and face area. Even thou you have showered up with the green stuff your mouth and your ducts around the eyes will produce scent. I rinse my mouth with a bottle of baking soda and cider, I also eat apples on stand for my snack in early season being that that smell is normal and my mask my smell. The scent waffers on the hat will help you tear duct scent for getting to strong. The little scented towels helps with face scent also. I'm one of those who sweats easily, I wipe down and spray down after I'm in the tree. I also after I cool down a little will then put my war paint on!. Face masks make me sweat to much!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Whichever way makes your hunting experience most enjoyable. For many hunters, it isn't worth all the fuss. Me, I'm obsessed. I love all the details. I do all the scent control I can stand and afford. I also use deer urine and drippers over mock scrapes. I like to freeze tarsal glands and hang them and use them for drags. I love bowhunting and all it's accesaries. I'd spend thousands every year if I wasn't living on a budget.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote