Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
OrthoPT

OrthoPT is on a distinguished road
Default Deer Calls

I have not bought a deer call or grunt tube in 12 yrs. what or who makes a good one, and what about this snort wheez these talk about. Help me out I spend most of my time hunting the west. First time back to the mid west in a while.
Mile High Archery
OrthoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Okbowman

Okbowman is on a distinguished road
Default Calls

I know you'll get hundreds of different opinions on styles and brands of calls after posting this. I'll tell you what I use. Right now my favorite call is the Primos Buck Roar. It has the built on snort wheeze right on top of the grunter. I've tried many different kinds and brands and this is the only one that won't stick on me in cold weather. I can blow on it hard as I want and it wont stick. It is actually the only call that I know for sure called me in a deer. I called in one nice eight point a couple of years ago from 350 yards out. I don't think he would have heard some of the others that I've tried. It works good for me. You might give it a try.
Okbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

Knight and Hale makes a call that adjusts to make different calls IE dominant buck, small buck, doe bleat, faun bleat. It worked well for me and is a good all season call. I have also used the Primos CAN estrus doe bleat but never had any luck with it.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road

Mine is made by Primos. It's a RubberNeck and can be attached to your arm so you can actually make a grunt while at full draw. My buddy uses it on his arm, I can't seem to get it positioned right so I wear it around my neck. I've never used one that I can get such a wide range of grunts on depending on the pressure you bite down with.
I've got one of those bleat cans - it's ok to a point. I'm not completely sold on it. Hope this doesn't confuse you
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Deer Calls

Yep! he's right you will get a lot of opinions on calls. I sold them all for eight years at one of the big box stores, (part Timer.) The best call is the one that works when Mr. Big comes after using the call and you harvest the Buck. Now that being said, Deer vocales are different, just like your voice and mine.
The reason one call works over another is because it was something different and to the Bucks ear he just had to investigate the sound. And of course thats what gets him in trouble. The best selling calls are the ones that your Buddy bought, because now he has you and all his friends headed to where ever to purchase it. Primos Buck roar, Hunter Specialties true talker and
A-Way outdoors Bowgrunter plus are all good calls. And already there are a couple of new ones out there. A-ways call is nice because it attaches to your hunting clothes and the tube is always near your mouth, hands free operation. Some hunters use a call just to stop a deer for the shot, this call is great for that. I have about four or five I take with me in the woods, especially if your rattling. Its easier to sound more realistic with different made calls than only using one. Don't forget the cans, many deer have fallen to the bleat call made by the Primos can calls. You will probally have quite a few of them to choose from in a few years, its hard to resist the advertising.
I would rather use a call from a few years ago, like say a Knight & Hale EZ Grunter that a Buck Roar if I'm Hunting a state Game area in Michigan only a hour west of Detroit. Chances are the Bucks have already heard the Buck Roar, and many other popular ones. Now if I'm up North on private property that Buck most likely has not heard the Buck Roar or Flextone calls yet. You have to Fiqure in the hunting pressure and use of calls in that area. Some real popular areas, its best to stay quiet and let the alarmed Bucks come your way. Look for clearences on out dated calls, flea markets and garage sale, a little cleaning and they will be fine. Good Luck I know its a lot of stuff here but after about thirty five years you learn a few things, above all have fun and be safe.
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Default Deer Calls

Here is a link for A-WAY outdoors for ther Bowgrunter plus call!

http://www.eders.com/products/a-way-...plus-call.html
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
OrthoPT

OrthoPT is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for responding and if anyone else has experience with calls pls post up.
Mile High Archery
OrthoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Haydell DG87

Been around for years. I have called numerous bucks with this call.

http://www.haydels.com/pages/deercalls.html

Listen to the sound

http://www.haydels.com/sounds/DG-87.mp3
Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
skolapper

skolapper is on a distinguished road
Default Deer Calls

I havent really ever called in deer. Curious about who uses them, what they like/dont like. preferences calling/rattling. during rut/other times. Please include brands. Sometimes it is hard to tell what actually works in the field, because of advertising hype.
skolapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default I have called numerous deer in with a grunt call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skolapper View Post
I havent really ever called in deer. Curious about who uses them, what they like/dont like. preferences calling/rattling. during rut/other times. Please include brands. Sometimes it is hard to tell what actually works in the field, because of advertising hype.
You would never catch me without one. If I can see the buck I usually can get his attention. Its not hard just start soft and get louder as needed.

Thread before I gave you cheap but effective grunt call.
DB
Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Another call you might look at is the Deer Talk call from ELK Inc. They are similar to a fawn in distress call. I missed a doe one year and then blew this call as she was running out of there and it stopped her in her tracks (actually brought her a few steps back my way).
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #12
I missed

I missed is on a distinguished road

i didnt take the time to read what others put so this might have already been covered, but my favorites are the estrous bleat can and the true talker from hunters specialties, the bleat can seems to really work for does in the early season. the true talker is a great call that can produce everything from fawn bleats to mature buck grunts, both bucks that i killed last year came from 200 to 35 yards when i hit the true talker