Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
ejg

ejg is on a distinguished road
Default Speed -vs - Quiet

I bought a new PSE X-Force Treestand bow a couple of weeks ago and it is a super-fast, great shooting bow. However, one of the selling points for me was the fact that they advertise it as a "quiet" bow. When I shot it at the archery shop, it seemed to be a pretty quiet bow. But once I got it home and started shooting it behind the house, I was shocked at how loud the bow seems while shooting. I had been shooting a High Country TSS bow for several years and couldn't believe the differance. I had my wife stand behind me, facing away so she wouldn't know which bow I was shooting and asked her which one was quieter. She said the High Country was considerably quieter than the PSE. I took the bow to the archery shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it. But to me it is just TO LOUD . I know that speed comes at a price, but I'm not sure that I can get used to the noise. So here is my question: Regardless how fast a bow is, the noise from shooting will get to a deer before the arrow. So which is prefered - a slower, quite bow, or a faster, louder bow ?????
ejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Speeds over rated

Give me accuracy and silent bow.
DB
Old 09-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Go get a heavier arrow and shoot it.. the bow will quiet down...
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
ejg

ejg is on a distinguished road

I've tried a heavier arrow and there didn't seem to be any difference. The noise isn't a vibration type noise, but more of a "thump" when I shoot. I thought that it was a factory string suppressor so I took it off. I still had the "thump" and also the "twang" of the string. Love the way the bow shoots, just can't get used to the noise.
ejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejg View Post
I've tried a heavier arrow and there didn't seem to be any difference. The noise isn't a vibration type noise, but more of a "thump" when I shoot. I thought that it was a factory string suppressor so I took it off. I still had the "thump" and also the "twang" of the string. Love the way the bow shoots, just can't get used to the noise.
Give me the specs on the bow and the arrow you use..

or give me a call...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter

my bow has a thunk to it when I shoot too..SOO, i put a limbsaver stabilizer on it, along with some limp silencers..it helped quite a bit, but its still noticable. Maybe an option if you already havent?

Parker Spitfire bow,HHA Prong Rest,Montanna Black Gold Fiber Optics,Cabelas Carbon Hunter Arrows
wildjerseyfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 AM   #7
MTColl28734

MTColl28734 is on a distinguished road
Default Imho

I'm a newbie compared to a lot of you guys, so my opinion is deservedly more humble, but here it is.

I'd much rather shoot a slower, more forgiving, and quieter bow than any Mach 1 screamer. I shoot a 420 grain arrow at about 265 fps, which puts me at about 70 lb/ft of ke. That should put a hole in just about anything. And it's quieter than my friend's Matthews at about 280 fps. At 30 yards, his arrow gets to the target .16 seconds sooner than mine. Think the deer are gonna notice?

That being said, I still wouldn't mind an Alphamax in my bow case. That's lust, not logic.
MTColl28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 AM   #8
hunter2678

hunter2678 is on a distinguished road

First of all most of todays bows are much quieter than thier predecessors so I think this topic is kind of a moot point anymore....I dont notice much of a difference in noise on my bows until I start shootin a 450+ gn arrow. You get too slow and quiet and some distance shots can suffer in terms of ydg guesstimation. Too light and you get a tempermental and finicky shooting bow in terms or accuracy. I like to meet in the middle with a 380-400 gn arrow, which gives me great speed, KE and accuracy. I havent seen too many deer jump the string anymore due to a loud bow like in the bowhunting videos 15 yrs ago. I think alot of folks who are worried about this need to have someone else shoot thier bow while they stand 15-25 yds away to get a better idea of just how loud they think thier rig really is.

Last edited by hunter2678; 09-02-2009 at 07:36 AM.
hunter2678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
bowdon
bowdon

bowdon is on a distinguished road

I shot with a guy the other day with a PSE X-Force and light arrows and his bow was quit. He was shooting 60 lbs and Light Speeds. He was no rookie because he has been around for some time and was shooting a supper tuned bow. He was also shooting the light out with it. You can have both fast and quit. My black Ice hunting bow is not that fast, but at 286 FPS it's really quit.

Last edited by bowdon; 09-02-2009 at 08:35 AM.
bowdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Breck

Breck is on a distinguished road

Check every bold and nut anything loose will make a ton of noise.
Breck is offline   Reply With Quote