Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road
Default What are your favorite hunting boots?

I'm looking to buy some hunting boots, insulated and waterproof. I was wondering what all your favorites are and why.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

MUCK!!
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
jdawg240
BOWNUTS

jdawg240 is on a distinguished road

Rockys are my choice....I have a pair of mucks I like for early season.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Mucks

Are my favorite rubber boot

Browning Kangaroo light weights are my favorite hunting leather boot.
DB
Old 09-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #5
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

depends what kind of hunting ..... i like my irish setters for hiking/climbing but i like my insulated rubber boots for stand hunting
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

Boggs shoes for early season and Muck boots with a felt liner for mid season. Late season, sub zero weather requires my ice fishing boots. I use a pair of rubber 5 buckle boots, 5 sizes too large. I then use a size 14 felt liner with a size 9 felt liner inside of that, and a #14 felt pad under both. This leaves room for a couple pair of sox. My feet have never gotten cold in these, even ice fishing all day with no shanty.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

My thicker insulated boots are Danners (the all leather ones). They last like iron and have great support.

My light insulated boots (would've preferred none) are the Cabelas/Meindl Ibex boots. These don't weigh nearly as much as their rugged construction and stability would indicate. They do take awhile to break in but when they do they're nice.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 PM   #8
hstubblefield

I use lacroose snake boots for turkey season.Snakes know to be bad in Ok in spring
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #9
hunter2678

hunter2678 is on a distinguished road

I used to be a Rocky Fan...no longer...thier soles disentigrate & fall off. I've switched to wolverines and am very happy with their fit, lightweight & overall quality.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #10
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

I use my Lacrosse Rubber boots for everything. It doesnt get cold enough in OK IMO to where anything else plus they are light weight and fit the ankle great.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road

I've got a pair of LaCrosse 8" hunting boots (guess you would say there similar to a good work boot). They have 800 gram Thinsulate and are WP. I like them for scouting, setting up stands and all around woods use.
My main pair are LaCrosse 1000 gram Thinsulate rubber hunting boots. The pair I have, have the zipper on the inside of the leg. Just happened to be at Cabela's one day and came across them in the Bargin Cave. The were my size and weren't in a box. Got them for $89.00. I wasn't sure if I would like the side zipper - I found that I do. Often I have them un-zipped while walking to or from stand. Once on stand, I zip them - my feet stay comfortable in Ohio's typical crazy weather. I honestly believe wearing a rubber boot to and from stand helps with scent problems.
I never really cared for Rocky's even though I had many family members working in Rocky's Nelsonville plant. The two pair I had leaked - since then, they moved operations to China.
I've heard Danner and Irish Setter have done the same This was long before the current president. It's corporate greed but that's another thread
Going back years ago, I would wear my regular leather work boots with rag wool socks covered by Tingley's knee high pull over boots (not sure I've spelt Tingley right, it's been a long time). I hunted with an old timer who showed me this. He said make sure the rubber pull over is larger so you'll have an air space. He also said put a plastic bag over your leather boot first. It helps get the rubber boot on and off. By golly, he was right. My feet stayed warm - only problem was the Tingley's didn't take the abuse from briers and crab apple thorns all that well. That's where a good old rubber patch and Barge cement came in.
Sorry for the long winded post - I tend to get carried away
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road

Thank you all it gives me a lot to consider. I can go try some on and see what I like the best. These days you don't want to drop $100 or more on junk. I have a field and stream jacket that I love, any one wear their boots?
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Muck Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken arrow View Post
Thank you all it gives me a lot to consider. I can go try some on and see what I like the best. These days you don't want to drop $100 or more on junk. I have a field and stream jacket that I love, any one wear their boots?
Are very comfortable for rubber boots. Mine seem to do good in cold weather as well. Not the toughest boot around but rubber boots are acceptable to wear. Rockey Boots are junk and so are Wolverines. Check ebay and you will find some excellant buys. I bought my Kangaroo Browning boots for $55.00 on ebay. $200.00 boot.
DB
Old 09-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Are very comfortable for rubber boots. Mine seem to do good in cold weather as well. Not the toughest boot around but rubber boots are acceptable to wear. Rockey Boots are junk and so are Wolverines. Check ebay and you will find some excellant buys. I bought my Kangaroo Browning boots for $55.00 on ebay. $200.00 boot.
DB
I bought the new mucks the black on bottom and camo up for $90 and they are comfortable and your feet dont get cold for sure
Old 09-17-2009, 06:44 PM   #15
AZbowhunting

AZbowhunting is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter2678 View Post
I used to be a Rocky Fan...no longer...thier soles disentigrate & fall off. I've switched to wolverines and am very happy with their fit, lightweight & overall quality.
I had the same thing happen with my Rocky boots , then i found Danner !
AZbowhunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:12 PM   #16
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

I'm on season 3 with a pair of LaCrosse non-insulated, with the air-grip/bob sole. Love these things. I got a 3-4/E wide foot, size 10, and these LaCrosse in size 11 work well. I can fit a heavy wool sock on top of a liner and that works well enough through late season ML. They're 18" high too if you have alot of water to get through like me. I split about half my hunting in these or hip boots because of the low area I'm in and the water/ice. These seem warmer to me than the LaCrosse insulated. Don't make sense, but they are.
That rubber stink does stink though. I've washed them in and out with no-scent stuff, still there. Thats the only downer.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #17
48down

48down is on a distinguished road

For just local deer hunting I wear LaCrosse Alpha Burly rubber boots. They are very comfy and easy to walk in. Haven't tried mucks but I hear they are good too.

For hunting that requires long hikes etc I like Irish Setter Shadow Trek style 3859. They are Comfy and lightweight. Like wearing tennis shoes. I have used these on several trips to the mountains with 50+lbs on my back and they worked great - not one blister yet.

I've owned Browning(1 pair), Rocky (4pairs), Lacrosse (3 pairs). The shadow treks are the best. I've talked 3 of my hunting buddies into them and they are all swearing by them now.
48down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #18
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

Danner Pronghorns are my favorite. The Lacrosse 1000's come out when it gets 30 and below.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #19
roosevelt

roosevelt is on a distinguished road

i love my pronghorns, but half way into the second season,two weeks ago, the right one started leaking like it got shot
flingin' gold tip xt hunters
muzzy 100gr 3 blade
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
wild boar

wild boar is on a distinguished road
Default Hunting Boots

There is a lot to consider when buying boots, such as terrain being hunted, weather, amount of time spent in hunt, comfort, insulation, quality, reasonable price. Its very hard to tell what boot is best there is a plethera of them out there, it depends really on your taste and style preference, the new materials are awesome, but a boot that has been used for years maybe the best. Best advice I can give, wear what will be like a pair of slippers on your feet warm, waterproof, snakeproof if Southern Hunting and what your checkbook will afford. I have found Sportsmen Guide to be the best for dollar value. Good luck in your quest.
wild boar is offline   Reply With Quote