Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 09-21-2009, 05:30 AM   #1
MTColl28734

MTColl28734 is on a distinguished road
Default Stabilizers

I'm using a Sims Ex-press on my '95 Hoyt. It's noticeably quieter than the hard tube Hoyt stab that came with the bow, but it's not as good at reducing the bow's twist on release, probably because of the weight difference.

I've thought about the options and I'm not sure which way to go. Get a longer S-coil or X-coil, screw the S-coil to the end of the Hoyt stab, or just get a new one altogether. Whaddya think?

Of course, the real answer is a NEW BOW! Next year.
MTColl28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Simms S coil works well

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
I'm using a Sims Ex-press on my '95 Hoyt. It's noticeably quieter than the hard tube Hoyt stab that came with the bow, but it's not as good at reducing the bow's twist on release, probably because of the weight difference.

I've thought about the options and I'm not sure which way to go. Get a longer S-coil or X-coil, screw the S-coil to the end of the Hoyt stab, or just get a new one altogether. Whaddya think?

Of course, the real answer is a NEW BOW! Next year.
Very affordable.

Posten and B-Stinger are both good stabilizers as well. Might go a little longer.

This bruiser taken with a s-coil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0110.JPG (60.5 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

Getting the weight out there helps the most. I use old-style d-flex bows and 8-10 stabilizers work great at slowing things down. If you have a more reflexed bow it may take more weight on a shorter stabilizer, or weight out a little farther with a long stabilizer of 10-plus inches. When you really think about it, you can use a stabilizer as long as a nocked arrow without causing too much grief from a stand. It won't stick out any more than your arrow. If your a ground deer-stalker, shorter but heavy on the end might work better.
That pic above. Great deer, but I doubt that little sims did much for lateral movement. Vertical, yes. But not lateral.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Maybe your local pro shop would let you experiment with different ones!
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote