Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road
Default Never Been Hunting

I know that a lot of you guys were raised on hunting. I have never been. I started archery a little over a year ago. My son (11) and daughter (8) also shoot with me. I think it would be a good activity for us to do together in the future. I would like to hunt but don't have a clue as how to get started. I live in Northern Illinois, Rockford area. Any advise would be welcomed.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #2
Ohansolo

Ohansolo is on a distinguished road

I started hunting 2 years ago. I also was not raised on hunting. last year was my first with a bow. To get started I would say to get a stand or blind some cheep camo and broad heads. the next step is to find a place to hunt and go scout. Look for game trails and patches of oak trees as deer like to feed on the acorns. Read up on hunting the prerut, rut and post rut. I would say that you should most likely go without your kids for now until you get used to it. Once you feel comfortable and know the places you intend to hunt well, then start to introduce your kids. I hope this was helpful, many of the more seasoned guys on hear will tell you all you need to know. get ready, once you start and it gets in your blood you will hunt for the rest of your life.
Ohansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #3
armyof1
JBK BOWSTRINS,DCAP staff

armyof1 is on a distinguished road
Default kids

i agree make sure your comfortable with the area first but when you take your kids let them take a backpack with snacks and something to do . i let my son take his mp3 player and his nintendo ds as long as he has his headset thsat way they dont get board real easy. i also bought him a cheap pair of binos so he could scan the area. just some helpful kid tips
armyof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
broken arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
I started hunting 2 years ago. I also was not raised on hunting. last year was my first with a bow. To get started I would say to get a stand or blind some cheep camo and broad heads. the next step is to find a place to hunt and go scout. Look for game trails and patches of oak trees as deer like to feed on the acorns. Read up on hunting the prerut, rut and post rut. I would say that you should most likely go without your kids for now until you get used to it. Once you feel comfortable and know the places you intend to hunt well, then start to introduce your kids. I hope this was helpful, many of the more seasoned guys on hear will tell you all you need to know. get ready, once you start and it gets in your blood you will hunt for the rest of your life.
Thank you your advise was helpful. I like the book idea, I check the local library. I'm not real big on heights so I'll have to look into a ground blind.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
Ohansolo

I would not bother with the library, Just google it, you will find more that way. Also don't over look tree stands, I also can't stand heights but most stands come with a harness for safety and wile some people like to go 35-45 feet up I only go 15- 20 and have no problems. with today's stands even a person that doesn't like heights can feel comfortable and safe witch I think just makes for a much better experience. In any case what ever you go with I am sure you will have fun.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #6
broken arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohansolo View Post
I would not bother with the library, Just google it, you will find more that way. Also don't over look tree stands, I also can't stand heights but most stands come with a harness for safety and wile some people like to go 35-45 feet up I only go 15- 20 and have no problems. with today's stands even a person that doesn't like heights can feel comfortable and safe witch I think just makes for a much better experience. In any case what ever you go with I am sure you will have fun.
Its not so much the height or the falling its the sudden stop at the bottom that really freaks me out
Old 10-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #7
Ohansolo

Thats an interesting perspective. I always feel safe but If I fell I don't care if its only 5 feet, I just hope I get a chance to change my under pants before anyone sees me.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
broken arrow

Bow check, arrows check, camo check, change of under pants check