Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
HmSkoolMom

HmSkoolMom is on a distinguished road
Default Starting a Homeschool Archery Group/Beginners

Hi,

New here. I am familiar with how to run competitions and leagues as I run a homeschool bowling league that is fully sanctioned by the USBC. I also coach.

Problem is now my youngest has taken a keen interest in wanting to learn archery. I've never been able to master this myself, so I am of no use to her when picking the correct bow/arrow combo out, coaching, etc..

I would like, however, to get her a set and get her started learning. I would also like to start a league/group in my area for homeschoolers. However, as I said, I am clueless as to how to start this. With bowling, you've got rules and regs to follow before you can get your league up and running and I am sure it would be like that with this.

1. Can anyone direct me to the proper area where one may learn how to start your own group, one that could possibly compete?

2. Just a quick google search brought this up for me: Archery Kit, is this a good beginner's set? She's 13, stands roughly 5 ft tall, is all legs and still growing. She's a righty, bowls with a 12 lb ball right now..

I am in Tampa, Florida, almost central between Busch Gardens and Palmetto.

Thanks in advance.
toni
HmSkoolMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #2
sandman

sandman is on a distinguished road
Default homeschooling

you should head over to the national archery in the school program. it is commonly referred to as NASP. they have good starter equipment for a good price and plenty of literature for coaching. hope it helps. more archers in the world is never a bad thing.
sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #3
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmSkoolMom View Post
Hi,

New here. I am familiar with how to run competitions and leagues as I run a homeschool bowling league that is fully sanctioned by the USBC. I also coach.

Problem is now my youngest has taken a keen interest in wanting to learn archery. I've never been able to master this myself, so I am of no use to her when picking the correct bow/arrow combo out, coaching, etc..

I would like, however, to get her a set and get her started learning. I would also like to start a league/group in my area for homeschoolers. However, as I said, I am clueless as to how to start this. With bowling, you've got rules and regs to follow before you can get your league up and running and I am sure it would be like that with this.

1. Can anyone direct me to the proper area where one may learn how to start your own group, one that could possibly compete?

2. Just a quick google search brought this up for me: Archery Kit, is this a good beginner's set? She's 13, stands roughly 5 ft tall, is all legs and still growing. She's a righty, bowls with a 12 lb ball right now..

Thanks in advance.
toni
fellow by the name of Sandsquid here has a lot of time in on this type of project
give him a shout
God Bless

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
fellow by the name of Sandsquid here has a lot of time in on this type of project
give him a shout
God Bless
Aye, I'm just rolling into the rack, so I'll get back with you tomorrow.

If you PM me a telephone # I'll be happy to call you on my dime.

Over the past year, I've built a youth archery program in our church gymnasium from literally nothing. We now have 40 (+/-) kids shooting every Wednesday evening.

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
SpiritOfTheWild

SpiritOfTheWild is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmSkoolMom View Post
Hi,

Thanks in advance.
toni
First and foremost I salute you, we need more like you to get more kids interested in things like archery, would keep alot of kids out of trouble for sure. I wouldnt get too intricate to begin with, wal-mart and lots of other places make great beginners longbows, including youth models, as well as arrows, keeping it simple is keeping it interesting, figure out what feels most comfortable for them, and at 5 feet tall, as you describe she should be capable of handling a full size bow, if i may reccomend the browning micro midas, or micro hunter, but it would deffinately be too expensive depending on how many kids you are interesting in starting, martin archery also makes a great line of recurve and longbows, I would deffinately reccomend a beginner start with instinctive shooting, hope it works out and thanks again for your help to keep the legacy of archery alive.