Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Tavis

Tavis is on a distinguished road
Default Bow for my son

I am a long time shooter but have been out of it for the last 10 years I own a Mathews MQ1 and my son who is now 13 wants to get into shooting. I was considering getting him the Missions Menace. But there isnt much out there on this bow. I am pretty sure its made by Mathews like a sister company its a dual cam that has a draw weight of 16-52lbs and a draw length of 18-30. My son wants to hunt and to do 3d shoots. If there is a better bow out there for a beginer i would be interested in looking at them. My son isnt the strongest and this bow he can draw and maintain right now at 20Lbs but not able to draw more as of right now. I know that in time he will be able to and thats why im looking for an adjustable one.

any help would be great
Tavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road

My son is 11 and shoots a Diamond Razor Edge. I did a lot of compairing and liked this one the best. The draw weight is adjustable for 29-60 lbs right on the bow, and 19" to 29" draw length on the bow(no mods to change). The package comes with sight, rest ,and sling. Also has a 2 piece quiver. This bow will last him until he can buy his own bow. The cost is very reasonable too $329.00. You will find that if archery isn't his bag the resale is high on them too. Good luck I hope this helps.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken arrow View Post
My son is 11 and shoots a Diamond Razor Edge. I did a lot of compairing and liked this one the best. The draw weight is adjustable for 29-60 lbs right on the bow, and 19" to 29" draw length on the bow(no mods to change). The package comes with sight, rest ,and sling. Also has a 2 piece quiver. This bow will last him until he can buy his own bow. The cost is very reasonable too $329.00. You will find that if archery isn't his bag the resale is high on them too. Good luck I hope this helps.
My son has 1 of these also. Good bows. He has killed 2 deers with it. he is also 13.
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Tavis

thank you for the input ill take him to try and pull one of those see if he can do it.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
SpiritOfTheWild

SpiritOfTheWild is on a distinguished road

For starters, I wouldnt reccomending getting anything too expensive at this stage, because kids grow up far too fast, I would start out with, well I started with the browning micro midas, its a rather inexpensive, yet durable bow, has a smaller frame for beginner shooters, starting at 20 pounds its perfect for learning form, and comfortability, yet, once he gets used to pulling it and using the correct muscles, it can be cranked up to 45-60 pounds, which 45 pounds is about the minimum draw weight to be able to take the whitetail deer. As he is young and growing fast like all boys do, I wouldnt go out and spend hundreds of dollars on a matthews or diamond, when youll have to turn around next year and purchase a full size bow, Check out the browning micro midas, and micro adrenaline, and others, see what bow he feels most comfortable with, because in the end, being a good bow hunter and shooter, all come down to how comfortable you are with your bow.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
BHuntingC

BHuntingC is on a distinguished road

Te hoyt rintec is an awesome bow for youth!
BHuntingC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Bowtech Rage bow

Would be a good choice if he still growing.
DB
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

You may want to check out the Alpine Micro, shoots 280 FPS at a 28" draw, 50lb. pul, is adjustable from 21-28 on the draw length, can get it with 40 lb. limbs and back it down. Has a 35" Axel to Axel so would be forgiving if he wanted to try some tournaments. You can get it in a package for $ 314.74 on alpine's website. Has a quiver, sights, and an Alpine Drop away rest. The bare bow is $ 220.00. This bow can go to 28 inch draw, which is what I shoot and you can get 50lb. limbs. This bow is hard hitting. Would make a good one for any kid. Alpine also has great customer service, would be great people to deal with too.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
Tavis

i checked out the alpine and the nuclear both nice bows hes having problems pulling more then 20 pounds right now hes right in that middle stage of youth to small bow but i dont want to get him 2 different bows in a year not sure if i should wait till he can pull more or just get him the one that is more adjustable. Has anyone heard anything good about the misson bows by chance.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 AM   #10
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavis View Post
i checked out the alpine and the nuclear both nice bows hes having problems pulling more then 20 pounds right now hes right in that middle stage of youth to small bow but i dont want to get him 2 different bows in a year not sure if i should wait till he can pull more or just get him the one that is more adjustable. Has anyone heard anything good about the misson bows by chance.
I really would recommend that you wait. My father bought me a bow when I was about 9, or 10 and by the next year I had completely out grow it, and we had to get me another bow. I really would recommend waiting, let him build up his muscles and grow a little bit more.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
kebees4

kebees4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I really would recommend that you wait. My father bought me a bow when I was about 9, or 10 and by the next year I had completely out grow it, and we had to get me another bow. I really would recommend waiting, let him build up his muscles and grow a little bit more.
The Diamond razor edge will work through adulthood.
It goes 19-29" Draw and 29-60 lbs.
I would guess at 13 he can pull 29 lbs.
I have twin 13 year old boys that are pulling 44 and 48 lbs.
http://www.freewebs.com/gerrystaxidermy/index.htm
kebees4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:27 AM   #12
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Good choice here

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken arrow View Post
Its the best thing going for a starting out archer.
DB
Old 11-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #13
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road

I also forgot to mention about the Razor. They have a lower pound version. For $50 send it back to bowtech for a new string and the higher pound limbs.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

09Dreamseason will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to 09Dreamseason Send a message via Yahoo to 09Dreamseason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritOfTheWild View Post
it can be cranked up to 45-60 pounds, which 45 pounds is about the minimum draw weight to be able to take the whitetail deer.
I agree with the Browning Micro Midas.......you can get them cheaper used, still upgrade with new limbs, and they are VERY forgiving for the beginner!

I don't agree with the minimum draw weight to be able to take a whitetail deer though........I seen Taylor Drury take her first Whitetail with only 30lbs on her bow in Dream Season 11!

My daughter's Micro Midas shoots at 30lbs and has PLENTY of speed and penetration to kill a Whitetail with hers......even a Mule Deer would die with 30lbs at 20yards or less with a good pass through shot. Shot placement is key here.....

Get him a bow he'll feel comfortable with!! 35lbs is the minimum here in Colorado for big game hunting.

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
www.SaveOutdoorSports.com
09Dreamseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

09Dreamseason will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to 09Dreamseason Send a message via Yahoo to 09Dreamseason

Browning Archery is now owned by PSE so I would recommend the Micro Midas for that reason as well.

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
www.SaveOutdoorSports.com
09Dreamseason is offline   Reply With Quote