Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 11-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
LaikatheDog

LaikatheDog is on a distinguished road
Default Help with husband's xmas present

I know my husband would love a bow for target shooting. We're out on the eastern shore of MD and he's talked about getting into it before. He's a big guy--5'11 and about 250+ lbs. Any suggestions/recommendations for a beginner bow? We're on a budget, so nothing too fancy.
Thanks so much!
LaikatheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Christmas Gift?

Will he what to hunt with it some day? Buying a Compound or any Bow as a Gift for an adult is very difficult. There are many factors to consider to make sure the Bow is fitted to the Shooter, Draw Length, Draw Weight, even the smoothness of the draw cycle will feel different from one shooter to another.
Getting fitted for a bow is very important, if not done right the shooter will have difficulties and not enjoy shooting the Bow.

Maybe a gift Certifcate from your Local Pro shop or Big Outfitter Store like Cabelas or Bass Pro might be a good Idea!

Just a thought, Your a nice Lady to consider such a nice gift for Him..
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
LaikatheDog

LaikatheDog is on a distinguished road

Thanks! He's a great guy and needs some down-time fun.
I don't think he'll hunt with it. What about a Genesis? I read they are good for virtually anyone and they're in my price range...
But you're right--maybe a gc to Bass Pro is a better idea.
LaikatheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #4
VNVGUNNER

VNVGUNNER is on a distinguished road

We have a few good bow shops here on the shore, in Newark, Md there is
Whitetail Outpost. Gander Mt. sells bows. He will need to shoot a few bows
before he or you buy one. Good luck.
VNVGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis would be fine for just plinking in the back yard but if you think he will want to get into tournaments or club shoots of any kind then you will need to increase your budget. A 20 pound draw weight is very light for an adult male.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
WCH

WCH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaikatheDog View Post
I know my husband would love a bow for target shooting. We're out on the eastern shore of MD and he's talked about getting into it before. He's a big guy--5'11 and about 250+ lbs. Any suggestions/recommendations for a beginner bow? We're on a budget, so nothing too fancy.
Thanks so much!
That's a great thought, he is very lucky. Target shooting bows are different then hunting bows, and to get a real target bow you will be looking around $600 plus. A genesis is not really a target bow, and for a man as big as him I would think he needs something a little bit bigger. Alpine is having a closeout on the 2008 Ventura it would make a great target bow, also it is camo so it could be used for hunting if he would want too. But you are looking around 600 for the bow still, it's a good bow and would be easily adjustable to fit his dl.
http://www.alpinearchery.com/closeouts%20page.html
They also have a bow called the frontier, it's a good bow, has a good axel to axel and brace height for targets, it does not look as fancy as target bows but should get the job done, for a package bow you're looking at 420 dollars
http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...0.8318.0.0.0.0
Like I said it's not as fancy as most target bows, but it would get the job done, everyone has to start somewhere. Alpine also has great customer service so you would not have nothing to worry about there. Hope this helps and that whatever you buy him he would love. I also like the gift certificate idea. Really he needs to test shot some bows to figure out which best suits him.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:56 PM   #7
grizz49
Old Archer

grizz49 is on a distinguished road
Smile There you Go!

Good Advice and a few things to consider! Good Luck and Merry Christmas from all of us at 3DSHOOTS.COM.........
09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.
grizz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Honestly

Let him pick it out. Bows are something one must shoot and feel comfortable in buying. My suggestion is get him a gift certificate from a good reputable pro shop. You will be glad you did this.
DB