Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #1
calibob

calibob is on a distinguished road
Default starting out

just getting started...found a shop that wanted to sell me a hoyt bow (forgot which one) at 499...but was looking more toward a pse stinger....would i be better off getting the more expensive bow or is the pse just as good for 200 less....to be used mostly for hunting also should i get one pre set up for a store ....or maybe the cheaper bow with better accessories...one more question i am left eye dominant but right handed....should i shoot left or right...never shooting a bow will it matter....thanks
calibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
one2bhunting

one2bhunting is on a distinguished road

man i would pick the bow that felt the best. shoot both of them and see which one "just feels better". which eye do you use to look down a scope? use the same eye for your bow.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
calibob

right eye to scope....maybe thats why i dont shoot that well...hah...thought it may be different with a bow
Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2bhunting View Post
man i would pick the bow that felt the best. shoot both of them and see which one "just feels better". which eye do you use to look down a scope? use the same eye for your bow.
Most high dollar bows are more for tournament often. There some low cost bows that can harvest any game. Get what fits your budget and feels good to you.

DB
Old 12-16-2009, 06:52 PM   #5
calibob

how is the pse stinger...at about 300 is ita good bow...will it last....do shops let you try them out before you buy usually
Old 12-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Northwest75

Northwest75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibob View Post
how is the pse stinger...at about 300 is ita good bow...will it last....do shops let you try them out before you buy usually
A PRO quality shop will want your business and do it properly. They will measure your DL and DW. Let them know what your price point is and they can start you out from there. When I first bought a bow, I bought a RTS kit. 3 months later, I knew that i wanted to upgrade the accesories on it already. Put the money in the bow first. then the accesories. That's what I've learned. If the shop doesn't want to adjust bows so that you can try them, Move on to another shop. They don't deserve you money and time. Don't buy a bow unless you tried it and you liked it. I acutually know 2 places that won't let you actually test fire bows, So i invest my money in other shops.Take a look at the PSE Bow madness bows, They are mainline bows but are smooth and great shooters. Just my 2 cents.
Northwest75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
calibob

thanks for the input...i will be looking into that....hopefull have a bow after xmas
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
calibob

what purpose is the stabilizer...is one better than another...what do you look for
Old 12-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

09Dreamseason will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to 09Dreamseason Send a message via Yahoo to 09Dreamseason

PSE is a GREAT line of bows. The stinger package is a good starting bow! I'm right handed and left eye dominant........but there isn't ANYONE in my shooting ring that can outshoot me right handed! Once you sight in I don't think eye dominance matters at all!

The stabilizer enables you to adjust the weight forward on your bow for proper rotation of the bow after the shot as well as offering another vibration reducing outlet! The more weight forward you have also offers a steadier hold for accuracy......many have quarraled over this issue as to what it really offers!

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
www.SaveOutdoorSports.com
09Dreamseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
calibob

when you say a good starter bow...what is meant...will it last....do you outgrow...what...and the stabilizer...what brands are good or not...the only thing about a small shop is they may want to get rid of stock they have...i wouldnt know the difference at all except for the info i have got here....thanks
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

Send a message via MSN to 09Dreamseason Send a message via Yahoo to 09Dreamseason

when I say "good starter bow" I'm referring to a GREAT affordability, strong, and long lasting bow......but it's NOT going to be the fastest, lightest, coolest bow out there!

it IS a bow that will retain it's value as a "starter" bow though!

I like limbsaver stabilizers because they are easy to find in many different lengths and VERY cost effective. Plus they work VERY good at vibration
reduction!

I wouldn't think you're going to "outgrow" any of these bows unless you end up with a draw length longer than 29 inches! Like you being over 6' 2", etc...

PSE Stinger
Parker Side-Kick Outfitter
Diamond Razor Edge
Bear Lights Out
Redhead Kronik

These are the bows that are packages less than $400 that are ready to shoot and I would recommed as a GREAT "starter" bow!

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com

Last edited by 09Dreamseason; 12-18-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

after you get your bow you pick a stabilizer that will allow a good sturdy hold and that will give you enough weight forward to allow the bow to roll forward out of your hand after you release.... It's a mathematical thing with levers here! The longer the lever and the more weight forward the easier to hold it. Think of a high-wire tight-rope walker.........they use a very long pole, not a short one!

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
Old 12-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

one more thing about stabilizers.........if you choose to hunt with it, you probably aren't going to want a long one. My target bow has a Doinker stabilizer that is 18 inches long and 3/4 inch in diameter. My hunting bow has a Sims Limbsaver stabilizer that is 7 inches long but 2 inches in diameter.

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com

Last edited by 09Dreamseason; 12-18-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #14
calibob

most of the hunting i will do is on foot...i doubt i will ever use a blind or a tree stand...maybe at a ranch....so would the length matter there
Old 12-18-2009, 11:29 PM   #15
09Dreamseason
Shooting Edge Technology

Quote:
most of the hunting i will do is on foot...i doubt i will ever use a blind or a tree stand...maybe at a ranch....so would the length matter there
It won't matter as much as making sure it doesn't get in the way while you're going through the trees and/or brush, etc........I just like to be as small as possible when I'm quietly walking through the woods.

The blind and walking is where a bigger stabilizer would get in the way! In the treestand it wouldn't matter as much as long as you trim your area for shooting!

www.ShootingEdgeTech.com
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #16
calibob

thanks for the info...i am sure i will have more when it gets closer to buying time
Old 01-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #17
calibob

purchased a hoyt powerhawk...wanted a better model but this fit the budget...shot for the first time today and loved it...cant wait to start hunting later this year in so cal...anyone with any tips on the area sure would help out
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 AM   #18
Big Ben 75

Big Ben 75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
purchased a hoyt powerhawk...wanted a better model but this fit the budget...shot for the first time today and loved it...cant wait to start hunting later this year in so cal...anyone with any tips on the area sure would help out
the powerhawk is a good bow enjoy!!

PSE Omen 70# HHA Ripcord Victory hv 1
Big Ben 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #19
runt

runt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to runt

this is what i done i had afriend at work that shot in tournaments with sponsors i asked him to go to the shop with me and help me pick out my first bow.. i got an pse bowmadness xs 60lb 25-30 inch draw range single cam i love my bow.. ask around at work or find a friend to help you pick good acces. i didnt pick the best but i also didnt get worst..
runt is offline   Reply With Quote