Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
TomT

TomT is on a distinguished road
Default How Do You Judge Distance?

The "3D vs FITA" thread brought the question up of how do you personally judge distance. I'll go first.
I surveyed for 30 years, and I still do it when I need some new arrows or stuff. I can visualize 50' and step it within 6" consistently (17 steps) over most terrain.
So when shooting 3D, I visualize a 50' spot, then raise my eyes to the target, and visualize how many steps it'd take me to get there, and add it to the 50'.
Accuracy breaks down over 100', but I generally can estimate it within a step. Beyond that, it's iffy at best, especially over a gully.
I taped the feet distances in yardage to my bow so I can interpolate on my slider, which I used to have marked in feet.
So, how do ya'll do it?
TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Range finder...
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #3
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Range finder...
Funny. My MK-1 eyeball don't need no batteries...
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #4
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
The "3D vs FITA" thread brought the question up of how do you personally judge distance. I'll go first.
I surveyed for 30 years, and I still do it when I need some new arrows or stuff. I can visualize 50' and step it within 6" consistently (17 steps) over most terrain.
So when shooting 3D, I visualize a 50' spot, then raise my eyes to the target, and visualize how many steps it'd take me to get there, and add it to the 50'.
Accuracy breaks down over 100', but I generally can estimate it within a step. Beyond that, it's iffy at best, especially over a gully.
I taped the feet distances in yardage to my bow so I can interpolate on my slider, which I used to have marked in feet.
So, how do ya'll do it?

Did a lot of Land Navigation courses in the Army, back before we has GPS.

We had to know and maintain our own "pace counts" and keep it on a string of beads. After a while it just became so ingrained, that to this day I still count(in my head) almost constantly anytime I am walking anywhere. Especially up or down stairs... it has become almost OCD.

Through that, I know how much distance I can cover in X amount of steps or seconds even.

When I am having trouble judging a target, I picture myself walking to it, or points along the way to it.

I am usually very close, unless I first look at the target and try to judge by size...then I second guess myself to death.

Sounds weird I know.... just one of the strange ways my brain works.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default I believe for 3d

Go judge as many targets that your going to be shooting.

I do more sight judging targets now days.

3d is only 50yrd max. I worked hard at knowing 30yrds. Then go from there.

If you can judge within a step. You will be good at 3d.
DB
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
stevewes2004

stevewes2004 is on a distinguished road

i dont shoot 3d, but i learned from playing competitive golf. like the surveyor above, i know distances in increments. for me its 5 yard incriments. i know counting 5 yard incriments is prolly not good enough in a 3D shoot that is timed, but it worked for me in the golfing world. i dont play anymore so im probably rusty at guessing yardage.

02 Cummins
stevewes2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
mw31

mw31 is on a distinguished road

How do I judge yardage?

Not very good at all.
mw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
Did a lot of Land Navigation courses in the Army, back before we has GPS.

We had to know and maintain our own "pace counts" and keep it on a string of beads. After a while it just became so ingrained, that to this day I still count(in my head) almost constantly anytime I am walking anywhere. Especially up or down stairs... it has become almost OCD.

Through that, I know how much distance I can cover in X amount of steps or seconds even.

When I am having trouble judging a target, I picture myself walking to it, or points along the way to it.

I am usually very close, unless I first look at the target and try to judge by size...then I second guess myself to death.

Sounds weird I know.... just one of the strange ways my brain works.
That's not weird at all. My first guess is the one I go with. If I second guess, it'll be long...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

First I stand on the mark, look down for a couple of seconds, look up at target and get a gut feel for the yardage.

Next

I spend a lot of time shooting 20 yards indoors....so I find a twenty yard mark, then I add or take away yards intil I reach the target.

next

Find ten yards, add another ten, and so on intil it reaches the target

I compair the distances......My gut feel is usually the closest.

If I'm not first, I like to watch the other shooters to see if they are guessing long or short, it can give you a hint to your yardage. Whether the sun, shade, angle, or other things are making the target look longer or closer.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
First I stand on the mark, look down for a couple of seconds, look up at target and get a gut feel for the yardage.

Next

I spend a lot of time shooting 20 yards indoors....so I find a twenty yard mark, then I add or take away yards intil I reach the target.

next

If I'm not first, I like to watch the other shooters to see if they are guessing long or short, it can give you a hint to your yardage. Whether the sun, shade, angle, or other things are making the target look longer or closer.

Not to mention, listening for arrow flight time.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM   #11
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

How do I judge yardage? Honestly? I stand at or near the shooting stake, look at the target, and a number jumps into my head. I can stand 3 yards behind the stake and get the same number. GUess I'm lucky. I'll usually be within 2 yards out to about 40. It gets a little iffy after that, but shooting local shoots I shoot Senior division so don't have to do anything over 35 yards, which is pretty much a gimme with the speed these days.

Yeah, there are times when I mess one up and when I do it's a doozy. Give me an animal I've never seen before, or hide part of it and I can be off a lot, but it's only once in a while. Not enough to miss, but enough to wake me up. I don't think I've lost an arrow in over ten years.

That's for 3D. For hunting it doesn't matter. Set a sight for 25 yards and shoot anything inside 30. No holding high or low. Just aim and shoot. And 30 yards is as far as I care to shoot at a live animal.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
JDX--

JDX-- will become famous soon enough

Hereís an article I wrote a while back, I hope some of this helps a few folks

Judging 3D targets Ė How far?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boy you get around any 3D course and everyone has their opinion on how to judge, most of the times you hear that you need to shoot more events to get better. Thatís probably true if you have a good idea on what methods to train with.

Some of the methods that are acceptable and legal when competing that I have been exposed to are the following.

Most folks will walk around in a wood a so forth picking out stumps, trees whatever they can find judge it and compare with a good quality laser. Great intro training!

A lot of folks will find where a 20 yard mark is and then either add 10 yard or 20 yard increments on to their 20.

Randy Ulmer always used to picture a 20 yard telephone pole lying on the ground and then he would picture flipping it over and over to the target.

Some folks will find the half way point and then double the distance to come close.

All of these methods work well but as you get into the games where they are using longer stakes and so forth trying to use the ground becomes a barrier at times and optical illusions take place.

There will be many times where the ground surface disappears between you and the target you will have drop offs deep valleys and or uphill humps that will keep you from getting any type of detail from the ground or cause a tunnel vision affect.

When one gets to this level the 2 most common ways of mastering the game are

Training yourself to judge the surface of the animal and not the animal type itself or the ground, you will walk up to the stake and glance at the body of the target your mind calculates a distant and most of the time it instantaneous and the you can double check yourself with the other methods if needed, this method works well because you are training judging off of a surface not size, or ground layouts you will be able to get a feel of what the tree next to the target is if the animal is somewhat hidden. All you need is a good visual and you get your signal, some folks refer to this as an instant gut feeling.

The best of the best 3Ders all have every animal that they will be judging, thatís a complete set of all targets, they will have them all setup and they will memorize the body size and detail changes on a given animal at the various distances. That meaning they know by memory that the mountain lion for example is a certain size at 35 versus 40 and that maybe the eye or a mark in the shoulder disappears at a certain yardage. Every animal is memorized in detail as to the changes from one yard to the next. They judge detail changes in the target and have them memorized.

Here again they are not studying the ground or yardages but strictly the detail of the target.

Yardage judging through progression in your 3D classes

I hope this helps folks
Good Shooting!

JDX-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #13
APAshooter92
choose your venom

APAshooter92 is on a distinguished road

Find the middle of you and the target, guess the distance to the middle then double it, works well for me
Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #14
Rattlinman
trust me, I know

Rattlinman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post

Next

next

+1 on this method...only problem is sometimes I get to arguing with myself over my gut vs my measured distances...people look at ya weird if your standing there mumbling

But at least I've never lost the arguement...yet
Rattlinman is offline   Reply With Quote