Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of
Default What do y'all think... should I ??

In the past Iíve been asked to do some coaching via video, photo and the telephone but Iíve always steered away from the concept because it isnít possible to see the slight flaws and ill defined movements without being there in person.

That doesnít mean I havenít freely given help where I could but Iíve never been comfortable in accepting payment for that help.. Except in person and one on one where my attention can be focused on the nuances of the individuals form and movement.

Well Iím being asked again to do this and these folks arenít taking no for an answerÖ What do yíall think should I accept the challenge and start charging a fee for the coaching time, and if so what do you think is an acceptable fee..?
Old 01-17-2010, 02:25 PM   #2
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Done right, you can satisfy both....

Out in the form of a simple web site or forum, then add a link or 2 for "donations" via Paypal.

for example.

http://www.performance-archery.tv/

On a personal note, as much work, time and sometimes, pain in the rear as it is to build, maintain a site...let alone the production time for a venture like this, you would almost have to charge for it. And anyone who would whine about the fees... just don't understand.

Last edited by CutTheLoop; 01-17-2010 at 02:27 PM.
CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

You could try starting off with a series of DVD's

These days, they are cheap to produce at home, simple video & editing software to get started.

Then offer a free lesson or 2 to students in exchange for using them to demonstrate on.

You name recognition and reputation would take care of the rest Mike.

And if you're thinking, "this is something I should have done 5 years ago...", why wait another 5 years to prove yourself right again.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #4
Jason Moore

Jason Moore is on a distinguished road

I think it could be possible if they sent clips of each shot and angle the camera different at each shot position. And then lable each frame. Then you could tell what was wrong and what was right and there would be no issue as to if you where talking about one shot and they thought you where talking about another on a correction or an ataboy. I think whatching an entire video and then trying to correct from that could possibly leave margin for error. Unless you had it setup as to where you could say at 1min 32 seconds in you seem to have to much weight on your back foot on that shot and this seems to be a pattern. Just an example of my thoughts. Either way I think the shooter would need to be able to get pics/footage from every angle possible to get and expect an accurate diagnosis.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Limey
Englishman

Limey is on a distinguished road

Javi your opinion is one of the few of the people I have met on the internet that I value enough to pay for.

In the end is down to how you feel about it.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Thanks for the responses..
Old 01-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

#1 do you want to do it?
#2 do you like doing it?
#3 you can work around small problems i am sure
#4 what are you waiting for????
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:17 AM   #8
Hoyt1945

Hoyt1945 is on a distinguished road

I personally would pay for advice. There have been several times that I wanted to pm javi and xquest for advice but didn't want to pester them. I know with their reputation, they receive a lot of pm's and phone calls. If I was paying for help, then I would not mind calling them.
Hoyt1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Go for it

Certianly most of all of us would enjoy watching.
DB
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #10
Monsterbuck10
Arrow Addiction

Monsterbuck10 is on a distinguished road
Default Teaching....get a BowcamTreecam

I teach aswell. I stem alot of my lectures from video footage taken using BowcamTreecam. The feedback created from shooting with your own video camera on your bow is excellent, and a great learning tool. It also allows you to mount the camera to a tree. This footage can also be very eductional for your students. It is the best camera mount available for teaching. Check it out www.bowcamtreecam.com. Have fun with it.
Monsterbuck10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Looney Bin
At least I admit Im Crazy

Looney Bin is on a distinguished road

Mike,

I've said this before, I wish you were closer so I could get private coaching.
However, IMO I would do this. You may not be able to catch every little detail, but you could certainly help alot.

First I would do a coaching and form DVD. A good shooter the shows your methods as an example with you doing the explaining.(Hopefully something Prettier to look at than just you. )

Second you can do personal consults, as long as you have video from multiple angles otherwise its hard to really see. However you have a good knack for being able to diagnose shooting problems over the phone. However this requires the shooter to be honest about whats really going on in their shot process.

Should you charge for it. Absolutely. Its alot of your time. Which is worth charging for. I don't work for free neither should you.

What do you charge for Private coaching now???? How in depth would you plan on getting with this phone/internet coaching??? What level of Shooter are you planning on taking on???? Is this form coaching or mental coaching????

Looney Bin is offline   Reply With Quote