Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 11-05-2006, 09:02 AM   #1
glyn

glyn is on a distinguished road
Default carbon arrow selection

hey guys,
i am wanting to get ready for some 3D shooting this summer and i want to get some carbon arrows. take in mind that i have only been shooting for about 3 weeks. ...
how to i make the arrow selection. i know they have a chart for that but i want to make sure that i don't get to light of an arrow for my bow. i am shooting a PSE Beast 29.5 draw at 70#. on the bow it says (min grain arrow of 420) how do i make sure that i don't go under that. i am useing Easton super slams 2213 right now with a right hand turn with 4inch duravanes that i fletched myself. also i was thinking of using Beman arrows with some blazer vanes.
another question:
has anyone used those crimson field points that have a cut for right hand turn?
glyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyn View Post
hey guys,
i am wanting to get ready for some 3D shooting this summer and i want to get some carbon arrows. take in mind that i have only been shooting for about 3 weeks. ...
how to i make the arrow selection. i know they have a chart for that but i want to make sure that i don't get to light of an arrow for my bow. i am shooting a PSE Beast 29.5 draw at 70#. on the bow it says (min grain arrow of 420) how do i make sure that i don't go under that. i am useing Easton super slams 2213 right now with a right hand turn with 4inch duravanes that i fletched myself. also i was thinking of using Beman arrows with some blazer vanes.
another question:
you shouldn't use those tips for 3-d, they will destroy the targets

420 grains is 6 grains / pound at 70 pounds. Not unusal for single cam bows due to the massive force being applied to the arrow. Its not hard to hit 6 GPP. I would suggest lowering your draw weight though. There is no need for 70 pounds. I shoot 62 for everything.

Carbons will be hard enough to pull out of targets without adding extra KE and you will probably only lose 10 - 20 fps by dropping it. (btw you would need at least 372 grain arrow)

As for arrows... you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap arrows you'll get cheap arrows. GoldTip makes an EXCELLET arrow and lots of different quality levels so it will hit what you are looking for. Carbon Express makes a GREAT shaft as well but they are pricey.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

I bought some Carbon Force X-Weaves this year and they perform great. They are a little cheaper than GT or CE. And I agree with Dreadly go ahead and lower that DW a little for shooting 3D that bow of yours is plenty fast.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #4
phone guy

phone guy is on a distinguished road

I shoot a hoyt trykon at 74 lbs I shoot field archery not 3d but my arrow bury into those bails deep even at 70 yards I would suggest not using that much weight. Really the only plus would be a smaller pin gap. I need the speed for long range shots where I hunt so I shoot field and hunt with the same set up. I shoot easton st axis 300s. What you want to do is spine your arrows to your draw weight. You need the arrow you plan on using and a second arrow that is a bare shat. next shoot a arrow the same length with no vanes at the same target. If you shoot right with the bare shaft the arrow is too weak cut off a quarter of an inch at a time. If the arrow is to the left the arrow is too stiff. Once you think you are close shoot the arrow through paper at various yardages. This will tell you if you are getting any amount of flex through out the flight. Keep in mind these shots must be good shots really the correct way is do do this with a shooting machine. Good luck I have spent alot of time at the bow shop getting my set up dialed in. The results I achieved with this spining process is that my fixed broadheads fly very close to my field points. Also another suggestion is to have all of your arrows match. Once you have built all of your arrows weight them with a scale. Try to get all of the arrows within one grain of each other. Another good arrow is the easton redlines. Quite a few people I shoot with use them and seem to be quite happy with them. Another popular one is the acc The are really good arrows as well the only fall back is that they are aluminum and are common for bending in hard 3d targets. Good luck.

Last edited by phone guy; 11-05-2006 at 11:38 PM.
phone guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

dont forget to take a look at CX maximas, they are light enough for 3-d, strong enough for hunting and have knock collars to help if you shoot indoor single spot.....very good all around arrow......available in standard and camo.....good price point also......
Old 11-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #6
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by glyn View Post
if you showed up at any of the 3-d shoots in my area they would ask you to remove these points or go home.......they do too much damage on $250 plus targets......
Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #7
glyn

glyn is on a distinguished road

thanks guys for the advice. i will for sure pass on the tips. guess it's time to start looking for some carbon express.
glyn is offline   Reply With Quote