Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
targets3d

targets3d is on a distinguished road
Default Can I use a 1/2 inch longer draw length bow?

I recently got measure for draw length at a pro shop (using a measuring arrow) - came to 26 in draw on a Razor Diamond. Another store measured me at 25.5 inch draw on Martin. I suspect the due to using different releases might have caused it - I also hear it could be the string.

My question, I am interested in a bow with a 26 in-30in draw (cannot get measure for that one - no Bear dealers where I am), would it be a problem if I was in fact 25.5 in draw using a 26 inch set draw bow. Would it affect shooting? are there workarounds?

Thanks
K
targets3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:54 AM   #2
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Honestly

My quess would be your 26". I would bet you could shoot a 1/2 longer.

Some bows can be a little different in draw.

Some releases certianly make a difference.

DB
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #3
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Unless you are thinking about possible resale value in the future You would be better off getting a bow that you can shoot near the upper end of it's draw length range or at least in the middle. Shooting at the shortest setting often means giving up performance. It also allows you to move or change the module to experiment with what draw length actually fits you better.

It's not usually a good thing to draw bows off the shelf to determine what draw length fits. Most bows are not what they are marked. Most run a little long. Unless the shop actually measures the bow to determine it's AMO draw length you can almost bet it isn't as marked on the limb sticker.

That being said, if you find a bow within your price range and it fits you well then don't worry what the limb sticker says. Just be sure that the bow is set to factory specs before you get a final fit. Then draw it and see how it feels.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
targets3d

targets3d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Unless you are thinking about possible resale value in the future You would be better off getting a bow that you can shoot near the upper end of it's draw length range or at least in the middle. Shooting at the shortest setting often means giving up performance. It also allows you to move or change the module to experiment with what draw length actually fits you better.

It's not usually a good thing to draw bows off the shelf to determine what draw length fits. Most bows are not what they are marked. Most run a little long. Unless the shop actually measures the bow to determine it's AMO draw length you can almost bet it isn't as marked on the limb sticker.

That being said, if you find a bow within your price range and it fits you well then don't worry what the limb sticker says. Just be sure that the bow is set to factory specs before you get a final fit. Then draw it and see how it feels.
Bfisher, you raise an interesting point about shooting a bow at the upper end of its draw length. I had always wandered if that made a difference. Does that mean I should look at youth bows or will it be too small. I am 5'6 adult.
targets3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Not necessarily a youth bow, as you call it. Just look at bows designed for shorter draw lengths---people of shorter stature. Several companies make such bows. I know Bow Tech has one, but I can't remember the name.

I'm almost in the same boat as you. I shoot just about 26.5" and many of the bows that interest me start at 27" and go up. Well, I know that won't work. A good example is the 2010 Martin ShadowCat; just the bow I've been looking for for several years, but it won't go short enough. So I had to settle for a second choice---Rytera Alien Z with Hybrix 1.5 cams.I'm right in the middle of it's draw length range so I have room to play either way and still get decent performance.

Right now I'm shooting a Martin FireCat that supposedly goes down to 26", but I've actually measured the AMO draw length on the shortest setting and it's 26 5/8". Not really complaining because it fits me to a "T". Just that pound for pound and inch for inch the efficiency would be higher and get higher speed if I were shooting near the top of the draw length range. How much might be open for debate, but us short guys need all the help we can get.

And I might add that I'm concerned about speed for 3D. Normal hunting ranges for eastern hardwoods whitetails doesn't concern me one bit. I been doing this for over 3 1/2 decades and shot deer with bows shooting as low as 190 fps and blew right through. My average speed in a hunting setup usually ends up about 265 fps so I don't fret about speed or kinetic energy. Guys make too much of both of these issues.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
gamoboy

gamoboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gamoboy Send a message via Skype™ to gamoboy

if you get a bow with a 1/2 long draw i belive you can shorten the draw by putting a few twists in the string and find a release that feels good for your draw. im not completely sure about the string twist idea, maybe some one can help me out. and even if you are able to twist the strings a little bit it will not give you 1/2 inch but will bring you a little bit closer
CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
Trophy Taker Pronghorn
gamoboy is offline   Reply With Quote