Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

X-Shooter-GB is on a distinguished road
Default ASA shoots?

Hi all,

I am looking to try and make some ASA shoots this year and had a couple questions. How do the tournaments work? I see there is something about qualifiers? Do you have to shoot a qualifier to be able to shoot the main shoots listed on their website or is it something different? Also I have heard there is a known 50 and known 45, are these known yardages? Also are these part of the main shoots, like a division or just a fun thing? Also I know there is a speed limit but I don't know what it is?

I shoot a lot of my local 3d shoots around NM, but I am looking to shoot some more national 3ds.

Thanks for the help,
Glen
X-Shooter-GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
Mo_Archergirl
Hoyt Rocks

Mo_Archergirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shooter-GB View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to try and make some ASA shoots this year and had a couple questions. How do the tournaments work? I see there is something about qualifiers? Do you have to shoot a qualifier to be able to shoot the main shoots listed on their website or is it something different? Also I have heard there is a known 50 and known 45, are these known yardages? Also are these part of the main shoots, like a division or just a fun thing? Also I know there is a speed limit but I don't know what it is?

I shoot a lot of my local 3d shoots around NM, but I am looking to shoot some more national 3ds.

Thanks for the help,
Glen
The qualifiers are if you want to go to the classic and only shot like one or two mains shoots that qualifier will allow you to shot the classic.The known 50 and 45 are part of the main shoot and are all known yardages both days.The speed limit is 260. Hope this helps.
Mo_Archergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

All of the adult men's classes have a speed limit of 280 fps with a variance for chrono differences. This means you can shoot a 288 through the ASA chrono and be ok, shoot a 289 and you are in trouble.

If you are in NM, come on over to the Paris, TX Pro-Am. It may be the best shoot of the year. If you don't qauilfy for the classic there, you can qaulify through the ASA Federation (state level) shoots. There are a ton of them in Oklahoma and the new Colorado director will have a few opportunities as well.

The Pro-Ams are a great time. We always want to meet new shooters from new places.
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
All of the adult men's classes have a speed limit of 280 fps with a variance for chrono differences. This means you can shoot a 288 through the ASA chrono and be ok, shoot a 289 and you are in trouble.

If you are in NM, come on over to the Paris, TX Pro-Am. It may be the best shoot of the year. If you don't qauilfy for the classic there, you can qaulify through the ASA Federation (state level) shoots. There are a ton of them in Oklahoma and the new Colorado director will have a few opportunities as well.

The Pro-Ams are a great time. We always want to meet new shooters from new places.
Thanks for all of the replies.

I wish I could go to Paris TX, but I'm gonna shoot the NFAA indoor nationals the week before, so it will be a little to close. I won't have my 3d bow set up yet.

Just so I understand, the main shoots listed on the website are qualifiers and can be used to go to the Classic? How many qualifiers do you have to make to go to the Classic or is it based on your score? Also when is the Classic this year?

Thanks,
Glen
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
mrpibb

mrpibb is on a distinguished road

You do not have to shoot a qualifier to shoot the pro ams, however if you only shoot one pro am you must qualify at the state level to attend the classic i believe. Some one correct me if I'm wrong.
mrpibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

What do the pro ams consist of? I know the pro am in the Redding shoot was just a side thing. Is that the same in the ASA shoots or is it part of the main tournament?

So you have to qualify at the state shoots or can you use the main shoots listed on ASA's website to qualify to go to the classic?
Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
mrpibb

mrpibb is on a distinguished road

To answer your questioin, ASA Pro Ams are national level shoots. They consist of A pro am shoot on Friday, where pro's and amatuers are teamed up, you shoot for group score and can discuss yardage among other shooting tips with the Pro your assigned with. I is a really fun event and helps to get you accustomed to the range along with getting to meet all kinds of people. Saturday is when you shoot your first round of 20 targets for score in your respective class. Competion is completed on a second round of 20 on Sunday for your final score. After which there is a shoot down round for Pro class's. This year ASA will also have some of the other class's shoot down for final score too. There is also the Limbsaver known distance competition available throughout the weekend as well. This is a separate range involving 10 targets set at know distance where you can compete against people in your respective class for money. Pro Am's are the most well organized shooting format that there is. If you attend one, you will want to attend them all.
mrpibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpibb View Post
To answer your questioin, ASA Pro Ams are national level shoots. They consist of A pro am shoot on Friday, where pro's and amatuers are teamed up, you shoot for group score and can discuss yardage among other shooting tips with the Pro your assigned with. I is a really fun event and helps to get you accustomed to the range along with getting to meet all kinds of people. Saturday is when you shoot your first round of 20 targets for score in your respective class. Competion is completed on a second round of 20 on Sunday for your final score. After which there is a shoot down round for Pro class's. This year ASA will also have some of the other class's shoot down for final score too. There is also the Limbsaver known distance competition available throughout the weekend as well. This is a separate range involving 10 targets set at know distance where you can compete against people in your respective class for money. Pro Am's are the most well organized shooting format that there is. If you attend one, you will want to attend them all.

Oh ok, thanks for explaining it for me.

So say I plan on attending the limbsaver shoot in KY, will that serve as a qualifier to get me to the Classic, or will I have to shoot one of the state qualifiers to go to the Classic?

Thanks very much for your time,
Glen
Old 02-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #9
MuleyCrazy

MuleyCrazy is on a distinguished road
Default The classic

I believe the top twenty in each class from any Pro-AM qualifies you for the classic in that class. The individual state qualifiers are for your state championship. But I may be wrong?
Old 02-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #10
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

Thanks for all of the help. So if I shoot in one of the pro ams like the Limbsaver one I mentioned, if I place in the top twenty in my class then I will be able to go to the Classic?

Thanks,
Glen
Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
bhtr3d

bhtr3d is on a distinguished road

The Pro Am and the qualifiers are two completely different functions:

For the Pro/Am: We have six shoots that are in different parts of the country that are the hosts. To qualify for the Classic you are to shoot at least 2 to qualify.

For the qualifiers: They are used at the state level, and were designed for the grassroots program into getting people involved and interested in shooting 3d and ASA.
To qualify for the classic this way you are to shoot: a qualifier in whatever state you wish to, then if you place in the top 50% or top 10 whichever is of the greater. You then become qualified for that states championship. There you will need to compete and place in the top 10.

There are a couple other ways also to be awarded and welcomed to the Classic:
If you become a lifetime member of ASA you are welcomed to the Classic, along with qualified to shoot any state championship in the country.

Also, ASA reserves the right to grant anyone a bid to the Classic.
bhtr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhtr3d View Post
The Pro Am and the qualifiers are two completely different functions:

For the Pro/Am: We have six shoots that are in different parts of the country that are the hosts. To qualify for the Classic you are to shoot at least 2 to qualify.

For the qualifiers: They are used at the state level, and were designed for the grassroots program into getting people involved and interested in shooting 3d and ASA.
To qualify for the classic this way you are to shoot: a qualifier in whatever state you wish to, then if you place in the top 50% or top 10 whichever is of the greater. You then become qualified for that states championship. There you will need to compete and place in the top 10.

There are a couple other ways also to be awarded and welcomed to the Classic:
If you become a lifetime member of ASA you are welcomed to the Classic, along with qualified to shoot any state championship in the country.

Also, ASA reserves the right to grant anyone a bid to the Classic.
So basically if I shot a qualifier in TX and qualified then I would have to shoot their state championships in order to qualify for the classic?

The other way would be to shoot two pro ams to qualify?

Thanks for all of the help,
Glen
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #13
bhtr3d

bhtr3d is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Shooter-GB View Post
So basically if I shot a qualifier in TX and qualified then I would have to shoot their state championships in order to qualify for the classic?

The other way would be to shoot two pro ams to qualify?

Glen
that is correct
bhtr3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #14
X-Shooter-GB
All X's be warned

Ok cool.

Glen