Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-15-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
dan flood

dan flood is on a distinguished road
Default Scope setups and the pros?

Just curious, What are most pros using for their setups? Up pins, center drilled pins, dots, circles, center grind or?
dan flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #2
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan flood View Post
Just curious, What are most pros using for their setups? Up pins, center drilled pins, dots, circles, center grind or?
Most of us use some type of post but I know of one Pro that shoots a etched spot on his lens.

I prefer the up post. Mainly cause that is what I am used to and it helps on dark targets. I can just run the pin up the leg. Most of the time that will atleast get me a 10.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Pictures

From most the pictures I take. Black dot on the lens is most popular.

Actually high powered lens and large black dot is very popular.

Im finding a black dot with a touch of white or bright green is used alot.

Im quessing your talking indoor spots?

DB

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 02-15-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:35 AM   #4
dan flood

Yes, Indoor spots is what I'm looking for. Decided to give it a shot until it gets warm enough to get back outside.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

A lot of the top indoor shooters are using some variation of a center grind.. with no dot, pin or ring..
Old 02-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough
Default I'm no pro but.........

I use a large black dot that covers the "X" ring.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #7
jame

Quote:
Yes, Indoor spots is what I'm looking for. Decided to give it a shot until it gets warm enough to get back outside.
My bad. I thought you were refering to 3D. For indoor some type of a dot or center grind. I like the larger dot myself but I seen Bradens dot and it is quite a bit smaller than what I shoot. I also depends on the power of lens you put the dot on.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:36 AM   #8
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Here is a photo of the one Braden Gellenthien uses, he also sells them..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19640_750876680029_7806909_43621421_3604717_n.jpg (35.9 KB, 543 views)
Old 02-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
Daniel Boone

Default Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Do you know the grind he uses? What is the name of that scope?

Broadwater uses a 6X with one power Clearfier from Brite site at times. I use the same as well.
DB
Old 02-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
dan flood

Javi, Is that a frosted lens with center magnification?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:01 AM   #11
Daniel Boone

Default Frosted lens

Quote:
Javi, Is that a frosted lens with center magnification?
I shoot one just like it from Britesite. Only thing I tell folks it can be easy to get on the wrong target with the frosted lens. But they do help those of us who dont like to chase a dot.

http://www.britesite.us/lenses_1.html
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #12
JAVI

Smokeshow scopes is what he calls them... Dan I believe he uses a 6X I can ask him if you want..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19640_750876685019_7806909_43621422_2595730_n.jpg (30.7 KB, 474 views)

Last edited by JAVI; 02-16-2010 at 10:06 AM.
JAVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
dan flood

The 6X seems to be a bit much (movement) when I use my up pin setup. But it may be different with a larger openning or center grind. I sometimes fall into a habit of dropping my pin to verify that I'm still on target, and then getting it back up. Seems I want to see my target (the X). I'm usually able to still get a piece of the X ring on a 5 spot when I drop it, but I don't think a vegas face will be that forgiving. Haven't shot the vegas face yet.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #14
Daniel Boone

Default Braden

Quote:
Smokeshow scopes is what he calls them... Dan I believe he uses a 6X I can ask him if you want..
I would like to hear his set up.

Diamentor of his scope. Looks like a one inch in the picture.

Seems from what I read the 3/8" is more popular over all with most.

I believe tru spot will make there lens to fit any scope.
DB
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #15
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
I would like to hear his set up.

Diamentor of his scope. Looks like a one inch in the picture.

Seems from what I read the 3/8" is more popular over all with most.

I believe tru spot will make there lens to fit any scope.
DB

He's in the air right now headed to Vegas but I'll be happy to ask, it never occurred to me that anyone would care what power lens he would use because what works for Braden isn't likely to be exactly the ticket for anyone else.

Yes, Jim at TrueSpot will grind a custom lens for almost any scope. The 3/8" grind is probably the most popular with those who can let the brain do its work... but those who are hellbent on controling the aiming process usually buy a 1/4" and then reject the concept as unworkable...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #16
Daniel Boone

Default Blurry works

Quote:
He's in the air right now headed to Vegas but I'll be happy to ask, it never occurred to me that anyone would care what power lens he would use because what works for Braden isn't likely to be exactly the ticket for anyone else.

Yes, Jim at TrueSpot will grind a custom lens for almost any scope. The 3/8" grind is probably the most popular with those who can let the brain do its work... but those who are hellbent on controling the aiming process usually buy a 1/4" and then reject the concept as unworkable...
Liteumup here came home the other day from eye doctor. His vision was blurry. Shot a good round. Sometimes blurry can be a good thing.
DB
Old 02-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
bout

bout is on a distinguished road
Default 4 what it is worth

I use a 2X 6X 3/8 Specialty archery and I have a ring around the 6X and I shot some really good scores last year in field and love it for indoor paper but it is not my game. BHFS is ..............
bout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:54 AM   #18
jame

Quote:
I Guilliteens scope at Iowa. He was using a small black dot to aim with. Not sure what power.

Also I was talking with Dave Cousins in Florida and he said Jesse has gone back to a dot to aim with. It surprised me cause he shot the frosted lense so well.
jame
Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #19
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

I'm no pro either, but I use a 1 3/8" scope with a clear 6X lens. No dot or circle. It seems to help me not stress over aiming movement since I don't see it as much. My scores have gone up a little.

I got the idea from one of Javi's posts.

Once I can get my form to the point that it should be, I will probably go back to an orange circle. Or maybe not.

Allen
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #20
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
I Guilliteens scope at Iowa. He was using a small black dot to aim with. Not sure what power.

Also I was talking with Dave Cousins in Florida and he said Jesse has gone back to a dot to aim with. It surprised me cause he shot the frosted lense so well.
jame
jame, you will find that those boys are constantly changing and changing back in the ever present search for that one extra X, and their game both mentally and physically is strong enough to allow them that luxury.. The rest of us are not so lucky..
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM   #21
Daniel Boone

Default Change

Quote:
jame, you will find that those boys are constantly changing and changing back in the ever present search for that one extra X, and their game both mentally and physically is strong enough to allow them that luxury.. The rest of us are not so lucky..
Often lighting can be a factor. Didnt look all that bright there at Nimes under the lights.
DB
Old 02-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
jame

Quote:
I understand that. I go through the same things. I can add or subtract an ounce of weight or speed or slow my release down and it works for a while. Just something to confuse the brain and build some confindence.
Jame
Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #23
JAVI

There are a handful of archers in the entire world who define their game by a single inside out baby X on a target; Braden G. is one of them. The rest of us are simply trying to raise our game to their level, but sometimes we get to caught up in their equipment and forget what the real cause of their success is and it has almost nothing to do with their equipment.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #24
acesup

acesup is on a distinguished road

question about the tru spot lense.......If your shooting outdoor fita or field and are shooting in windy conditions, how exactly do you aim off if you have to, without a reference like a dot or pin? An I missing something?
acesup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:37 AM   #25
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesup View Post
question about the tru spot lense.......If your shooting outdoor fita or field and are shooting in windy conditions, how exactly do you aim off if you have to, without a reference like a dot or pin? An I missing something?
Really there are two common methods of adjusting for the wind outdoors, one is to bubble off (tilt the top of the bow into the wind) and the other to focus on a point off center; either will work with the TrueSpot lens.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM   #26
emt22

emt22 is on a distinguished road

how do you get a simple nice scope like this ?
emt22 is offline   Reply With Quote