Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough
Default Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since the Florida ASA ProAm shoot, I have several friends who attended have reported credit card theft, charges for plane tickets to India, $900 withdraws from ATM machines, big ticket item purchases etc.

IF YOU ATTENDED THIS SHOOT, YOU MAY WANT TO CONTACT YOUR CC COMPANY....NOW.

Some of these charges occurred the day of, and some are still occurring as of yesterday.

Some are thinking it was related to Hotel charges, but few of them stayed in the same place, or ate at same restaurants etc. Yet, there are too many similarities otherwise, for this to be random occurrence.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default True

ABOK was just telling me this happen to him.

Art said the stuff bought on his is going to Irving.

DB

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 02-14-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Man that is some crazy stuff. I will definatly have to check into that tommorrow. I will pass on the info tonight.

THANKS ALOT FOR LETTING US ALL KNOW.
Jame
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
ABOK

ABOK is on a distinguished road
Default People Suck

They used my CC info on early Monday morning and tried to do a bunch of internet purchasing. Most of it didn't go through because the ship to address was different than the card address. They were having items shipped to Irving, Tx.. Whoever was trying to use my credit card had my home phone number and my address!!!!! I hope they get caught.....
Old 02-14-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

SandSquid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOK View Post
They used my CC info on early Monday morning and tried to do a bunch of internet purchasing.
should be easy to track down since most secure purchasing site use MAC and IP logging... Subpoena the router logs and your going to jail, or you can staked out, spread eagle, buck naked on top of a red and hill and smeared in honey, while 100 meters down range of the next Clout Shoot.....

Gone camping in the mountains of Afghanistan.
Will return sometime in early/mid 2012.
SandSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Oh that's terrible...when they find them, get a rope and a tall tree.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 AM   #7
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

That has to suck. I am always amazed at how goofy people can be. Hope everything gets straightened out for you guys.
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Get the address to the place your stuff was being shipped to in Irving. We can track down who ever it is. I only live about 1.5 hours from there.
I say lets take care of it ourselves. If they want to go back to INDIA then we can make sure they are sent back in a box. JK.

Hope everything works out Art. Keep us updated.
jame
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

What all these folks need to be doing, is contacting the State of Florida Attorney Generals office.

This is probably very widespread, and their info could help aid in tracking down these dirtbags.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
CutTheLoop

The ball is rolling...

Quote:
If you experienced credit card fraud in Gainesville, please contact me and tell me all of the places you used or presented your card info while you were there. My email address: mtyrell@asaarchery.com
Thanks,
Mike@ASA

Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
J.A.G.

J.A.G. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to J.A.G.

saw on another sight that someone said it was ASA that was hacked. Soo, be careful, I am sure they will get it worked out.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

We've been fighting ID theft and CC fraud for 2 years. I second the tall tree. They should not be allowed to live, and I'm not JK.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
ABOK

ABOK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
Get the address to the place your stuff was being shipped to in Irving. We can track down who ever it is. I only live about 1.5 hours from there.
I say lets take care of it ourselves. If they want to go back to INDIA then we can make sure they are sent back in a box. JK.

Hope everything works out Art. Keep us updated.
jame
My credit card co. took care of everything immediately and nothing has been charged to me, thank goodness!!!! The only 2 places that I used my credit card where they would have my home phone number and home address was a RV campground I stopped at on the way home in Memphis and the ASA. I'm guessing it came from the ASA side since all these other people also had problems. I'm not pointing fingers or laying blame on anyone, I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again to me or anyone else for that matter.

I may just have to go back to paying cash and writing checks. The internet companies wouldn't give me the address in Irving Tx. where they were trying to ship the items. They said they would give that info to the authorities.

Thanks for caring buddy!!!!!
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 AM   #14
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABOK View Post
The internet companies wouldn't give me the address in Irving Tx. where they were trying to ship the items. They said they would give that info to the authorities.
Yes, that is as it needs to be. As I said earlier, they may (quite likely) even require a subpoena from the authorities to protect their own azzes. Also they are protecting the criminal from vigilante justice and themselves from liability.... Lets say they did give you the address and you decided to go pay these stellar individuals a visit in person. And some bad ju-ju went down, since after-all what otehr purpose would there be for such a visit? The criminal (or their survivors) sues you for beating them to a pulp, and the Co. for releasing their private information to you which gave you the ability to go beat them to a pulp.

They did their job and protected you, the rightful CC account owner, from fraudulent charges. beyond that do not expect anything else from them.

Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
Mike Leiter

Mike Leiter is on a distinguished road

This also happened to me and I wasn't at the ASA or any thing related to it. It also happened to two others that I know of that attended the shoot in Lancaster.

My guess is that some database that we all use got hacked and the numbers were stolen. These thieves will try to buy everything they can online and then they'll try to sell whatever they can get away with on ebay or some other site.

I'm sorry that ATM's were hit and that anyone lost any money. I was luck and the bank stopped it right away because it was flagged for suspicious activity.
Mike Leiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #16
CutTheLoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leiter View Post
This also happened to me and I wasn't at the ASA or any thing related to it. It also happened to two others that I know of that attended the shoot in Lancaster.

My guess is that some database that we all use got hacked and the numbers were stolen. These thieves will try to buy everything they can online and then they'll try to sell whatever they can get away with on ebay or some other site.

I'm sorry that ATM's were hit and that anyone lost any money. I was luck and the bank stopped it right away because it was flagged for suspicious activity.

True

This could very well be from a single db, or one very large shared db. Some have even suggested the info was sold. Not as likely.

It is however; likely someone was hacked(really doesn't take much) by a very determined organized effort, based on the scale of it, and it is probably larger than we realize.

What is troublesome, is for someone to insist it was not their site or system that was compromised, having been hacked does not imply they would be culpable, but denial will certainly leave people with a false sense of security going forward...

there's not a lock made or password strong enough to keep out a truly determined thief... they have a multitude of dirty tricks, most of them are simple human social engineering(usually works and is great way to gain Admin level access to online info), in today's wireless world, some of this information can literally be sucked right out of thin air, even using what we thought yesterday, was solid encryption.

One of their easiest tricks is spoofing, they send an email that looks completely legit...say from Paypal or Bank of America, has the paypal or Bof A logo and all sorts of other legal mumbo jumbo on it... asking you to change or verify your account password and other personal info.

Some people unknowingly click right along and fall for it, having missed that part on any legitimate sites information and/or terms of service.

Golden Rule for 99.9% of them : THEY WILL NEVER, NEVER, NEVER..under any circumstances, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...did I say NEVER?.... send you an email or call you asking you to verify or change your password. So if you received communication asking to do so............. DON'T DO IT.

I see stuff like this everyday in my profession...yes, even still in 2010. You think people would learn by now. When your network guys are stressing one more time, like we have for 10-15 years now... if you receive an unsolicited email with an attachment....DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT.... guess what, inevitably someone ALWAYS opens the attachment.. That is a type of social engineering I mentioned.... they, the bad guys, know someone out there, somewhere is dying to open one.

Simple rule and lesson to be learned...

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck... don't give that duck your credit card info.

Last edited by CutTheLoop; 02-16-2010 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
CutTheLoop

Update:

This applies to everyone who has used a credit card through the ASA office in the last few years. We retain credit card numbers on our database to expedite call processing. In some cases the numbers on file are over two years old, and have expiration dates from 2008 or before.

It would appear that our main database was compromised in Gainesville due the availability of their WIFI network and a new laptop computer that was WIFI enabled.

This does not affect anyone who used our on-site credit card processing system, only those who had a credit card on-file with our office.

Please check your credit cards and look for any suspicious activity beginning with February 4th. Report it to your credit card company and notify us with the last four digits of your card.

We apologize for this breach and are working to assist the authorities in their investigation.

Mike@ASA

http://asaarchery.com/news/index.php...pper&Itemid=29

Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 AM   #18
SandSquid
Uncle Sam's Canoe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
they have a multitude of dirty tricks, most of them are simple human social engineering.

Sounds to me like you've been to the Certified Ethical Hacker course ;-)

Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #19
CutTheLoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandSquid View Post
Sounds to me like you've been to the Certified Ethical Hacker course ;-)

Among others.

Been doing this a while now. You almost need a Psychology degree to do this job anymore.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:27 AM   #20
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutTheLoop View Post
Since the Florida ASA ProAm shoot, I have several friends who attended have reported credit card theft, charges for plane tickets to India, $900 withdraws from ATM machines, big ticket item purchases etc.

IF YOU ATTENDED THIS SHOOT, YOU MAY WANT TO CONTACT YOUR CC COMPANY....NOW.

Things like this are exactly why I quit shooting competitive 3-D.

Hope all is made right for those of you who got ripped off and hope the culprit/s is brought to justice.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 PM   #21
master Cleatus
Jerry Whittington

master Cleatus is on a distinguished road

aime and I where hit too...$2,700 worth...lucky for us,,our bank was ontop of it...and already returned our money....
master Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #22
ba3darcher

ba3darcher is on a distinguished road

I checked with my cc nothing unusual yet, went ahead and closed account anyway to be on the safe side.
ba3darcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #23
CutTheLoop

Hate to make light of such a serious situation... but 'someone' was hit for $2700.... down payment on a new Kawasaki.

Somewhere out there, is a motorcycle salesman looking for a new job.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
mobowdoctor

mobowdoctor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

Hope all is made right for those of you who got ripped off and hope the culprit/s is brought to justice.
guess you better stop eating out since i had my # stolen and hit for 6000.00 in online items
It happend by some one working in a resturant we ate in
its just the world now, nothing to do with archery or shooters

my bank card is used for large buys no limit just whats in there
lucky i did not get to the bank that day to put in a deopsit i just got on the next job. the bank covered my money till they got it back.
good luck all I know its a hardship

Last edited by mobowdoctor; 02-18-2010 at 04:02 PM.
mobowdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #25
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

Thtat's good Slippy
At least it wad'nt tha wind

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #26
mobowdoctor

mobowdoctor is on a distinguished road

Here is some new news
It was not the ASA that was hit
http://asaarchery.com/news/index.php...pper&Itemid=29
mobowdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote