Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

HCH is on a distinguished road
Default Why I Chose Strother Archery over Elite for 2010

I have just noticed that every year Kevin's designs get better, and he has done his best creations yet, with the 2010 Strother lineup. My new SR-71 is smooth, fast, quiet, dead in the hand, and has a solid backwall. A little history with my opinion. I have owned an 06 Bowtech Tribute, then owning his improvement to that bow, which was the 06 Elite E-force, which was a better bow then the Tribute, an 06 E-500, which was a better bow then the Bowtech Allegiance, an 08 Elite GTO, and and 09 Elite GT500 , and now a 2010 Strother SR-71. Obviously, I like his style in bows. Right now, imo, Elite is basically just selling Kevin Strothers old models, except for the Judge. Elite did add adjustable mods to their bows this year, and this is better imo, then draw length specific bows. Well, I have his latest/best design imo, with my new Strother SR-71. I shot the Judge at Crackers shop in MO; VERY disappointed. It was a stiff draw, it had a noisy irritating little buzz to it, and it had noticeable hand shock. I felt it was a step back for Elite. I shot it back to back with the Strother SR-71. I could have bought the Judge at Crackers, or the SR-71. The SR-71 was the clear winner. Clear. Ray Charles would have stated the same; as closing your eyes is best way to really feel and hear the quality of the Strother, and the lack of quality in the Elite Judge. Both were bare bows; except the Judge had limb dampeners on it, the Strother none; nor does it need any and my bow won't have any added to it. Looks wise, I love the Predator camo on the Strother, over the Elite's camo. Shooting wise, it is a tack driver, and I really like the two draw stops, and the fact that it came with Crackers strings on it. I have put well over 400 shots through the bow, and the peep just comes back perfect, and the bow shoots phenomenal. I don't get paid to review bows, nor any company discounts. I just wanted to share my opinion and excitement over this new bow. Shoot them your self back to back..make up your own mind.

What did you shoot before you switched to a Strother, and what decided the switch for you?

A few pics of my new killer

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum

General Archery Forum
John 3:16 Lifetime NRA Member/Iowa Bow Hunters Association/"Crackerized"Strother SR-71 "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6 UL shelter/stove geek
HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
bobbyb

bobbyb is on a distinguished road

Had a GT500 and while it was a very good bow it is no where near as good as my Strother SR71 Blackbird. 28 1/2 60#, IBO arrow at 330- FPS. I still have a Darton 3500 and while it is a good bow as well, Because of the Elite issues Kevin brought this bow out with hybrids rather than binarys, sure glad he did. the SR71 is much, much better. What fascinates me is how quiet the bow is with nothing on the limbs or string. I opted to have Wes VanHorn build me a set of strings for the bling. Crackers strings are very good but I wanted a little colour. (Purple and flo yellow).

Bow was very easy to tune and get bullet holes with. It does like a little bit of a softer spine arrow but will shoot anything in to the same hole. Because of the Elite issues Kevin brought this bow to market with Hybrid cams instead of the binaries. In retrospect that was great for us as I believe this cam system is better than the binaries..
Edit/Delete Message
bobbyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Cornfed

Cornfed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Why I Chose Strother Archery over Elite for 2010
Here I half expected the explanation to have something to do with you hitting your head and severe blunt force trama ?!? Temporary insanity or something like that!

Best of luck with your new rig, HCH. It does look great!
Cornfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default I often ask

Why even mention Elite?

Be happy with your bow and move on. Glad the Strothers bow works for you.

Elite makes a very good bow. Look at how many won at Florida shooting against some of the toughest compition in archery. Semi pro class.

Tim Ewers in Vegas in the BHFS Pro class.

Just be happy with your bow. No reason to try and compare todays bows. So many out there that are excellant bows.

Just find what works for you.
DB

Last edited by Daniel Boone; 03-09-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Daniel Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed will become famous soon enough

Strother makes a good bow for sure, just ask him.

Elite parting ways w/ Strother if nothing provides stability to their company.

Love the predator btw..

Last edited by BuckeyeRed; 03-09-2010 at 09:05 PM.
BuckeyeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
daschoppe

daschoppe is on a distinguished road

Great looking bow!
daschoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
RageBlood

RageBlood is on a distinguished road

Who cares - not me - I'm tired of these threads.
Mathews Apex & Apex 7
RageBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Big Ben 75

Big Ben 75 is on a distinguished road

I love it lets keep it going!!!!!!

PSE Omen 70# HHA Ripcord Victory hv 1
Big Ben 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #9
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageBlood View Post
Who cares - not me - I'm tired of these threads.
You care cause I see you whining about it all the time all over the internet. Jealous?

Not everyone on earth is going to shoot an Elite, get the hell over it. Okay?

You have taken Fanboyism to a level unparalleled since...well....MeanV2.

Now get over yourself and get yourself a Strother for a backup to your Elite stable.

You owe it to yourself to own a Strother.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 AM   #10
Daniel Boone

Default Im curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
You care cause I see you whining about it all the time all over the internet. Jealous?

Now get over yourself and get yourself a Strother for a backup to your Elite stable.

Why didnt he pick the Bowtech Destoyer Bow of the year havent you heard? Ill soon be giving a thread why I choose my Hoyt, Bowtech and Elite over all other bows. Now those darn PSE folks are making a few really good bows. You know they won Vegas.
DB

DB
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Why you got to sugar coat everything?

Tell it like it is for once would you.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM   #12
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

My question is, is this Archery Talk or 3D shoots?
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #13
XQuest

XQuest is on a distinguished road
Default Aughhhhh Jame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
Haven't you heard......WWE........We Will Entertain
XQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Why didnt he pick the Bowtech Destoyer Bow of the year havent you heard? Ill ....

Heck yeah!

Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #15
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
look up at your web browser:

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=266530

Old 03-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #16
RageBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator eye View Post
Why you got to sugar coat everything?

Tell it like it is for once would you.

I stopped responding to that person two weeks ago, I'm no fan boy, and if he knew me he would know that - but he doesn't...... and I have nothing against strother, maybe he should look and see how many different forums this exact same thread was posted on x4 by my count!

I really honestly don't care OAO for good.
Mathews Apex & Apex 7
Old 03-17-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageBlood View Post
...... and I have nothing against strother....
Nothing wrong with being jealous, I don't have one either. "Thall shall not covet" came out way before Strother bows did so it doesn't apply.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:30 PM   #18
J.A.G.

J.A.G. is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to J.A.G.

That is cool that your bow matches your outfit!
Old 03-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
hstubblefield

hstubblefield is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hstubblefield

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.A.G. View Post
That is cool that your bow matches your outfit!
This place is getting as bad as archerytalk know
hstubblefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
RageBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstubblefield View Post
This place is getting as bad as archerytalk know
I'm sorry guys - I really don't want to start anything here. Great forum. Great people from what I've seen so far.

Dale.
Mathews Apex & Apex 7
Old 03-17-2010, 10:02 PM   #21
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Quote:
look up at your web browser:

http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=266530

I know but I had to post it cause I hate bashing and thats all they do on AT anymore. 3D shoots is definatly a great place to bs and learn about bows but not brag so bad that it defends someone. I really love my Hoyts but you will not see me go on here and talk other companies down.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:20 AM   #22
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

I have really been shooting the bow well fellas. It is a very accurate bow. The only reason I mentioned Elite, and compared the two, is because they are both tied very strongly to KS. The SR-71 is his newest design, it is just my favorite bow I've owned to date. Myself, and many past Bowtech and Elite shooters, feel it is his best design to date. I had been shooting and owned a lot of KS designed Bowtechs and Elites in the past. I shoot what ever, and am no fanboy, but I have liked many of his designs. The guy knows how to design bows.

I have a PSE AXE 6 on order, and I really like this bow too. The SR-71 and the AXE 6 are my two favorite speed bows for 2010. We all like different bows, and this is just my opinion. I hope the pain that many of the Elite fanboys are suffering, over KS leaving Elite, heals soon, and people can move on. It is like a painful divorce over on the EAF forum and ANY bow can be discussed over there, EXCEPT for a Strother. Heck, you can't even post pics of one out rabbit hunting or do a quiver review with the quiver on a Strother, without people coming unglued and crying like babies. "Kevin left us; 4 pics of a quiver and rabbit hunting are too much...get out the Kleenex, I need to wipe my tears....Oh Kevin, how did you leave us !!!" Heaven forbid you state that you didn't like the Judge as it had too much handshock, vibe, and was a stiff draw. You are called out on your opinion, guys state that the judge at Crackers shop was sabotaged and out of tune; and yet when you quote a dozen other guys reviews of the Judge that said the same thing..you hear the same old thing,"The judge is great, those guys shot out of tune ones too." LOL...Yea, right.
Meanwhile, Hoyts, Alpines, Mathews, etc....are OK to post pics of and openly discuss on the EAF.
John 3:16 Lifetime NRA Member/Iowa Bow Hunters Association/"Crackerized"Strother SR-71 "Crackerized"PSE AXE 6 UL shelter/stove geek

Last edited by HCH; 03-18-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #23
Brown E

Brown E is on a distinguished road

I guess my question would be, how long will this company be in business? Of course no one knows and I wish them well. But with the number of bow manufactuers coming and going, it is hard to sink $ in.
Brown E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #24
Daniel Boone

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I have really been shooting the bow well fellas. It is a very accurate bow. The only reason I mentioned Elite, and compared the two, is because they are both tied very strongly to KS. The SR-71 is his newest design, it is just my favorite bow I've owned to date. Myself, and many past Bowtech and Elite shooters, feel it is his best design to date. I had been shooting and owned a lot of KS designed Bowtechs and Elites in the past. I shoot what ever, and am no fanboy, but I have liked many of his designs. The guy knows how to design bows.

I have a PSE AXE 6 on order, and I really like this bow too. The SR-71 and the AXE 6 are my two favorite speed bows for 2010. We all like different bows, and this is just my opinion. I hope the pain that many of the Elite fanboys are suffering, over KS leaving Elite, heals soon, and people can move on. It is like a painful divorce over on the EAF forum and ANY bow can be discussed over there, EXCEPT for a Strother. Heck, you can't even post pics of one out rabbit hunting or do a quiver review with the quiver on a Strother, without people coming unglued and crying like babies. "Kevin left us; 4 pics of a quiver and rabbit hunting are too much...get out the Kleenex, I need to wipe my tears....Oh Kevin, how did you leave us !!!" Heaven forbid you state that you didn't like the Judge as it had too much handshock, vibe, and was a stiff draw. You are called out on your opinion, guys state that the judge at Crackers shop was sabotaged and out of tune; and yet when you quote a dozen other guys reviews of the Judge that said the same thing..you hear the same old thing,"The judge is great, those guys shot out of tune ones too." LOL...Yea, right.
Meanwhile, Hoyts, Alpines, Mathews, etc....are OK to post pics of and openly discuss on the EAF.
Seems your the only one mentioning anyone crying! No one crying and Elite forum is doing quite well. Some here see this for what it is and they dont even shoot Elite or Strothers. What will you comment about them. You seem to never mention that Elite bows are not highly accepted on the Strothers forum! Most of us are adult enough to understand your reasoning! Did you ever mention this and call everyone there crybabies at Strothers forum? No tears at Elite and sales have continued to improve there. Will you compare your PSE and Strothers and post on the Strothers forum especially if you like the PSE better, which by the way is a great bow like so many good bows on the market today? Have you tried posting on the Mathews forum?
DB
Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #25
Hoyt1945

Hoyt1945 is on a distinguished road
Default I'm enjoying this debate on a cold rainy Sunday morning.

I have never seen or held a strother or elite bow. They both must be good bows. It all boils down to what you like. I shoot hoyts and I don't think they are better than Mathews, pse, strother or elite. It's just what I like. A different brand of bow has never iimproved my shooting. My brain will only let me shoot so good. Good shooters like xquest can figure out a way to shoot 300 with a broom stick. It is and always will be the shooter that determines how good a bow is, not the bow determining how good the shooter will be.----It's going to be a long day, please continue with the bow bash, I'm enjoying it.
Hoyt1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #26
Daniel Boone

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt1945 View Post
I have never seen or held a strother or elite bow. They both must be good bows. It all boils down to what you like. I shoot hoyts and I don't think they are better than Mathews, pse, strother or elite. It's just what I like. A different brand of bow has never iimproved my shooting. My brain will only let me shoot so good. Good shooters like xquest can figure out a way to shoot 300 with a broom stick. It is and always will be the shooter that determines how good a bow is, not the bow determining how good the shooter will be.----It's going to be a long day, please continue with the bow bash, I'm enjoying it.
One should not compare bows! Plain and simple. Especially when its two different manfactuers and two totally different bows designed for two totally different reasons. I dont bash another brand because often you get beat like a drum from the bow you just bashed Then it becomes quite hard to say that bow isnt any good unless your saying you totally suck and got beat by a bow you bashed and said was not as good. Shoot what works for you! Let others shoot what works for them. Elite/Strothers make good bows and I wish them both well!
DB
DB
Old 03-21-2010, 09:07 AM   #27
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

Oh the drama some people make over Elite/strother. I compared the two as they were are made by the same designer until now. I like his new design better. I reported this. My right to. If you don't like it, ignore my thread and review. Simple.
Now take your kester over to Elite, go complain that Hoyts, Alpines, and Mathews are openly reviewed and discussed on Elites forum. This should not be allowed if Strother pics with a quiver aren't allowed, or rabbit hunting pics.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #28
Daniel Boone

Default Allowed

Quote:
Oh the drama some people make over Elite/strother. I compared the two as they were are made by the same designer until now. I like his new design better. I reported this. My right to. If you don't like it, ignore my thread and review. Simple.
Now take your kester over to Elite, go complain that Hoyts, Alpines, and Mathews are openly reviewed and discussed on Elites forum. This should not be allowed if Strother pics with a quiver aren't allowed, or rabbit hunting pics.

Judge can shoot and shoot quite well. I stated it from the minute I saw the bow and shot it. Not hard to see the specs on a bow and realize why it was designed like it is! Not rocket science and most bows shoot well today. Arrow is past the rest before the archer ever feels a little hand shock. Accuracy can be achieved easily if bow is designed right.

Picture below is 90 meters. I would say the bow shoots quite well. I know some will be winning with the judge this year at several tournaments and I doubt they compare the bow to another bow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNC00024.jpg (146.7 KB, 941 views)
Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #29
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

I forgot to mention another great feature of the new Strother lineup for 2010. A Great shelf. QAD's dropaways don't work well on the Elite line up like this.

General Archery Forum
Old 03-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #30
RageBlood

Quote:
I forgot to mention another great feature of the new Strother lineup for 2010. A Great shelf. QAD's dropaways don't work well on the Elite line up like this.
Could read....

Quote:
I forgot to mention another great feature of the new Strother lineup for 2010. A Great shelf.
And....

If I hadn't already said I wasn't going to post anymore on this thread, I would say that the shelf on the Judge is the same, but, I'm not posting here so forget I mentioned it!!!
Mathews Apex & Apex 7
Old 03-22-2010, 07:50 PM   #31
ozzy

ozzy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Judge can shoot and shoot quite well. I stated it from the minute I saw the bow and shot it. Not hard to see the specs on a bow and realize why it was designed like it is! Not rocket science and most bows shoot well today. Arrow is past the rest before the archer ever feels a little hand shock. Accuracy can be achieved easily if bow is designed right.

Picture below is 90 meters. I would say the bow shoots quite well. I know some will be winning with the judge this year at several tournaments and I doubt they compare the bow to another bow.
DB My math is bad. Is 90 meters = 300feet? Id so that is one bad bow, I still want one as soon as funds are available my way.
Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss
ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:05 PM   #32
Daniel Boone

Default Long distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy View Post
DB My math is bad. Is 90 meters = 300feet? Id so that is one bad bow, I still want one as soon as funds are available my way.
I would say its a long way to shoot groups like that. I think my point that the Judge can shoot will be proved more than a few times this year by several shooters. There talkers and doers. Javier has proved the Judge can shoot.
DB
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 AM   #33
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Quote:
Oh the drama some people make over Elite/strother. I compared the two as they were are made by the same designer until now. ....
I think most over on EAF would deny Strother ever had anything to do with Elite. Some of those guys crack me up.

One day, just one day, I hope that all archers can come together and realize that whatever bow I am shooting at that time is the best and thus everyone should throw theirs in the dump and buy whatever I'm shooting.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #34
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

Quote:
I think most over on EAF would deny Strother ever had anything to do with Elite. Some of those guys crack me up.

One day, just one day, I hope that all archers can come together and realize that whatever bow I am shooting at that time is the best and thus everyone should throw theirs in the dump and buy whatever I'm shooting.

LOL...I like the way you think
Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #35
hutchies

hutchies is on a distinguished road

I've gotta agree with Jame here................Wait did I just say that . If you like your bow fine but don't come in here saying this is why I left Elite. Fact of the matter is you left because you wanted a new bow this year and the Strother fit you better. Does that mean you will shoot it any better than your elite................probably not. Honestly who cares............you like bow and it's nice. Why bash elite other than to be a Strother fanboy. I've shot Mathews for a few years. A friend of mine opened a shop, Plug, plug..............TEXOMABOWHUNTER in Durant, OK..........., and his mainlines are Hoyt and PSE. I'm shooting Hoyt now to support the shop and to tell you the truth I like them.........Oh crap Jame heard that .............anyway all bows today are great shooting bows. Some fit me better than other but I guaruntee one thing there is a bow in every major bow company lineup that I could shoot as well as I am now.

I will say though that I do like how Elite stepped to the plate with the warranty..............that is awesome.
hutchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:17 PM   #36
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

It's just fun to watch the jilted lovers on EAF get excited over my review of the 2 bows. Nothing more. I am a whatever I am shooting fan boy. Can't wait for my new PSE AXE 6 to arrive!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #37
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

There are numerous posts on forums where guys have the same review of the Judge that I experienced. Here is a message I got yesterday from a guy; These types of messages I have had before:

i read your posts about the judge vs strother and have a question for you...
i picked up a judge for 525.00 saturday and finally got to shooting it today.
i have 8 other elites and actually shot a vanquish side by side with the judge.
i have never shot a bow with more jump and noise than the judge!
i have a gt500,gto,e500,synergyxt,envy,aigil and a few other and next to the judge...i really though there was something wrong with it. its in spec but shoots like crap!
i really didnt notice all the noise and vib when i shot it at the sellers house but it was turned down to 63#,shooting a heavier arrow and a different rest.
sorry for the ramble but i guess my question is,did the judge you shot that was set up at crackers have a ton of jump and noise?
thanks for any info..

End of quote.

Last edited by HCH; 03-24-2010 at 05:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #38
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Unless I missed something, this isn't EAF. So who cares what gets them all riled up and why are you trying to get people riled up here?

I personally don't shoot an Elite, Strother, or Bowtech (or any wheel bow for that matter) so I don't have a dog in this fight but just hate seeing someone come in and try to start a fight between fans of two different companies.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #39
HCH
UL Shelter/Stove Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
Unless I missed something, this isn't EAF. So who cares what gets them all riled up and why are you trying to get people riled up here?

I personally don't shoot an Elite, Strother, or Bowtech (or any wheel bow for that matter) so I don't have a dog in this fight but just hate seeing someone come in and try to start a fight between fans of two different companies.
Just a review, nothing more. Shoot them both and decide on your own.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #40
Daniel Boone

Default Judge wins again

Seems Elite shooter shooting his judge won the NW IBO Triple Crown. Open Class

Now I see more and more winning with this bow.

I think its proven to be quite the shooter. Imigine that!

Actually quite a few Elite shooters won this weekend. Paris and Illinois shoot. Seems many are winning quite often with them.
DB