Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 03-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
cleopatra798

cleopatra798 is on a distinguished road
Smile Where can I find equipment on the web?

Hi,
I'm new to the sport. My brother and me are interested in starting practicing archery, but only target shooting not hunting. We are looking for where to buy equipment through the internet. What sites do you guys recommend? I'm also thinking of setting up a target shooting range on my backyard, can you give me any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
cleopatra798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:39 AM   #2
MTColl28734

MTColl28734 is on a distinguished road
Default Web stuff

Do you have access to a Wal-Mart? You can get just about anything you want (except bows) there. As for the Web, eBay has literally anything you'll need, and a bunch of stuff you don't. Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Keystone Archery, Sportsman's Guide and bunches of others have a full range of equipment, also.
MTColl28734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

How about the link at the top of this page that says "Online Archery Equipment"

Really, we run an full retail and online archery store. Here is the link
www.obsessionarchery.com
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
cleopatra798

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
Do you have access to a Wal-Mart? You can get just about anything you want (except bows) there. As for the Web, eBay has literally anything you'll need, and a bunch of stuff you don't. Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Keystone Archery, Sportsman's Guide and bunches of others have a full range of equipment, also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
How about the link at the top of this page that says "Online Archery Equipment"

Really, we run an full retail and online archery store. Here is the link
www.obsessionarchery.com
Thanks for the prompt reply!!!! I will check those out. Do you have any suggestions on how to set a target range on my backyard? Also how do I know what bow size should each of us use?
Old 03-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
cleopatra798

Thanks for the prompt reply!!!! I will check those out. Do you have any suggestions on how should I set up the target shooting range? How do I know what bow size should I buy for my brother and me? Thanks in advance. And sorry for asking so many questions.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #6
MTColl28734

Default Bow "size" and target range.

If by "size" you mean draw weight, and you're just talking about target shooting, I'd say get a bow with a 50-60 draw weight range. I'd also go with a longer bow, around 35" axle-to-axle (maybe a little shorter for you).

As for a target range, how much land do you have? If you can go out to 40 yards, great, as long as there's no danger to anybody or anything beyond that. If necessary, buy 10 or 12 hay bales from somebody and stack them behind your target. For your target, you have basically two kinds: bags or blocks. Bags tend to be heavier and probably won't last as long, but they're a bit cheaper and arrows are easier to remove. I paid about $50 for my bag and it took me two years of pretty heavy shooting to wear mine out. Do NOT get the really cheap ($20 or so) styrofoam blocks that you see at Wal-Mart and elsewhere; you'll have little white chunks all over the place within a month or two.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
cleopatra798

MTColl, thanks for the prompt answer. I checked out my backyard and I can easily fit a 30 - 40 yards. So I can set up the target range suggestion you gave me. Is there any way I can know for sure what measurement should the bow be? I read somewhere that if a person puts his or her hands together and you measure from the shoulder to the tip of the middle finger you get the measurement for the bow length. Is that true? Also for now I really like the Mohegan Recurve Bow by Greatree Archery. Is this a good bow for beginners? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 AM   #8
MTColl28734

Default Draw length

Stand with your arms spread. Measure the distance between the tips of your second (the "bird") fingers. Subtract 15, divide by 2.

I don't know much about Mohegan Bows, but the price is certainly right. Not knowing anything about you two (age, height, weight, etc.), I wouldn't dare recommend a particular size or draw weight. You might try calling somebody like 3 Rivers Archery, 1-866-587-9501, and asking them.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
cleopatra798

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTColl28734 View Post
Stand with your arms spread. Measure the distance between the tips of your second (the "bird") fingers. Subtract 15, divide by 2.

I don't know much about Mohegan Bows, but the price is certainly right. Not knowing anything about you two (age, height, weight, etc.), I wouldn't dare recommend a particular size or draw weight. You might try calling somebody like 3 Rivers Archery, 1-866-587-9501, and asking them.
MTColl, thanks for the info. I will call 3 Rivers and ask for advice. My brother is 11 years old, weights about 115 pounds and is about 5' tall. I'm 23 years old, weight about 155 pounds and 5'9'. But I read that being a woman the draw weight changes. Any suggestions will be really appreciated.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road
Default Draw weight

For your brother, assuming a compound, a 40# bow that can be turned down to about 30 will probably be good. As far as for you it really depends. Being a woman does not necessarily mean that you need less draw weight, though that is a good general rule of thumb. My wife shoots a recurve with about 45# of weight (very high for a recurve even among men). You might consider a 50# turned down to 40 or 35, but in the end it depends upon how much weight you are willing to hold. When you talk to 3 Rivers check to see how far the bows that you are looking at can be turned down in reference to poundage. Also remember that you need string clearance. With most compounds (especially short axle to axle length models) you should be fine, but with some and especially with recurves you need to worry about certain parts of the female anatomy getting caught. According to my wife it is not fun (sometimes funny to those watching but...).

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #11
cleopatra798

Thanks a lot for the reply. I checked out with 3Rivers and they told me that we should buy a 62'' 36#@28''. I have been looking around and I noticed the many different types of arrows available. Our plan is to practice bullseye target shooting. I have seen that there are fiberglass, carbon, wood among others. What arrows do you recommend? Also they're available in many sizes, which size do you recommend? 30"? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #12
MTColl28734

Default Good advice

I think that 3 Rivers is probably right. A longer bow is more stable in your hand, and 36 pounds is plenty for target shooting.

As for arrows, I shoot carbons, which I think are tougher and stay straight forever. They can be a lot more expensive, but you can get 'em for $5 apiece at Wal-Mart and a lot of other places. Wood's beautiful and "authentic" (especially with feathers) but they'll warp on you over time and they break easier than anything else. Aluminum is fine, but they can get pricey and they'll bend if they hit something other than your target; a glancing hit on a tree, for example. Fiberglass arrows, I'm told, will hold their straightness well, but they're pretty easy to break, too.

Any arrows but wood need to be cut with a special saw, so if you order on the internet, specify the length you want and most places will cut them for you.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Too Many Hobbies

Too Many Hobbies is on a distinguished road

DON'T SHOOT WOOD OUT OF A COMPOUND. You will end up with wood in your arm after an arrow explodes. I am a huge fan of carbon (especially for new archers) because of the durability. Shoot it into a tree or something and as long as there arn't any fibers hanging out it is still good to shoot. Gold Tip, Carbon Express, Easton, Beman (sp), and any number of other manufacterers make great arros.

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document
Too Many Hobbies is offline   Reply With Quote