Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-14-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
bl3

bl3 is on a distinguished road
Default Wow These Compounds are FAST !!!

Hi Everyone,

New member here. I have always shot longbows and at 32 years old just received a compound from my wife as a present for my birthday. The bow has a rest but that is it, I need to buy everything else. Here is what I need:

Sight
Stabalizer
Release
Quiver

If I left anything out please let me know. The bow seems pretty nice, but I am very new so I am searching these forums like crazy to find out as much information and am researching all the accesories to see what fits my new bow the best.

If you have anything for sale please let me know. I will be using it mainly for hunting...

Thanks
bl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #2
gamoboy

gamoboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gamoboy Send a message via Skype™ to gamoboy

to the forum. most of your set up will depend on how much you are wanting to spend. if it just for hunting get a set of limbsaver quads, string leeches and stabilizer. this set of limbsavers is about 40 bucks. any 3 to 5 pin sight will work well. i would consider spott hogg, copper johns, or tru glo. the are reasonably priced. arrows are a big purchase. can you give us a little information on what bow you have and what your dl and dw is? on the release you cant go wrong with a Scott release or a carter. they will last a life time. a good cheap quiver would be a kwikee kwiver. lots of guys use them, i use one also. you can look on Archery Talk and find good deals on everything. if you have any more questions ask away. lots of top notch people on here willing to help out
CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
Trophy Taker Pronghorn

Last edited by gamoboy; 03-14-2010 at 10:03 PM.
gamoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
bl3

bl3 is on a distinguished road

The draw weight is 60 lbs with 80% letoff. I believe it is a Diamond/Bowtech Admiral. I was told today I have a 29" draw. I will be Deer, Turkey, Grouse, Squirl hunting. And the occasional outdoor 3-D shoots. And I am looking for used stuff so I can spend as little at possible. Any help would be great...
bl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 PM   #4
J.Blay

J.Blay is on a distinguished road

This is my favorite place for archery online chat, and I've learned a great deal here, but it doesn't replace first hand experience. I would suggest finding some 3D shoots within traveling distance and go as a spectator. Most archers I've met are eager to talk about their sport. Bring your bow, someone may want to see it. Some of them will also be hunters. If you have a local pro shop you may want to stop in there. Many pro shops have friendly, helpful staff willing to answer questions. Ask to shoot some of their bows. After you figure out what to use, they can tune your bow for you. I only shoot 3D for fun and practice. I use the same set up for hunting as I do for 3D, except the quiver. The guy that sold me my first compound bow became my friend and shooting partner. Here's what I use on my Hoyt Vectrix; Limbdriver rest, Limbsaver stabilizer and Alpha Shocks, Copper John Widowmaker sight, 3 arrow Kwikie Kwiver, Truball Pro Diamond release, Victory Vforce HV 350 arrows, Rage 2 blade broadheads, and Bucknasty string and cables. Have fun, I do.
J.Blay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
gamoboy

there are hundreds of choices on used equipment. check out the classifieds on here, archery talk and ebay. you dont need the most expensive stuff out there to have fun, but dont skimp on stuff either. if you buy a $16 dollar cobra sight, trust me you arent going to be happy. i had a spott hogg bare bones and it did the job for 2 years. brand new they are about 50 bucks. the limbsaver package mentioned before is a great deal. kwikee kwivers run about 30 i think. some times you can find good deals on arrows. but look forward to spend 50 to 100 bucks on a dozen arrows. a .400 spine arrow should work for your set up. a good release will run about 75. im assuming you will want to shoot a wrist strap style release.
Trophy Taker Pronghorn
Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 AM   #6
gamoboy

also if you dont mind telling us where your located im sure we could find someone close to you that is willing to help you out with anything you might need.
Trophy Taker Pronghorn