Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 03-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #1
Hoyt1945

Hoyt1945 is on a distinguished road
Default What happend to Dave Cousins at the nationals

I was looking at the results from the Indoor nationals and noticed Cousins had a horrible two days. He missed the x ring 6 times which is the same size as the 10 ring on the vegas face.---In vegas he only missed the baby x ring 6 times out of 90 arrows. What gives? I bet he had a long ride back home.---When you are in that league, you know when you drop one arrow, it's over. Must be a lot of pressure. I hope Dave gets his problems worked out.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

Any athlete can have a bad showing. It might be something that the rest of us wouldn't even notice, but Dave shoots at such a high level, that any little thing is much more noticeable. It's been said many times before, indoor spots is a game of perfect and if you're not, then you won't be in the shoot off.

I wonder if this will get him to switch over to one of Hoyt's longer ATA bows.

Dave is a great archer and I'm sure that he will be back in the shoot offs for years to come.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

He was shooting 3-39's and just missed the line for a 5... after that realizing it was over he went to having fun... even went to shooting all 5 at a single spot for a while... The miss was so close that it was a tight call..

Don't read anything more into it than that..
Old 03-22-2010, 08:29 AM   #4
Hoyt1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen View Post
Any athlete can have a bad showing. It might be something that the rest of us wouldn't even notice, but Dave shoots at such a high level, that any little thing is much more noticeable. It's been said many times before, indoor spots is a game of perfect and if you're not, then you won't be in the shoot off.

I wonder if this will get him to switch over to one of Hoyt's longer ATA bows.

Dave is a great archer and I'm sure that he will be back in the shoot offs for years to come.
I thought the same thing; I bet he puts the hunting bows aside and goes back to the longer bows.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
okarcher
Bow In Hand!

okarcher is on a distinguished road

You have guys shooting 40+ inch bows missing the X. I know longer ata bows are more forgiving but at 20yds how forgiving does a bow have to be and really how much difference can there be with a bow at 20yds. Dave has been shooting the maxis great and he has a so called bad outing and all of a sudden its the bow. Its the shooter when you know the bow is tunned and on. You could say what happened to Nathan or Chance was it their bows too. Them guys are great shooters too, sometimes you have a few brain farts and it cost you.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Hoyt1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by okarcher View Post
You have guys shooting 40+ inch bows missing the X. I know longer ata bows are more forgiving but at 20yds how forgiving does a bow have to be and really how much difference can there be with a bow at 20yds. Dave has been shooting the maxis great and he has a so called bad outing and all of a sudden its the bow. Its the shooter when you know the bow is tunned and on. You could say what happened to Nathan or Chance was it their bows too. Them guys are great shooters too, sometimes you have a few brain farts and it cost you.
You're probably right. Just trying to get a little dialog going on a Monday morning. To me, the twenty yard game is all about aiming. Just keep aiming until the darn thing fires.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Nationals

Hopkins didnt have the best tournament as well. Dropped three X.s the first day.

It happens to us all eventually. Good to see some of the top guns have there bad days as well.
DB

Im just shocked only six shot back to back 60X's
DB
Old 03-22-2010, 10:38 AM   #8
mrpibb

mrpibb is on a distinguished road

Some day's you're the windsheild.... Some day's you're the BUG !!!
mrpibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
Sagittarius

Sagittarius is on a distinguished road

If Dave drops an X early on, he usually always does let up some.
I've seen him do it several times over the years.
Hell, if it were me, I would want to pack it up and go home as soon as I dropped one , if not for pissing my sponsors off.
Sure, I know, not the best thing to do sportsmanship wise but why go on when you no longer have a chance to win.
As an amature I would stay to gain experience.
I always think of Ben Cross's quote where he protrayed Olympic runner Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire. "If I can't win, I won't run"
I have never forgotten that statement even though it was a movie and believe it it totally !
Sagittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Daniel Boone

Default Good sportsmanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
If Dave drops an X early on, he usually always does let up some.
I've seen him do it several times over the years.
Hell, if it were me, I would want to pack it up and go home as soon as I dropped one , if not for pissing my sponsors off.
Sure, I know, not the best thing to do sportsmanship wise but why go on when you no longer have a chance to win.
As an amature I would stay to gain experience.
I always think of Ben Cross's quote where he protrayed Olympic runner Harold Abrahams in Chariots of Fire. "If I can't win, I won't run"
I have never forgotten that statement even though it was a movie and believe it it totally !
Honestly not finishing isnt the right thing to do. Especially if there youth watching certian pros. Set an example. Shoot the Pro am that Saturday evening and give an amatuer a chance to learn a few things. Helps the sport grow.
DB
DB
Old 03-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Sagittarius

Sagittarius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
Honestly not finishing isnt the right thing to do. Especially if there youth watching certian pros. Set an example. Shoot the Pro am that Saturday evening and give an amatuer a chance to learn a few things. Helps the sport grow.
DB
DB
I agree with you , Dan but...
It sure is a downer when you realize early on in a spot tournament that you have nothing to shoot for.
You don't have a snowball's chance in to make a comeback when you're down in an archery spot tournament, unlike most other sports.
That's why 3-D is actually much more exciting as you can go for broke and take a chance by shooting at the higher scoring rings in an attempt to gain ground when you're down.
Sagittarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #12
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

I am curious why no one ever commented about one of the pro's walking off the line the second day at Vegas after shooting a couple 9's.
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
I am curious why no one ever commented about one of the pro's walking off the line the second day at Vegas after shooting a couple 9's.
My understanding was that there were equipment issues..
Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #14
Daniel Boone

Default It Happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
My understanding was that there were equipment issues..
I would walk away on day two if equipment failed.
DB
Old 03-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #15
JAVI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boone View Post
I would walk away on day two if equipment failed.
DB
He got it fixed and shot day 3 even though he was out of the running..
Old 03-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Huntelk

Huntelk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
He got it fixed and shot day 3 even though he was out of the running..
That was a good thing to do for sure. I am all for finishing what you start, even when you have no hope of winning.

Now if you are Carl Edwards and come back on the track 10 laps down just to put someone into the wall....
Huntelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #17
ruttinbuck
James Drouillard

ruttinbuck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntelk View Post
Who was that? I didn't hear anything about it.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #18
foamkiller

foamkiller is on a distinguished road

Even though I am not a big Cuz fan it must be incredibly hard to perform at that level all the time. We amateurs have a good day and think we can shoot with the Pros but then comes the back to reality day and well we find out real quick why they are Pros and we are Joes. Hats off to all those guys for performing like they do shoot in and shoot out.
foamkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #19
jim p

jim p is on a distinguished road

I would think that any kind of giving up attitude in a tournament situation would lead to problems down the road. I think that he just got target panic or a bug flew in his eye or he was seeing dots.
jim p is offline   Reply With Quote