Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Clubhouse Lounge > Offtopic

Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
jim p.
jim

jim p. is on a distinguished road
Default What are your thoughts

on the oil in the gulf ? I'm concerned with "are we going to be able to stop it - and can we honestly clean it up" ??? I just don't know
jim p. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Devine Shot

Devine Shot is on a distinguished road

Stopping it will be tough. It may take some time but mother nature will take care of herself. Oil is always being leaked into the ocean through natural causes, obviously not this amount but it will be ok long term if we do get it stopped. The sad part is for a few years there will be alot of good working Americans put out of work that is the sad part. Just hope they can make it through the tough times. Very unfortuanute situation but I hear a lot of people getting mad and not much we can do but let the people who know what they are doing try and fix it.
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I want to know, why isn't there a plan for this and the equipment on hand to handle this problem? We have to have a written plan for even the smallest spill in the shop and the stuff needed to handle a small to a very large spill.

Why isn't there a emergency plan inplace for this?

I'm also tired of hearing how BP is going to pay all clean up cost.....who they kiddin, there going to pass it all on to us.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #4
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

There is a written plan, and the resouces to contain the spill. However, the current administration chose not to follow the plan or utilize the resources saying it was BP's responsibility, but they were in charge from day one.

I'm wondering why they haven't put about 500 pounds of C-4 down on the hole and blown it to collapse everything back into the hole. There has to be a good reason, but I can't think of it.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
jim p.
jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
There is a written plan, and the resouces to contain the spill. However, the current administration chose not to follow the plan or utilize the resources saying it was BP's responsibility, but they were in charge from day one.

I'm wondering why they haven't put about 500 pounds of C-4 down on the hole and blown it to collapse everything back into the hole. There has to be a good reason, but I can't think of it.

With the constant playground mentality I see being demonstrated by all parties I have to wonder. We are destroying ourselves from within, no need to worry about foreign powers.

With your background you feel the C - 4 would stop it ?
Old 05-30-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
pred8er

C-4 has been used to extinguish well fires and cap wells on the surface for years (or TNT or some other explosive, C-4 just hold up in saltwater better).

It could be used to blast out the well to stop the oil flow momentarily and a cratering charge of blackpower type explosive that is used for cratering could be detonated just after to push earth down the hole. Do I think it will work? It has worked in the past but not this deep and nothing is ever garranteed. If it didn't work, we might have to worry about an even bigger hole to plug.

I think the drillers mud didn't work because they are trying to pump it down a flowing well. You would have to dump tons down all at once to get it to work right and not be carried right out by the oil flow.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
jim p.
jim

I appreciate your take on this pred8er - other than watching the Duke put out oil rig fires I know nothing about explosives.
This is bad, it's a damn shame it was allowed to happen. Now they say August.
Don't you think our Navy has something they can use at this depth ? Hell, we can put a man on the moon and fix things in space. Someone somewhere has to have the answer .............
Old 05-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

I think it was just done to put more americans out of work. Higher powers here need this country to go under.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Wink Here's what I think !

There is an unknown plot by those who hold the power to make the gulf just one large holding tank for all that oil , as it would be easier to just hose it off the ocean sea , lucky us !

I dreamed this all in my sleep last night !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #10
pred8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
I appreciate your take on this pred8er - other than watching the Duke put out oil rig fires I know nothing about explosives.
This is bad, it's a damn shame it was allowed to happen. Now they say August.
Don't you think our Navy has something they can use at this depth ? Hell, we can put a man on the moon and fix things in space. Someone somewhere has to have the answer .............
Actually, the commercial diving field is much better equipped to handle these depths. The Navy limits us to 300' for surface supplied diving and 1300 for saturation diving. The last open water saturation dive conducted by the Navy that was even close to that deep was mid-70's.

We're talking 5280' here, it has to be all Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV's). We have the explosives if that's the route they want to go.

Here's another thought.....Why not sink an oversized pipe over the old broken one. It can go down 1/2 to a full mile since the oil is 3 miles under the earth (that's after the 1 mile of water). The new pipe could have a valve on it and be hooked directly to a pumping derek. It would be similiar to tapping a new well but there would be one pipe (the broken one) inside another pipe.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
pred8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
I think it was just done to put more americans out of work. Higher powers here need this country to go under.
This may actually create more new jobs.....all o' dem guberment. More tax dollars down the drain.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:50 AM   #12
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

At this point, there seems to be only two methods of relief since all else has failed.

1) the well peters out on her own

2) the relief well hits the same vein and starts production (essentially taking the pressure off the well with the busted BOP.

My thoughts: Lets ban drilling in fresh water. Heck, in the long run, maybe we are better off buying oil from the Saudis since our people don't seem to know what they are doing.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #13
pred8er

One accident shouldn't mean the death of the industry. You know how many people are employed in the oil fields?

Mexico had this same problem back in the 80's, how did they handle it? I just heard today that there's a country over in Africa that is constantly leaking more oil then whats been spilled. Not that it makes what is happening in the Gulf OK.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
This may actually create more new jobs.....all o' dem guberment. More tax dollars down the drain.
I am sad to say you are probably correct. Duh guberment is gonna take care of us all.......pun intended.

"HONDA"
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM   #15
pred8er

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
I am sad to say you are probably correct. Duh guberment is gonna take care of us all.......pun intended.
Have you heard the term B.O.H.I.C.A.?

Old 06-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #16
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

Quote:
Have you heard the term B.O.H.I.C.A.?
Yes, and it truly fits our situation. Without lubricant.......

"HONDA"
Old 06-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Unhappy A little known fact !

B P says don't worry ,they're going to take care of it ,right after they get all their money in a safe secured place !
Old 06-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

I just think of all that oil that has pretty much went to waste. I could have retired easily on what has spilled as of today alone.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #19
jim p.
jim

WHY haven't they had tankers skimming ??? Wouldn't it help with the amount of oil that would eventually make landfall ??? This is a freaking nightmare
Old 06-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Unhappy You got that right !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim p. View Post
WHY haven't they had tankers skimming ??? Wouldn't it help with the amount of oil that would eventually make landfall ??? This is a freaking nightmare
You are thinking right !