Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 PM   #1
dodgensince74

Default The Knock and the String ?

I am wondering which way you guys adjust the tightness of the knock on the string. I felt like my knocks were too tight, so I just got out the trusty old sand paper and went at it on the knocks till I could knock them off with the flick of my finger. I got my new arrows and want to get the knocks to fit right on my string so I would like to find out what method is recommended by most, thanks for the help.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:41 PM   #2
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

I ain't never did anything to mine just shot em. That sounds very innovative though. Let us know how they shoot and hold up. Holy Smokes

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

ummm ive never done anything to mine.... you dont want it to come off to easy, ive seen guys with tight string loops that put a little pressure on the nock during draw, and the arrow falls off the string....
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:36 PM   #4
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Never touched mine either. Never really thought about it to tell the truth.

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
goldflinger

goldflinger is on a distinguished road

I've tried prying the nock apart a little bit. Never seem to make any difference.
goldflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife is on a distinguished road
Default Knock fit

I've always heard that your knock should be tight enough for the arrow to hang down off the string and come loose with a small tap on the string. Sounds like you got em just right. I use a small screwdriver and spread mine as necessary. I think it does make a small difference in elevation grouping
Moneymaker NI
Hkdfrlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #7
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
felt like my knocks were too tight, so I just got out the trusty old sand paper and went at it on the knocks till I could knock them off with the flick of my finger
Please don't shoot the messenger but this is bad, bad, bad! The nock end is more important that the overall straightness of the arrow in my opinion. If the nock is not perfect or uniform, it will not fly the same as the other arrows. By sanding you have most likely destroyed the uniformity.

I have shot arrows out of my hooter shooter that would not group with the batch at all. At 20 yards they were off by 4 inches. We pulled the nock and replaced it and they arrows shot in the same group as the rest.
We have duplicated this test numerous times.

If you have tested the arrows after sanding and they fly ok, then fine. I would just change the serving to a little smaller material if the nock fit is not right.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #8
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

Listen to Chris. Most likely smaller serving is what you need. It comes in several different diameters measure in thousandths of an inch (.017, .021, .026).

By sanding you got the right fit by the sounds of things so that's what you're shooting for. But, as he mentioned, they are not uniform. You're human.

And make no mistake about it. Nock fit to the string can be much more important than people realize. I work with mine till I get the fit I want. Mine snap n very lightly and are actually just a bit loose when in place.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
dodgensince74

thanks everyone, I just got my new arrows and I am going to check thier fit. I will have to get the smaller serving if I have to so that way there will not be any more sanding.
I can't believe that I got 7 replys and 46 views in 2 days, I posted this same question on another site and only had 25 views and 0 replys and I posted it on there almost 2 weeks ago.
Now I know where to come for advice, thanks again guys.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #10
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Please don't shoot the messenger but this is bad, bad, bad! The nock end is more important that the overall straightness of the arrow in my opinion. If the nock is not perfect or uniform, it will not fly the same as the other arrows. By sanding you have most likely destroyed the uniformity.

I have shot arrows out of my hooter shooter that would not group with the batch at all. At 20 yards they were off by 4 inches. We pulled the nock and replaced it and they arrows shot in the same group as the rest.
We have duplicated this test numerous times.

If you have tested the arrows after sanding and they fly ok, then fine. I would just change the serving to a little smaller material if the nock fit is not right.
not to argue but thats great changing the serving out if you know how to do this and have the proper tools to do this.....and to have a shop change out the serving on your brand new bow/string.....may not be the answer....

if you know how to change the serving on your bow then great but what about the other guys???
Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWMAN View Post
not to argue but thats great changing the serving out if you know how to do this and have the proper tools to do this.....and to have a shop change out the serving on your brand new bow/string.....may not be the answer....

if you know how to change the serving on your bow then great but what about the other guys???
Learn how to do it...I did

Old 11-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #12
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
Learn how to do it...I did
I do I was speaking of the people that do not no how.....and what about the youngsters? they deserve as nice working equipment as us.....
Old 11-30-2006, 06:56 PM   #13
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
I do I was speaking of the people that do not no how.....and what about the youngsters? they deserve as nice working equipment as us.....
You are right oh wise one...we need to teach the youngsters the ancient ways, so they will not forget from wence they come....

But seriously...I think every archer should know the basics of bow maintainence...and serving is one of them...it's not difficult and you really don't need special tools.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:01 PM   #14
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
You are right oh wise one...we need to teach the youngsters the ancient ways, so they will not forget from wence they come....

But seriously...I think every archer should know the basics of bow maintainence...and serving is one of them...it's not difficult and you really don't need special tools.
I dont know about your bows but I have always found it alot easier in a press to change your serveing.....
Old 11-30-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
I dont know about your bows but I have always found it alot easier in a press to change your serveing.....
Oh it is easier...but not a necessity...

Old 11-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #16
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

I'll side with brokenarrow on this one. By the way Bowman, obviously we've been around the bowstring a while now. Just how did you learn to reserve a string and do other maintenance? If anything like me it was like eating dinner----dig in.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #17
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I'll side with brokenarrow on this one. By the way Bowman, obviously we've been around the bowstring a while now. Just how did you learn to reserve a string and do other maintenance? If anything like me it was like eating dinner----dig in.
That's the only way I know how to learn anything....

Old 12-02-2006, 06:11 PM   #18
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

I had a couple of great teachers and top of the line equipment to use......the normal person may not.....

Last edited by BUNNYMAN; 12-02-2006 at 06:30 PM.
BUNNYMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #19
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
I hada couple of great teachersand top of the line equipment to use......the normal person may not.....
Who you callin' NORMAL??!!??

Old 12-02-2006, 06:32 PM   #20
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Who you callin' NORMAL??!!??
back off slick....your as abnormal as they come....I was speaking of the younger people or people who just started.....

you taught your self how to reserve your string w/no help from ANYONE OR ANYTHING??? no person or manuel or instruction sheet or web site.....thusly and so on......
Old 12-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #21
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

No...I read a very good article on Apple Archery's site...I never claimed to be GIFTED...
http://www.applearchery.com/stringserving.htm

It was very informative...

Old 12-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #22
Allen

Allen is on a distinguished road

I learned it from Larry Wise's video that he made for Apple.

Reserving is too easy to learn. It's something that every archer should know how to do.

In fact, that's a good tread idea.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 AM   #23
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

I have been wanting to learn how to serve my own strings for a while now. I have every intention to learn, I am just waiting for the bow press that I think my wife is getting me for Christmas to come. She has been acting alittle wierd about the subject for a couple of weeks

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 AM   #24
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I have been wanting to learn how to serve my own strings for a while now. I have every intention to learn, I am just waiting for the bow press that I think my wife is getting me for Christmas to come. She has been acting alittle wierd about the subject for a couple of weeks
shes only getting it so you will stay home more and not spend so much time at the bow shop....im supprised mine has not got me one yet for that reason.....
Old 12-03-2006, 08:08 AM   #25
Radar
Story of my life

Radar will become famous soon enough

I really don't care I will still go there, I just want the press, and it is killing me. I am probably getting myself all worked up for nothing and wont get it then I will be like a 6 yr old on Christmas on here crying to you guys

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade
Radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #26
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I really don't care I will still go there, I just want the press, and it is killing me. I am probably getting myself all worked up for nothing and wont get it then I will be like a 6 yr old on Christmas on here crying to you guys
Okay, but before you come here and cry to us make sure you throw yourself on the floor kickin' and screamin'...then mope around the house poutin' for a while...you may get the press works for my buddies kids...

Ya gotta know how to play the game...

Old 12-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #27
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Okay, but before you come here and cry to us make sure you throw yourself on the floor kickin' and screamin'...then mope around the house poutin' for a while...you may get the press works for my buddies kids...

Ya gotta know how to play the game...
my 18 month old does that if she wants a cookie and you wont give it to her.....
Old 12-05-2006, 07:46 AM   #28
longcut36

longcut36 has a spectacular aura aboutlongcut36 has a spectacular aura about

listen to Chris. the nock is and important part of bow tunning. i have my arrows numbered, if one starts going out of the spot i change the nock. most times this will fix it. i would Rather have it on the loose side than to tight. you can always use the duct tape of the archery 'dental floss' to build it up untill it fits right.
longcut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:49 PM   #29
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
listen to Chris. the nock is and important part of bow tunning. i have my arrows numbered, if one starts going out of the spot i change the nock. most times this will fix it. i would Rather have it on the loose side than to tight. you can always use the duct tape of the archery 'dental floss' to build it up untill it fits right.
funny but true.....