Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 12-01-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
Dredly
Site Guru

Dredly will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Dredly
Default Hooray for the army of orange!

Looks like, as usual, our fellow rifle hunters are doing us proud yet again!

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...NEWS/612010319

(thats about 6 miles from my house, 10 mins by road)

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc...ORTS/611300332

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/poli...,3957658.story

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...,1069638.story

and the season opened on Monday. I give it another 2 years before PA goes shotgun only. bleh I hate rifle season

Oh and how could I have forgotten this gem! http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-...,2475512.story (granted the shooting was last year but ehh well...)

Last edited by Dredly; 12-01-2006 at 09:34 AM.
Dredly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
Ronhop
RIP

Ronhop is on a distinguished road

Yeah, we have some of that similar BS around here too. Fortunately most of the land owners know most of the people in town and only give permission to bow hunt their property. That's great for people like me since this area has a small percentage of bowhunters vs shotgunners. The shotgunners mostly hunt on their own land so if they shoot a dog it could very well be their own.

I was talking to a gentleman yesterday at Farm and Fleet and he asked me if I hunt (had my Scentlok hat on) and I said, yes, bow only. He then begain to give me grief over the fact that one of our own put an arrow into the sidewall of a brand new tire on one of his tractors. Tires !?!?!? I cannot imagine a tire looking like a deer.

The upshot is that people with bows can be stupid too...

Ron
Ronhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhop View Post
Yeah, we have some of that similar BS around here too. Fortunately most of the land owners know most of the people in town and only give permission to bow hunt their property. That's great for people like me since this area has a small percentage of bowhunters vs shotgunners. The shotgunners mostly hunt on their own land so if they shoot a dog it could very well be their own.

I was talking to a gentleman yesterday at Farm and Fleet and he asked me if I hunt (had my Scentlok hat on) and I said, yes, bow only. He then begain to give me grief over the fact that one of our own put an arrow into the sidewall of a brand new tire on one of his tractors. Tires !?!?!? I cannot imagine a tire looking like a deer.

The upshot is that people with bows can be stupid too...

Ron
Yeah I've heard similar things around here with bows too... but they are typically very few and far between. Unlike the rifle issues which happen EVERY year
Old 12-01-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
Yeah I've heard similar things around here with bows too... but they are typically very few and far between. Unlike the rifle issues which happen EVERY year
we had a guy a few years ago loading his gun in his truck .....the gun went off and the bullet shot thru the floor board into his wheel too a spin around the rim and exited the hole in went in back thru the floor board and just missed his forehead before lodging in the roof.....it was just like something on jackass ( the tv show).......
Old 12-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Ronhop
RIP

Yeah, Dredly your, right. But the picture is really gray and not black and white.

This is an intersting issue/problem that affects all of us who hunt. I think it makes sense to talk the issue through because stupidity with either bow or firearm affect our ability to have our freedom to hunt.

Part of the issue is, and one I think about, that there are far fewer of us than shotgunners combined with the fact that we seem to be much more passionate about the sport of archery than hunting. I just love the sport of archery. Do the firearms folks really love firearms as a sport or do they just want to kill something ? I have no clue but the pattern seems to be the latter, based on the media we are exposed to and some of the friends I have... The shotgunners, as much as they are passionate about their sport of hunting, seem as a group to be fueled more from testosterone than a passion for the sport of shooting a firearm. That may be because, at least in Illinois, they get to shoot 7 days a year as opposed to the multitude of days/weeks/months we get.

I have a lot of friends that don't give a hoot about a bow and arrow 'playing' person. In fact I get grief from some people who think that guns are the way to go and we're just sucking air. Ever take a deer with a 20ga slug ? Heck, that's pretty damn simple... They want guns and that's all they know but that don't make them stupid though. It's a law of averages. Say 10% of the people firing a gun or bow are stupid. Which simply means that there are more people with guns looking stupid than people with "Bows and Arrows" looking stupid...

Anyway, like I said, I think this topic is interesting and deserves a good conversation. I just hated being profiled yesterday as being stupid because a bow and arrow guy.gal arrowed a $1500 trqactor tire. That made me feel like cr*p. I would certainly never do that nor would I ever shoot a dog unless I thought it was going to rip my face off.

Let's hear some posts on this. I think it's an important topic to those of us who hunt. Anyone who does the firearm thing please post too.

Yeah, Bowman, I liked your story too. This past Summer I pulled an arrow out of a target and put the nock end into my right calf, vanes and all. Stupid ? I would say so...

Ron

Last edited by Ronhop; 12-01-2006 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. is on a distinguished road

i personaly love hunting with a gun, not becuase i get more range but becuase i love guns themselves, when im not shooting my bow during the summer im working up new rifle and shotgun loads, just like most of you guys who are always doing sumthing to your bows to get better groups, us gun shooters love to do the same with our guns. so there deffenatly is a similarity. i dont think its fair to profile all gun hunters as dangerous people becuase most of us arnt, the only bad things you hear about are the ones made by the dangerous and irisponsible hunters. lets just face it, weather its with a bow or a gun, some people are just to stupid to relize right from wrong.
Copper John Dead Nuts
Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

People Eating Tasty Animals

Remember, a Diamond lasts forever!
diamond-vic. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:29 AM   #7
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond-vic. View Post
i personaly love hunting with a gun, not becuase i get more range but becuase i love guns themselves, when im not shooting my bow during the summer im working up new rifle and shotgun loads, just like most of you guys who are always doing sumthing to your bows to get better groups, us gun shooters love to do the same with our guns. so there deffenatly is a similarity. i dont think its fair to profile all gun hunters as dangerous people becuase most of us arnt, the only bad things you hear about are the ones made by the dangerous and irisponsible hunters. lets just face it, weather its with a bow or a gun, some people are just to stupid to relize right from wrong.
I didn't say I wasn't a gun shooter. I have quite a few guns and love shooting them, I just don't like rifle season. Here are some GREAT reasons why.

1. People storm my spots that I have watched for a while, they haven't been out in the woods in a year (since last season)

2. I have to wear orange, I hate wearing orange

3. The "Its brown its down" mentality is pretty annoying. I admit at this point in my area it has fully extended into my archery season as well.. there is no point in letting that 6 pointer go... he isn't going to see xmas anyway!

4. the huge massive forced drives that are put on frustrate me. I'm okay with 2 or 3 people walking through the woods to kick something up but come on. there are drives around here with well over 20 people.

5. The fact that you don't even need to go to hunter safety classes. Just go into Walmart and say "I lost my old license" and they will give you one. YES it works, a buddy of mine that I got hunting this year did it.

6. WAY to noisey! Give me a grunt, a twang, a snort and some running... this loud bang is annoying.

And then all the usual stupid stuff comes in, dogs being shot, people being shot, property being shot, tresspassing, deer being stolen/reshot... overall its just a depressing time of year... Noone seperates hunting from Archery hunting.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #8
diamond-vic.

i agree, the massive drives of 20 people are very annoying, this year i had a group of about 15 guys come to my door and asked if they could drive on my land, they got a slammed door on their face. and yes, "the brown its down" mentality is pretty bad also, i personaly wont shoot a deer that is only a spike or any small deer for that matter. some people just dont deserve guns, i think we can both agree on that.
Copper John Dead Nuts
Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:24 AM   #9
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

In my area we get alot of guys out of NYC... They only see trees for 2 weeks out of the year so there are quite a few "accidents" and I use the term lightly...They don't know the area or the changes to the area since last year (houses, new roads, town parks, etc...)

We had a guy shoot himself in the hand opening day taking his gun off his 4 wheeler...
Last year we had a guy shoot his uncle (DEAD) 1 Hr after dark...The newspaper made it sound like the uncle was at fault for not wearing enough orange ( he had a hat)

Also last year we had a guy shoot himself in his stand w/ a handgun during bow season (we can't have firearms w/ us during bowseason). Seems he got in the stand...took out his auto-pistol...hung it on a hook by the trigger guard...it discharged, spun around, and fired til the mag was empty hitting him twice (I think it was only twice)...He lived btw.

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
Dredly
Site Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post

Also last year we had a guy shoot himself in his stand w/ a handgun during bow season (we can't have firearms w/ us during bowseason). Seems he got in the stand...took out his auto-pistol...hung it on a hook by the trigger guard...it discharged, spun around, and fired til the mag was empty hitting him twice (I think it was only twice)...He lived btw.
lets just hope it him somewhere that will prevent him from polluting the gene pool anymore...

I do wish I could take a pistol with me when bowhunting (especially since small game and archery season overlap)
Old 12-02-2006, 10:36 AM   #11
brokenarrow
Evil Genius

brokenarrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lets just hope it him somewhere that will prevent him from polluting the gene pool anymore...

I do wish I could take a pistol with me when bowhunting (especially since small game and archery season overlap)
Well as my Grandaddy used to say..."Stupidity should be Painful"

But yes..would be nice to carry a small sidearm for them rats...

brokenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 PM   #12
diamond-vic.

pellet pistol, i carry one with me cuz them tree rats are everyware, pop them with a pellet. nice light and quiet
Copper John Dead Nuts
Muzzy MX4 100 gr.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I didn't say I wasn't a gun shooter. I have quite a few guns and love shooting them, I just don't like rifle season. Here are some GREAT reasons why.

1. People storm my spots that I have watched for a while, they haven't been out in the woods in a year (since last season)

3. The "Its brown its down" mentality is pretty annoying. I admit at this point in my area it has fully extended into my archery season as well.. there is no point in letting that 6 pointer go... he isn't going to see xmas anyway!

4. the huge massive forced drives that are put on frustrate me. I'm okay with 2 or 3 people walking through the woods to kick something up but come on. there are drives around here with well over 20 people.

5. The fact that you don't even need to go to hunter safety classes. Just go into Walmart and say "I lost my old license" and they will give you one. YES it works, a buddy of mine that I got hunting this year did it.

6. WAY to noisey! Give me a grunt, a twang, a snort and some running... this loud bang is annoying.

And then all the usual stupid stuff comes in, dogs being shot, people being shot, property being shot, tresspassing, deer being stolen/reshot... overall its just a depressing time of year... Noone seperates hunting from Archery hunting.
why when it matched the red in your eyes so well.....or maybe it does not match that pocket book your wearring
Old 12-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #14
Ronhop
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
In my area we get alot of guys out of NYC... They only see trees for 2 weeks out of the year so there are quite a few "accidents" and I use the term lightly...They don't know the area or the changes to the area since last year (houses, new roads, town parks, etc...)

We had a guy shoot himself in the hand opening day taking his gun off his 4 wheeler...
Last year we had a guy shoot his uncle (DEAD) 1 Hr after dark...The newspaper made it sound like the uncle was at fault for not wearing enough orange ( he had a hat)

Sounds like these guys should be included in the "Darwin Award's" discussions... Althought since the shooters lived they would only be eligible for an "Honorable Mention" as opposed to the full blown "Darwin Award"...

Ron
Old 12-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
Jay Are

Jay Are will become famous soon enough

Quote:

For me being a Transplant I hate to say this... But I agree with Dredly. I could probably come up with another 6 or more reason why I don't rifle hunt.
Jay Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
reflex69

reflex69 is on a distinguished road

i agree i dont even go out during rifle season unless its private land. the only reason i shoot deer with a rifle is its easy meat on the table. i def belive it s less skill involved with the preparation and overall hunt using a rifle. the number one reason, is rifle season takes away my number one reason i hunt , that is to relax and enjoy nature , in its natural state not veitnam , i also like the up close and personal encounters archery offers, its not a week thing, its an all around affair for me preppping for next season , paracticing with my bows every chance i get, making my own arrows , theres just something about it ,
reflex69 is offline   Reply With Quote