Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
ejg

ejg is on a distinguished road
Default To early for Grunt Calls?

How early in the season do you start using a grunt call? Reason I ask is that the other evening, I had a buck about 80-yards out, as close as he was going to get with the direction he was traveling. I figured I had nothing to loose by using my grunt call to try to bring him in. I blew a couple of soft grunts, loud enough for him to hear but not aggressive. He stood and looked for about 10-seconds and then he turned and made a hasty retreat. He didn't blow out of there like he was really spooked, but he knew something wasn't quite right. The wind was good, so he didn't smell me and I was pretty well hidden in the tree that I was in, so I doubt he saw me. Is it to early to use a grunt call yet???? I'm interested in knowing what ya'll think.
ejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

I had one grunt last Sat. - I was kind of surprised. I don't grunt this early but now I'm wondering.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default Grunt

When bowhunting I always have a grunt call on me. Grunting can work anytime. I usually only grunt if I can see the buck in the distance and try to get him closer. Having eye contact lets me know if they buck is reacting to the call.
DB
Old 10-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
I had one grunt last Sat. - I was kind of surprised. I don't grunt this early but now I'm wondering.

Situation(and location) dictates.

This time of year, for years...I have observed Bucks ignoring grunt calls. But a friendly little clacking of antlers tends to peak their curiosity, especially while they are still running in Bachelor groups.

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #5
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

It mainly depends on the personality of the deer. Some bucks will come in almost everytime when some wont ever come into it. You just never know. I tried to rattle in a big 10 pt that i could see in the distance and he heard it. Looked my way for awhile and even came a lil closer but never close enough. 4 Days later i blind rattled and he came in lookn and when I grunted at him it was like I reeled him in.
Sometimes it just depends on that deers personality or his personality at the time. I never leave home without a grunt tube. You never know if its gonna work unless you try it and I have had awesome luck with them especially the primos buck roar or growl. What ever you call it.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

i rattled in 2 small bucks last night i didnt try the grunt call though
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote