Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 10-17-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Chris
Administrator

Chris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond reputeChris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Took my son hunting this morning

I took my son hunting today. He's yet to get his first deer. I'm really frustrated because we have not been able to get a deer even close to him. I'm trying to keep him interested and excited but it's tough when your not seeing deer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I took my son hunting today. He's yet to get his first deer. I'm really frustrated because we have not been able to get a deer even close to him. I'm trying to keep him interested and excited but it's tough when your not seeing deer.
I feel your pain. Same thing going on here. My son actually killed his first one last season but we lost our lease after we managed it for 6 yrs so now they are gonna run guided hunts on it now.
We cant even spell deerre(lol) much less see one rt now.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Fred Bear11

Fred Bear11 is on a distinguished road

took a girlfriend hunting one time and when the bigest buck ive seen in my life krept up from behind she screamed and all i wanted to do was cry
Fred Bear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone is on a distinguished road
Default I agree

Quote:
Sometimes I think some of the youth I have taken with there Dads dont really appreciate the harvest when it easy. They dont realize the work I did scouting and putting them on the deer. My son never set a treestand in his life and killed several deer. I know I spoiled him and it what us Dads do best. Any time spent with your son is time well spent.

Good Luck
DB

Had one look at me and say is that all there is to it? Wanted to smack him!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #5
JAVI

JAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud ofJAVI has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jame View Post
I feel your pain. Same thing going on here. My son actually killed his first one last season but we lost our lease after we managed it for 6 yrs so now they are gonna run guided hunts on it now.
We cant even spell deerre(lol) much less see one rt now.
Exactly why I won't get on a lease with QDM, if I had 1/2 the money I've spent over the years growing deer for someone else I could own my own land...
Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
jame

jame is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVI View Post
Exactly why I won't get on a lease with QDM, if I had 1/2 the money I've spent over the years growing deer for someone else I could own my own land...
Sure makes it frustrating. I doubt I ever get back on DMAP programs. We will probably just mng how we want to and not let the land owner even know what we have on the place. We tried to do that on our last place but seen 2 of the bucks we shot last season and both were really big. 193 in main frame 10pt and a buck that would have grossed in the upper 160's to 170's if he wasnt all busted up.
jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
red44

red44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura aboutred44 has a spectacular aura about

With my oldest we did more waterfowl hunting in his first year just for the reason of it being more action. He'd bowhunt once or twice a week, but duck hunt as much as he could. But once he got his first with a bow, he was able to sit and wait easier. Sitting quietly for hours is not easy for a kid.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I took my son hunting today. He's yet to get his first deer. .....
Like father like son.

I understand where you are coming from as far as keeping their interest, but I too think its important that they realize you don't kill a deer every time you go out, and not killing a deer isn't 'failure'

But yeah, you should be able to at least get him in a place to spot some does. Wait a couple more weeks when it gets cold. Deer will start to move. And don't be against getting a corn pile out.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
Devine Shot

Devine Shot is on a distinguished road

I grew up where not many deer around and went almost all season my first year before seeing the first deer. That deer was magical seeing her. It started an absolute obsession for me. So it can also make your son appreciate his accomplishment more. Good Luck.
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
gamoboy

gamoboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to gamoboy Send a message via Skype™ to gamoboy

it is frustrating at times. i hunted for 7 years before i harvested my first deer. it was a button buck with a muzzleloader. hunting is either something your into or your not. i started out just squirrel hunting. still a big hobby of mine. you dont have to sit as still and there is usually alot of trigger time. i learned alot of patients last year and i had never let a deer walk until last year when DB let a youth and i harvest a couple of does from his lease. the more i think about it i would almost rather watch another take their first deer.
CBE Tek Hunter with Viper target and 3x lens
Trophy Taker Pronghorn
gamoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
killbambidead
bambi killer

killbambidead is on a distinguished road

i took my little brother out during the IL youth season and i hit the horns together and a 2.5 year old 8 came in but he never could get on him and then about a half hour later two does came in and he got his first deer. after he shot he looked at me and goes oh my gosh think im gonna poop in my pants it was awesome and i will never forget that it was almost better than when i killed my first deer ... but itll happen just give it time
killbambidead is offline   Reply With Quote