Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Chaotic_Cannon

Chaotic_Cannon is on a distinguished road
Default Getting back into Archery - Need help to choose best options

Hi,

I am in my 30's and I am just getting back into archery. I used to shoot back in my mid teens and was never very good as there was only a local club that essentially let us shoot and there was almost no instruction past helping us buy a beginners bow.

Anyway, I am looking to get back into archery. My main purpose is for general club shooting (indoors or outside) to learn and have fun and might use it for hunting later on (I have no intent on buying more than one bow).

My draw length is just past 26". I am pretty strong so a 50 to 70 # draw weight would be ok for me. I dont particularly like pure camo colored/style bows - I prefer a black smoke, black smoke camo color or similar ...

I want a bow that shoots at a very good speed, has to be light (less than 4 pounds) and I prefer a overall height/length of around 30 inches or so (give or take). I want pretty quiet and a good site (I saw one at Pro Bass Pro shop with a little light that helped light up the 3 or 4 site points on it. Good comfortable grip of course. Right handed with bubble level and a good rest.

My questions are about what bow manufacturer is the better choices? There are so many!

There is:
PSE (Precision)
Martin Archery
Mathews
Bowtech
Bear
Diamond
and more of course.

Then from there there is the specific bow type from the specific manufacturer.

My budget is from $400 to $800. I cant really justify a +$1000 bow at this point.

I have already looked at many bows and like some of them for different reasons but each manufacturer has so many little differences ....

So please any help in choosing a good bow that suits my needs and budget would be great (draw length, size, lightness, color and style) and then from there the options for them like the quiver, rest, sight, etc.

Thanks
Chaotic_Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
kleve

kleve is on a distinguished road

I love my bear truth 2 darkhorse its blacked out, i have a copper john deadnuts mark iii micro adjust, qad drop away rest beeman ics hunter arrows, truglo stabilizer, i love my setup its a great shooting bow cant go wrong with the mathews z7 either, the hoyt crx35 is a pretty kick ass bow as well.
kleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
stubby'smom

stubby'smom is on a distinguished road

I suggest the BowTech Assassin. For $600, minus arrows, you would be ready to shoot. Nice bow for the $.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
kleve

kleve is on a distinguished road

look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico
kleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Martins are built in Washington state, and have some of the best customer service in the biz, and fit right into your buget Check out the Silencer, am reading a lot of new owners on the martintech board wiht nothing but rave reviews for this bow.
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road

All you listed are good bow manufactures. With your price range you should have no trouble finding one you like. Shoot as many of them as you can before you make a choice. I shoot a lower draw weight because I like to shoot alot of arrows. Something to keep in mind. Todays bows you don't loose a whole lot of speed when you drop the draw weight.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
broken arrow

broken arrow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleve View Post
look on huntersfriend.com you can buy complete packages that include arrows and broadheads, go bear, i would avoid bowtech and diamond because they are now made in mexico
I own a bowtech and 2 diamonds. Model years 2009 to 2011 all made in the USA. If I where you I would not throw out claims that are not true. Where did you get that information.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #8
cummins91

cummins91 is on a distinguished road

G5 Primal gfade, black riser fades to camo on limbs. Smooth/fast bow
cummins91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
Elkslayer
Bad 2 the Bone

Elkslayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken arrow View Post
I own a bowtech and 2 diamonds. Model years 2009 to 2011 all made in the USA. If I where you I would not throw out claims that are not true. Where did you get that information.
all the way not sure where you get your infor but as far as i know they still are up an running, right where they started..Eugene Oregon.. dont think i live in mexico Fyi I not a fan boy dont even own one

OP.. best advice is try as many as you can get your hands on.. then make your pic..after all its you that has to shoot it... keep in mind one still needs to out fit a bow once it is bought..sights/ rest/ arrow's it all add's up fast
good luck

Its all fun & Games. Untill you put that big boy on the ground..
Now its time to get to work
Elkslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
aaronevo

aaronevo is on a distinguished road

i am also just getting back in. after shopping for about a year, this is what i came home with. bare bow was 780. everything else was extra and it added up fast. but.... i figured i only am going to buy one so it might as well be the one i want. it is skullz camo which is really cool. ill get pics on here soon.
aaronevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
gobbler716

gobbler716 is on a distinguished road

Age old question, how do I hook up with a manufacturer?
gobbler716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
Bowhunter4545
Archery field tester

Bowhunter4545 is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome to this site, post often.
Bowhunter4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #13
Redbone311

Redbone311 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
They are NOT made in Mexico ! They are made in Eugene, Oregon !
I agree with buy American. But please - know your facts !!!!
Redbone311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
octain2

octain2 is on a distinguished road

bowtech assassin for 600 is a good deal for a really good shooting bow...i would change out the rest on it and put a good drop rest on it...all those brush rests are junk...no matter what the make..they burn after so many shots leaving your arrow sloping down...other then that its a good setup...
octain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
octain2

octain2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WOW!!!!!!!! we know what we are talking about!!! Bowtech is made in mexico...LOLOLOL...are you from mexico?????????????????? How would you say BOWTECH IN MEXICO...LOLOLOLOL
octain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:50 PM   #16
Slippy
Buckeyes #1 <----

Slippy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #17
walt lurz

walt lurz is on a distinguished road
Default Usa

I'm in the same boat, getting back into archery after 25 years.... i've been to every archery shop within 60 miles of my town Ocala,Fl..
Every Diamond and Bowtech I've looked at was made here in USA. Bear, however is now made in china,,,don't know when they changed. they used to be made right up the road from me in Gainesville, Fl.. Their website says China..listed right after the specs, pretty clear. Too bad, I have a old Bear made in Gainesville, great bow, just old.
But I want something new made here in USA. Thinking about the Diamond Outlaw.
walt lurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #18
Carpshooter
Recycle archer

Carpshooter will become famous soon enoughCarpshooter will become famous soon enough
Talking You've come to the right place !

I'll get the wagon out for you !

I shoot Hoyts and they are well made and they are not new bows as some are over 15 years old , as they are well made !
Carpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:47 AM   #19
Kiko

Kiko is on a distinguished road

Welcome.

I'm still fairly new too as I just started shooting last season. After 7 months of no shooting, I hit the 3d course again yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how un-horrible I shot lol.

3d is crazy fun...WELCOME!
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote