Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Beginners Archery Range

Old 12-20-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
CluelessWife

CluelessWife is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Bow Buying Advice

I am trying to find a bow for my husband for Christmas. He has never bow hunted before but would like to try. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for something he may or may not get into. Here are a few of the (used) bows I am considering. Can anyone offer any advice about which seem like good bows and/or good deals? I do not know the year on most of them. The information is all directly from the sellers, so I apologize if it's redundant or if there are any discrepancies.

I measured my husband's arm span (73.5) and figured he would need around a 29" draw (29.2-29.6). Are most bows listed at 28", 29", or 30" range adjustable to his specific length or only ones that give a range for the length?

1) PSE Polaris Game Sport Series $159
"may be an older bow"

2) Martin Tracer LT $175
55-70#, 29", with hard case & quiver

3) Parker Buck Hunter $200
70#, 28-30"

4) Fred Bear Element $249
60#, 28"
"about 3 years old"

5) Browning Spectrum II $160
60#+, 29-32", 65% let off, overdraw, soft case
"about 4-5 years old"
CluelessWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
stubby'smom

stubby'smom is on a distinguished road

I don't know anything about the bows listed. PSE, Parker and Martin are all good brands. I had an older Browning last spring that I really liked but Browning is bottom of the barrel for brands. I would suggest taking him to a shop and seeing if they have some used bows you can have him try. Then he can find something he likes and you might be able to find a nice package deal they can set him up for that day.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
kw1
Pearson Pro Staff

kw1 is on a distinguished road

i had a parker buck hunter and really liked it out of the bows listed the only one i have used but you cant beat the parker for a starter bow
vapor trail staff
tru ball staff, specialty archery staff
kw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessWife View Post
I am trying to find a bow for my husband for Christmas. He has never bow hunted before but would like to try. I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for something he may or may not get into. Here are a few of the (used) bows I am considering. Can anyone offer any advice about which seem like good bows and/or good deals? I do not know the year on most of them. The information is all directly from the sellers, so I apologize if it's redundant or if there are any discrepancies.

I measured my husband's arm span (73.5) and figured he would need around a 29" draw (29.2-29.6). Are most bows listed at 28", 29", or 30" range adjustable to his specific length or only ones that give a range for the length?

"may be an older bow"

2) Martin Tracer LT $175

70#, 28-30"

60#, 28"
"about 3 years old"

"about 4-5 years old"
pse is what fits me the best but i cant tell you what to buy for youre hubby. good luck in finding the right one
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Of those bows listed, the one that stand out is the Parker but I'd rather see a new shooter start out with a 60 lbs DW than a 70. Even if he is a big guy, 70 lbs is pretty heavy for someone who's new to archery and could very easily lead to bad habits.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
kleve

kleve is on a distinguished road

i would try to find a used bear lights out, it is a great starter bow, i had one and it shot very well for the price, i have shot and hunted with many different bows i used to shoot pse and loved it until i switched to bear. Im currently shooting a bear truth 2 it is my favorite bow by far.
kleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #7
jessgcmo

jessgcmo is on a distinguished road

hey, I don't want to go against anything anyone else is saying but something to consider is buying a brand that is sold at your local bow shop. I travel for a living and I have visted alot of bow shops and I have found that if you have a pse and the shop carries hoyt chances are he wont have any parts in stock and won't be that interested in getting any for you due to the fact that shop doesnt deal with the manufactuer of your bow. I'm not saying every shop is like that but I have encountered shops that had zero interest in helping me for one reason or another which utimatly related back to the fact that they didnt carry my bow.
jessgcmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
elkslayer4x5
EastOutfitters

elkslayer4x5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessWife View Post

"may be an older bow"

2) Martin Tracer LT $175

70#, 28-30"

60#, 28"
"about 3 years old"

"about 4-5 years old"
You'll need a bow that had adjustable modules rather that having to change a module, sounds like the Tracer is like that, 29", the PSE may be as well. appears that the other 3 do have adjustable modules, and you can turn the Parker down more than 10 lbs. Grandson has a Parker Sidekick, when I changed the limbs, it was ten turns out until the string was slack, 17 to remove the bolt.. JMO
04 Martin Cougar Elite Nitrous C X Quiktune 1000
elkslayer4x5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
CUCAOUTDOORS

CUCAOUTDOORS is on a distinguished road

I hope you have found what you looking for as a Beginner Bow Package.
www.cucaoutdoors.com
CUCAOUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 AM   #10
Bowhunter4545
Archery field tester

Bowhunter4545 is on a distinguished road

Strikes me as she's the not so CluelessWife, and getting an early start for hubby's christmas bow.
Bowhunter4545 is offline   Reply With Quote