Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > Bowhunting forum

Old 02-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #1
IChim2
IChim2 and he's a shooter

IChim2 is on a distinguished road
Default How do you feel about neighbors that...

thinks it's ok for their dogs to run loose all over your yard/property.We have 8 acres of heavly wooded land and our house is right in the middle of it and last week i had to do something i hate which is drive to neighboring houses and tell 3 different owners that if their dog came back down,what would happen...and i was as nice about it as possible.One morning last week 2 different neghbors dogs came down and jumped on my beagle that is on a cable and he couldn't get away from them so i grabed the 410 and when i opened the back door they ran up in the woods a ways and i shot a few feet over their head and they ran back towards their homes.I drove up to the owners and told each of them what happened and as much as i hated,if it happened again....it wouldn't be a scare off shot.I couldn't believe what both owners said,which was...were sorry about that,but don't make a mistake of shooting our dogs and went on to say that they hate to pen/tie them up because dogs should get to run and shouldn't be confined a pen or chain.I than told them that i love my pets as much as anyone,but we also respect other peoples property and we keep them in our own yard...and this went back and forth for a bit and when i understood that being nice wasn't going to change anything...i just said to all 3 partys that if it happens again or if they even come down...they won't be comming home.I'm starting to get a complex about people that thinks it's ok for their pets to rome all over other peoples property...sorry.How would some of you reacted to what happened....by the way...they haven't been back,so i guess they took me serious.PS...the 3rd dog just likes to come down at all hours of the night and get into a barking contest with my beagle..which wakes us up at at all hours.
IChim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #2
QSA
One eyed/Gutless wonder

QSA is on a distinguished road

well I would not shoot them. That is just leaving yourself open for a law suit. What I would do is call the pound or animal control. Have them picked up. Make sure they know who the owners are. That way they will be fined for letting them run free. You do have a lesh law there right? But if they have to pay to get there dogs back and fines, then they may learn a lesson from it. But if you shoot them, then I hope your dog never gets loose. They will take it is a chance to shoot yours.
message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol
QSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
QSA
One eyed/Gutless wonder

O yes get is rubber buck shot. That will teach the dogs not to come around your house and it want kill anyones dog.
message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol
Old 02-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #4
trussoni
Ninja Fighting Fool

trussoni is on a distinguished road

i dont think a dog should necessarily be tied up either but thats what kennels are for. i know a guy who took a shot at a dog and got in some big trouble for it. just call animal control or something is my suggestion. its not worth fines lawsuits and the beating your good name will take.

FBSA Member
http://www.thefbsa.com
Mathews Drenalin
Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second
trussoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #5
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

So what your saying is the dog deserves to die due to the owners, not being responable? WOW real stand up guy!!!
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Wheely has a spectacular aura aboutWheely has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSA View Post
well I would not shoot them. That is just leaving yourself open for a law suit. What I would do is call the pound or animal control. Have them picked up. Make sure they know who the owners are. That way they will be fined for letting them run free. You do have a lesh law there right? But if they have to pay to get there dogs back and fines, then they may learn a lesson from it. But if you shoot them, then I hope your dog never gets loose. They will take it is a chance to shoot yours.
Wheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
Scrotang

Scrotang is on a distinguished road

When I was In junior high neighborhood dogs and strays would come around when my lab was in heat. all it took were a few well placed .22 pellets from my old single shot benjamin to send them running and keep them away. (just 2 pumps by the way, I wasn't going for penetration)
Tru Fire/ Scott hybrid release
Copper John Dead Nuts II
Posten FTW
FOBS
Scrotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
dbdcougar
He Who Drops His Bow Arm

dbdcougar will become famous soon enough

Agree with those who advise it's time to get the authorities involved.
dbdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:42 AM   #9
pred8er
He who eats fuzzy animals

pred8er is on a distinguished road

If the law doesn't work, and most of the time these type of people will not care about the law, there is always SSS (shoot, shovel, shutup).

To everyone else....I certainly would like to know where your property is since you do not mind tresspassers or interlopers. I sure could use a few more places to hunt

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.
pred8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:27 AM   #10
QSA
One eyed/Gutless wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
If the law doesn't work, and most of the time these type of people will not care about the law, there is always SSS (shoot, shovel, shutup).

To everyone else....I certainly would like to know where your property is since you do not mind tresspassers or interlopers. I sure could use a few more places to hunt
Money out of there pockets will always work.

what do you want but load of rubber buckshot coming your way. Did you not read my post? I take it you do not have pets. Let me put it this way. I take care of my pets, Fenced in back yard. But the trash man leaves the gate open and my dogs will not leave the fence. But if they did, does that give you the right to shoot them? No They are a member of my family an I will deal with anyone that messes with them just as I would one of my kids.
There are non lethal ways of dealing with this problem.

Rubber Buckshot
This will also work on people unwanted on your land also. The courts will see you as a stand up guy for using it. It shows you have enough brains to handle the issues with a strong arm with out used deadly force.
Now inside my house, or lets say the doors and windows are the kill zone. Once crossed you will be rolled out with a sheet over you, toes up.

Last edited by QSA; 02-24-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:57 AM   #11
ace7038

ace7038 is on a distinguished road

First things first. I respect you for going over to the neighbors and saying your dogs were over at my place (my neighbors didn't they wrote a letter to the municipality). I don't shoot dogs at my house but if I find them in my pasture or in my feedlot they leave only by baler twine around their legs destined for a hole in the ground. I have no problem with my neighbors dog coming over to my yard or in my shop when I am working, in fact I enjoy his friendship as does my Saint Bernard, they love playing together. My neighbor came over to shoot my dog because the dog killed his at, and when I asked if he was sure it was my dog he tried to run over me with his jeep. He said "I'll show you, you think you own the town" and went home and shot the dog (mine was in his kennel watching the hole fiasco. then called the clerk and animal control, police,etc. Turns out he shot someone else dog and the animal control lady told him so nut he said she lied because I am on council. It still seems to be my fault somehow in his eyes and he won't drop it (five years old now).
There are people who 'hate' dogs and always will. No matter what we do they will never like having them around and will blame dog owners for everything wrong around their place. These people are the one's responsible for us having dog bylaws and animal control at great cost to our municipality not just them. Most dogs alone are not a problem it is when you have two or more you have a pack of dogs and they act different.
If the dogs come back to your place your message did not get through, make your own decision as to what to do. If they don't come back then you were understood.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:02 AM   #12
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

BUNNYMAN will become famous soon enoughBUNNYMAN will become famous soon enough

When I was 16, I had a 300 prize winning show rabbits.......they are considered LIVESTOCK in NY, the 2 neihgbors had dogs that always came around and were as nice as could be..........

well it was bound to happen, one day my mom went outside to go to work and there were 2 new dogs and they were attacking the rabbits through the cages and had killed 2 of my better animals........

they became aggressive when my mom tried to chase them away.......I retrieved a 2x4 and broke it of the ones skull.......I still dont know how this dog made it home......

The second DOG was the town Judges dog, I made some phone calls......and within the hour, the judge was at my house in his suit and tie, appologizing and paying me for the animals that were destroyed.....

HE ALSO HAD A LETTER signed by himeself, that said if HIS DOG or any dogs for that matter, came around...........

I HAD FULL RIGHT TO SHOOT TO KILL........and in the envelope with the letter was a copy of the NY STATE LAW, that states, all a DOG has to do is WORRY LIVESTOCK, and you have the right to KILL said dog.....

BY the way these "SHOULD I KILL A DOG COMING ON MY PROPERTY" threads NEVER MAKE IT very long.....

SO HERE IS MY ADVICE..........IF YOU DONT WANT TO WONDER WHERE SPARKY WENT, KEEP THE DAMB THING CHAINED UP........

OH AND THE GUYS THAT DO TAKE MATTERS IN TO THERE OWN HANDS, SHUT UP ABOUT IT AND MAKE SURE YOU KILL IT ON THE FIRST SHOT.......get a shovel, and never speak of it again....

I wont say what happenedto the second dog that recived the blunt force trauma to its skull, BUT I WILL SAY, he came around EXACTLY 1 MORE TIME
Old 02-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
lungcutter

lungcutter is on a distinguished road

Buy a wrist rocket and shoot these dogs in the backend and shout and hollar when you do it. Even chase them. It stopped the neighbors dog from coming over and growling at my kids. I have not seen that dog on my property since. I have seen him walking down the road a few times, when he sees me outside he tucks his tail and runs.

We also had a dog that would climb under the fence to do her business, and the neighbors would just laugh about it. dog crawled under in the same spot, so we made it a very unpleasant experience for the dog to crawl through that hole. The dog now uses the other neighbors property. But they put it on the steps of the dog owner at night.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #14
dodgensince74

I feel you did right by talking to the owners of the dogs. I would have done the same thing except I would not have hung around to argue, I would just tell them the situation without the "if it happens again part", thanked them for listening and left. If it happened again then they would be worm food, I don't care what anyone says, I would then invoke the SSS rule.
Everyone has remember if you have a dog or cat its yours, not your nieghbors, if I want another pet I will go out and get my own. So many people say "I love my dog/cat like they were one my kids", well I don't know to many people that condone letting their kids wonder thier neighborhoods any time of the day or night crapping, digging or destroying their nieghbors property or livestock. If you love your pets like you do your kids, then take care of them like you would your kids, keep them under your control and supervision.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #15
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgensince74 View Post
Everyone has remember if you have a dog or cat its yours, not your nieghbors, if I want another pet I will go out and get my own. So many people say "I love my dog/cat like they were one my kids", well I don't know to many people that condone letting their kids wonder thier neighborhoods any time of the day or night crapping, digging or destroying their nieghbors property or livestock. If you love your pets like you do your kids, then take care of them like you would your kids, keep them under your control and supervision.
this should be a sticky.........AMEN
Old 02-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #16
BowhuntnHoosier
Bisquit.......

BowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura aboutBowhuntnHoosier has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I feel you did right by talking to the owners of the dogs. I would have done the same thing except I would not have hung around to argue, I would just tell them the situation without the "if it happens again part", thanked them for listening and left. If it happened again then they would be worm food, I don't care what anyone says, I would then invoke the SSS rule.
Great post....

If the animal gets off the chain or out of the pen then thats one thing but if it continually runs loose then thats a completely different matter and the owners should be informed and warned. If its your pet keep it on your property.

"HONDA"
BowhuntnHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #17
thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! is on a distinguished road

I hate people that let their dogs run loose. Within a block of my house there is a fireman right across the street and a cop a few house down. They are the worst I have ever seen.

I have called and called the humane society and then they will put the dogs up for a few weeks and then they are running loose again.

They are nice guys but they need to keep their darned animals put up. One time after the firemans dog chased an 80 yr. old lady down the street I called the cops and told them they have 5 minutes to get someone over there or I was calling their supervisor.

The cops and animal control were there in 2. When I told the cop that I wanted to something done and I was tired of them not doing anything he replied, " But he's a fireman! "

I said that is nice and I appreciate his service but he has to follow the law just like everyone else. He did get a ticket that time.

One tip. Make sure you take photos. That way there is no dispute.

rick
Old 02-24-2008, 08:30 AM   #18
IChim2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullspotter View Post
So what your saying is the dog deserves to die due to the owners, not being responable? WOW real stand up guy!!!
I am a stand up person....but when they come down and Jump all over my rabbit dog...i have to do something.I did make calls to the local sheriffs dept and even told them where the owners lived and over a 3 wk period...nothing changed....and i ask them what to do if after talking to the owners and it continued to happen.....they said....we won't tell you what you can and can't do...but you have the right to protect your property.Bullspotter....you honestly think thats it ok for people to let their dogs run loose and chew up some one elses dog that is kept on a cable on their own property....are you really that Arrogant.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:40 AM   #19
IChim2

Folks,...i don't have a problem with the neighbors dogs straying onto my property now and than.....The Problem is when they jump all over My Dog that is on a 20' cable that is attached to his dog house.And i've been as nice as possible going to the owners and trying to talk about it....but apparently they are so ARROGANT that they don't care.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:01 AM   #20
goldflinger

goldflinger is on a distinguished road

If their dogs have the right to roam free, feel free to go into your neighbors house, raid the refrigarator, watch a little t.v. shave in the kitchen sink.See how they feel about that.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 AM   #21
Wheely
Wheely Threads

We kennel all 3 of our dogs, but I do let them out at least once a day, they do run off (don't always listen when I call them). I hope all the time that some grumpy dog hater doesn't get ahold of them. I try to keep them home, but sometimes they just want to run and they are always back quickly.

I don't mind that the neighbors dogs or cats hang out up here as long as they are not causing any problems. I would try NON lethal forces long before I would kill someones pet.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #22
QSA
One eyed/Gutless wonder

Quote:

Hey I do. lol JK
Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #23
bullspotter

bullspotter is on a distinguished road

Hey IChim2 No i dont think its ok to have other dogs running lose and messing with your dog and property, but dogs have the need to run around and cause trouble sometimes, or all the time. Weather they run free all the time, or get off their line or chain, they seem to like to go find stuff to get into, and cause some problems. Do you really think the dogs deserve to die, because their owners dont take near as good of care of them as they should!! Not really the dogs fault. Just think how you would feel if your dog got off somehow, and got shot cause it wanderd off onto some other property.
Get one of those cool net guns and catch the dog, call the pound and tell them you cought a stray dog on your property and they need to come get it. After several times of the owner having to go get their dog back they might do something. my .02.
bullspotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #24
cape buffalo

cape buffalo is on a distinguished road

the people who say they let there dog out to run around are the same people who cause problems for everone else .if it was my dog they attacked they would never see thier dogs again.:
cape buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:02 PM   #25
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by IChim2 View Post
thinks it's ok for their dogs to run loose all over your yard/property.We have 8 acres of heavly wooded land and our house is right in the middle of it and last week i had to do something i hate which is drive to neighboring houses and tell 3 different owners that if their dog came back down,what would happen...and i was as nice about it as possible.One morning last week 2 different neghbors dogs came down and jumped on my beagle that is on a cable and he couldn't get away from them so i grabed the 410 and when i opened the back door they ran up in the woods a ways and i shot a few feet over their head and they ran back towards their homes.I drove up to the owners and told each of them what happened and as much as i hated,if it happened again....it wouldn't be a scare off shot.I couldn't believe what both owners said,which was...were sorry about that,but don't make a mistake of shooting our dogs and went on to say that they hate to pen/tie them up because dogs should get to run and shouldn't be confined a pen or chain.I than told them that i love my pets as much as anyone,but we also respect other peoples property and we keep them in our own yard...and this went back and forth for a bit and when i understood that being nice wasn't going to change anything...i just said to all 3 partys that if it happens again or if they even come down...they won't be comming home.I'm starting to get a complex about people that thinks it's ok for their pets to rome all over other peoples property...sorry.How would some of you reacted to what happened....by the way...they haven't been back,so i guess they took me serious.PS...the 3rd dog just likes to come down at all hours of the night and get into a barking contest with my beagle..which wakes us up at at all hours.
1st I would have not said a word to anybody
2nd tha dogs would have not went home
nuff said

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Holy Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape buffalo View Post
the people who say they let there dog out to run around are the same people who cause problems for everone else .if it was my dog they attacked they would never see thier dogs again.:
I let my dogs out to run and I am far from a Problem maker, I try to watch them and Play with them to keep them close, but sometimes they just take off, acting like they don't hear me (kinda like my kids sometimes )
Old 02-24-2008, 05:06 PM   #27
Wheely
Wheely Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
nuff said
Wow Smokes, I expected a little more of a Godly answer from you
Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #28
Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes will become famous soon enoughHoly Smokes will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
Wow Smokes, I expected a little more of a Godly answer from you
Sorry I dissapointed you Wheels if they are threating my property
Well I am gonna protect it
If they had came at me, my wife, or my pet -human or animal
I am gonna " provide for my family" now thats Bible

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps
Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #29
Holy Smokes

BTW htat is if they are harrasing us
if they around just cruising I will soot a bottle rocket
but now tha aggressive stuff
different story
how do we know they ain't rabid
i anit gonna give a chance ta git us

Old 02-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #30
QSA
One eyed/Gutless wonder

Quote:
nuff said
I never thought I would here that from you somkes. I for one never though I would see the day I would do this to you. You know the big books teachs peace. I under stand if they were attacking you or yours, but just coming around and doing dog things. I hae gave the best thing to do. Rubber buckshot will hurt like crap and most dogs learn from one round in the but.

Last edited by QSA; 02-24-2008 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:22 PM   #31
QSA
One eyed/Gutless wonder

Quote:
BTW htat is if they are harrasing us
if they around just cruising I will soot a bottle rocket
but now tha aggressive stuff
different story
how do we know they ain't rabid
i anit gonna give a chance ta git us
Because he said he now the dogs and there owners.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #32
cape buffalo

cape buffalo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheely View Post
I let my dogs out to run and I am far from a Problem maker, I try to watch them and Play with them to keep them close, but sometimes they just take off, acting like they don't hear me (kinda like my kids sometimes )
dont have problem with dog running off but if your dog attack anything of mine all bets are off and you get whats cumming..
cape buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:34 PM   #33
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

I PAY TAXES ON MY PROPERTY..........ITS MINE......KEEP YOUR DOG ON YOURS.......

I am a little suprized at smokes answer but HE IS RIGHT ON THIS ONE.......

if my dog, causes issues, than by all means TAKE CARE OF IT.........

ITS A FRIGGEN DOG FOLKS........GET A FREAKIN GRIP........
Old 02-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #34
J.C.

J.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the roughJ.C. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post

yep......
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #35
bagel77

bagel77 is on a distinguished road

EXLAX Just feed them a little EXLAX. Then it becomes the owners problem!!
bagel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #36
bullfiddle
Movin on up!!!

bullfiddle is on a distinguished road

Well I will say this I don't like to shoot anybody's pet's or make a practice of it. We had a neighbor that moved into the area a few years ago and decided it was ok to let his pit bull run loose. Well it growled at my Unit and lunged at her in the yard one day. She called me at work and I came home and let's just say the dog is still in the yard....
FBSA President and Founder
bullfiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #37
BUNNYMAN
I pray for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
Well I will say this I don't like to shoot anybody's pet's or make a practice of it. We had a neighbor that moved into the area a few years ago and decided it was ok to let his pit bull run loose. Well it growled at my Unit and lunged at her in the yard one day. She called me at work and I came home and let's just say the dog is still in the yard....
GOOD...........SOME DOGS ARE NOT PET MATERIAL......
Old 02-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #38
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSA View Post
I never thought I would here that from you somkes. I for one never though I would see the day I would do this to you. You know the big books teachs peace. I under stand if they were attacking you or yours, but just coming around and doing dog things. I hae gave the best thing to do. Rubber buckshot will hurt like crap and most dogs learn from one round in the but.
Dude when you have had your nose in The Book for 27 yrs like me and understand what it says then I will accept your No nos
I Have got tha Word behind me on this one
This like piling on QSA
15 yrd penlty

1 Tim 5:7-8

7 And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless.

8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel .
KJV
Would you let another animal or human attack your dog or family member
the roll of the man is to provide and protect
and infidel is a sinner-unbeliver

Old 02-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #39
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post

Why are you suprised Bman
Just doing what comes naturaly

Old 02-24-2008, 08:18 PM   #40
Holy Smokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
Where he belongs
they were created wild and we domesticated them
they are our natural enemy