Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
alaz

alaz is on a distinguished road
Default switching to BT ??

I am trying to make the switch to back tension. I have a evolution and a sweet spot (just feel safe with the safety right now). It has really improved my aiming...but I keep hitting left. The further I go from the target, the more left I shoot. I know it is something I am doing wrong in my form. At the shot I think my bow arm is jerking to the left. Any other things I should consider? Any advice here.
thanks.
alaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM   #2
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Your more then likely PUSHING too much with your bow arm. People talk about using the "push/pull" technique. More times then not the pushing is going to lead to shooting left (if your right handed) when your pushing too much.

I try and maintain a consistent tension in my bow arm...I pretty much want it to be static...and do all the work on the release side.

that being said your center shot could be off slightly since your arrow gets more left as you get farther from the target.....
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

I'm just opposite. I hit right when I use the BT release. You more than likely have to retune the bow. It might be as simple as changing the sight setting (try it) or maybe you need to walkback tune. Either way, sometimes the slightest change can call for some kind of adjustment like this.

And a word of advise. If you're going to learn to use a BT release properly then put the other ones away and dedicate yourself to the BT.
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
Rattlinman
trust me, I know

Rattlinman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I'm just opposite. I hit right when I use the BT release. You more than likely have to retune the bow. It might be as simple as changing the sight setting (try it) or maybe you need to walkback tune. Either way, sometimes the slightest change can call for some kind of adjustment like this.

And a word of advise. If you're going to learn to use a BT release properly then put the other ones away and dedicate yourself to the BT.
perfect advice, if your going to do it, go all the way and don't go back.

Both answers above are correct, if you push with your arm too much, you'll go left, if you break down just at the shot you'll go right. The key is to find the right tension so that your body "explodes" at the shot. Your bow arm should roll left, your release arm should fly back and kinda behind you. Once you achieve the correct amount of pressure, the release will be crisp and the shot will feel good.

Whatever you do, don't get frustrated because your not shooting perfect right off the bat. Some of my worst scores ever were in the first year of learning...but eventually they came up as i got consistent.

Check your pins to see if they are lined up with the arrow, then do some walk-back tuning....it may be a tuning issue but more than likely it's you not getting your form the same each shot.

Good luck and good practicing !!
Rattlinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #5
alaz

thanks for the advice. I will look over my tuning...that could be an issue, just did not have this with thumb release. However, I feel like I am aiming better, and I feel my form improving overall. I have a long way to go. I will keep practicing.
I have left my thumb release behind...
Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
Your more then likely PUSHING too much with your bow arm. People talk about using the "push/pull" technique. More times then not the pushing is going to lead to shooting left (if your right handed) when your pushing too much.

I try and maintain a consistent tension in my bow arm...I pretty much want it to be static...and do all the work on the release side.

I agree with BH...
also if your draw length is short you will do that too at least in my experience.

i know with back tension draw length is more critical, and that is what one of the other posters was basically saying, too much hard to go off, too little and you have other issues. it will definately take some work and may get worse but in the long run you will be ahead in your game. good luck!!
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
alaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archerdad View Post
I agree with BH...
also if your draw length is short you will do that too at least in my experience.

i know with back tension draw length is more critical, and that is what one of the other posters was basically saying, too much hard to go off, too little and you have other issues. it will definately take some work and may get worse but in the long run you will be ahead in your game. good luck!!
I appreciate the advice and the encouragement. I was wondering if my DL is a factor. I tend to shoot a bow with a little shorter DL (at least I think, insofar as I have a slight bend in my arm) I wonder if I am straightening out my elbow at the shot and therfore pushing. Just the fact that it is bent, I almost can't help but push. I will toy with it (I have an Athens and can tweak the draw stop one direction or another). Thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaz View Post
I appreciate the advice and the encouragement. I was wondering if my DL is a factor. I tend to shoot a bow with a little shorter DL (at least I think, insofar as I have a slight bend in my arm) I wonder if I am straightening out my elbow at the shot and therfore pushing. Just the fact that it is bent, I almost can't help but push. I will toy with it (I have an Athens and can tweak the draw stop one direction or another). Thanks.
Well there ya go...that tells me that you are pushing. Shooting a hinge and controlling that amount of push with a bent arm is VERY difficult. The only person I have ever really seen shoot a hinge well with any degree of bend in their arm is Jesse Broadwater....although I am sure there are others that will claim to
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote