Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
***psehunterpa***

***psehunterpa*** is on a distinguished road
Default 3d practice

how many of ya take the game of 3d and use it just for practice for hunting or is it a serious commitment for you as a competition?
***psehunterpa*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

I don't shoot a lot of 3D anymore...I prefer to shoot field and indoors. But I don't do it as hunting practice. I do it because I love to shoot archery....as a result it makes me a MUCH better shot when it comes to hunting. I love to hunt but I actually have gotten to the point were I prefer competition and target archery more then hunting.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
kgoss33@gmail.com

kgoss33@gmail.com is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
I don't shoot a lot of 3D anymore...I prefer to shoot field and indoors. But I don't do it as hunting practice. I do it because I love to shoot archery....as a result it makes me a MUCH better shot when it comes to hunting. I love to hunt but I actually have gotten to the point were I prefer competition and target archery more then hunting.

Im at the point where my friends talk about shooting booners and i talk about winning tournaments.
kgoss33@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

archeryassasin is on a distinguished road

i just like to shoot anything, still target, 3d, or live animals. im addicted to archery!
archeryassasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Rev. Juan

Rev. Juan is on a distinguished road

I'll shoot anything well almost, I just love to shoot

08 GTO Thumper
09 Elite GT500 Ninja aka el fabricante de viuda

www.trinitycustomstrings.com
Rev. Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
sweet old bill

sweet old bill is on a distinguished road

just love to shoot but sure is a big help for getting ready for hunting.
sweet old bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Taylor Co.

Taylor Co. is on a distinguished road

Well, I started to enhance my shooting skills for hunting 30-yrs ago..but 3-d to me is different it is a competition. But I try to not let it be a source of irritation, it's my leisure time.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
upnorth

upnorth is on a distinguished road

i'd say 95+ pct of the shooters at my 3d range do it for hunting .
upnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
wilkersonhunter
In God we trust

wilkersonhunter is on a distinguished road

i have been shooting 3-d for the last 20 yrs or so but i try to not take it so seriously where i dont have fun at it because thats what its about is having fun with youre friends.
[/COLOR]Treelimb quivers best out there
treelimb quivers and sword sights pro staff
wilkersonhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
bfisher

bfisher will become famous soon enough

I don't shoot 3D as much as I used to, but I have never considered it prectice for hunting. As an Eastern hardwoods hunter I'm almost always in a treestand and 3D has NO correleation to this type of hunting. Another thing about the ype of hunting I do is that the only yardage estmation I need make is whether the animal is within 30 yards. If so I put my 25 yard pin on the animal and take my shjot. I consider 3D another target venue where I have to estiamte the distance as accurately as possible, put my own bullseye on the target, and execute the shot. So.......
Worldwide Scuba Diver
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Hoyt1945

Hoyt1945 is on a distinguished road

I don't consider 3d competition preparing me for hunting. All my hunting is from a tree stand and I have a range finder and know the distance of my shot. Most of my shots are 20yds and closer. Indoor shooting does more for my hunt preparation than a 3 d range. I'm working on the shot not judging distance,
Old 01-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
stubby'smom

stubby'smom is on a distinguished road

I don't hunt so no. Last year it was all about not losing arrows, having fun and just being able to hit anywhere on the target lol! This year it's going to be about having fun, hitting more 12's and 14's, again not losing arrows, improving on my own scores and did I say fun?!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #13
Gator eye

Gator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the roughGator eye is a jewel in the rough

I shoot 3d as competition. You keep score, it's a competition.

Practise for hunting is shooting 20 yard chip shots out of a tree stand mounted on the side of my pole barn. Nothing like 3d.
Gator eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
CutTheLoop

CutTheLoop will become famous soon enoughCutTheLoop will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt1945 View Post
I don't consider 3d competition preparing me for hunting. All my hunting is from a tree stand and I have a range finder and know the distance of my shot. Most of my shots are 20yds and closer. Indoor shooting does more for my hunt preparation than a 3 d range. I'm working on the shot not judging distance,

^^^

CutTheLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Wood

Wood is on a distinguished road

When I first started 3d it was all about preparing to bow hunt. It's still practice for bow hunting but more of a competition with fellow archers now. I love to win.
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

I started out shooting 3D to prepare for hunting, and it did help me. I shot my bow more and became familiar with a kill zone on animals through 3D. It also helped when I shot with friends by putting pressure on myself. Not as good as if a nice buck comes out in your shooting lane, but closer than just shooting by yourself.

Shooting any competition will help you become a better shooter I think. You have more confidence in your abilities. It is hard to simulate "buck fever" on the range in my mind. You can also shoot the video systems, as they will add pressure to your shooting because of the unknown "best shot" and time constraints.

Anyway shooting your bow is fun, go shoot and have fun, post up your big buck when you get him....
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #17
Devine Shot

Devine Shot is on a distinguished road

I think 3D is the greatest practice for hunting. Yes most of us hunt from treestands but can never range ever possible scenario, well can range them all but remember what is what without getting confused is a different story. So there are times I must rely on my judging in crunch time. Also that Buck fever alot of us get especially me, the only thing that has come close to that feeling is when I was down to last couple targets at state and me and two other guys was battling out first all in the same group. That pressure has been the closest thing that ever compared to buck of lifetime coming in. Then one of the best parts of 3D is we do not have a center dot to hit on our targets, we have to be creative to find our spot we want to hit and pic a spot out of nothing. That is pretty much exactly how it is for me to pick a spot on a deer. So Yes I use 3D for my hunting practice, but it is becoming to be a passion all in its own for me. I would suggest all hunters try 3D to help their skills.
Devine Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #18
ranger53

ranger53 is on a distinguished road

About 3 years ago, I was at a local 3-D shoot. One of my friends told me that if he had only one choice between 3-D and bowhunting, it would be 3-D. Now I've been into 3-D for about 20 years. I've been bowhunting for about 25 years. I thought he was crazy. Well, I've started being a little more competitive and now I agree with him. I've got to know a few people and it is quite a lot of fun to shoot and see my friends, now We have 6 clubs in our coalition, so we have a 3-D shoot almost every weekend. Oh, and BTW the food is simple but it sure does taste better when your around friends. Every now and then they get elaborate too!( BBQ)
Tommy
Old 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
ashx2

ashx2 is on a distinguished road

I have sevral 3D targets of my own and have shot them for my own enjoyment/practice for years. But in the last year, we've started a 3D club here in my hometown and I'm really enjoying getting out and about with sevral friends and holding some friendly competitions.

Now if there was just a way to install a "do over button" at some of the target stations......LOL!

It's a great way to have family oriented fun and meet new people.
ashx2 is offline   Reply With Quote