Archery Forums 3DShoots.com
Find Archery Shoots near you  |   Advertise on 3DShoots.com

Go Back   Archery Forums 3DShoots.com > Archery Forum > General Archery Forum

Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Yancy Rounsavall

Yancy Rounsavall is on a distinguished road
Default equipment

I am considering changing rest. I shoot with a wisker bisciut now because I dont want to drop an arrow with a deer in sight. I have been told that it will impair accuracy. Looking at drop rest any suggestions. I am fairly new to bow hunting.
Yancy Rounsavall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

More then likely if you drop an arrow it isn't going to be with a deer in range....you will usually knock them off when there is nothing going on. At least that's when I drop things

People will say that a dropaway is more accurate then a Whisker Biscuit....and that may be true. But if you tune your setup correctly with a Whisker Biscuit it will be every bit as accurate. I know of a top Pro archer that setup his bow with one to prove this point and he shot a perfect Vegas round with one on his bow.

If you want to switch to a dropaway then go right ahead but don't let anyone tell you that rest won't get the job done.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
JTClark

JTClark is on a distinguished road

right now i have a tri-van arrow rest and they are brush and drop in 1 and i love it
give a tri van a try..
JTClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

I'm no whisker biscuit fan at all but have to agree with hornet on this, they are plenty accurate for anyone. But if you've lost faith in it, that will hurt your accuracy worse than the actual rest ever could.

If you want a combination of a full containment drop away there are a few out there like the QAD Ultra rest, the Ripcord Code Red, NAP Sizzor, the Tri-van as mentioned, and others.

A story I heard from our local pro shop owner would lead me away from traditional drop aways (even though it didn't change him). He was moose hunting and had a nice bull at 15 yards and missed because when he drew the arrow hadn't gotten picked up by the rest for some reason (the rest functioned perfectly fine, just user error) and he fired not realizing it. Like I said, he still uses the same rest and setup but it made me question the traditional drop aways.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Yancy Rounsavall

Yancy Rounsavall is on a distinguished road

Thanx for the input. I feel confident with the wiskar bisciut. Got caught up in conversation at camp where no one seemed to like them. This was my 3rd year bow hunting and i tend to hang on every word of advice.
Yancy Rounsavall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #6
Brown Hornet

Brown Hornet will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
A story I heard from our local pro shop owner would lead me away from traditional drop aways (even though it didn't change him). He was moose hunting and had a nice bull at 15 yards and missed because when he drew the arrow hadn't gotten picked up by the rest for some reason (the rest functioned perfectly fine, just user error) and he fired not realizing it. Like I said, he still uses the same rest and setup but it made me question the traditional drop aways.
If that happened his cord moved....so he probably snagged it on something or didn't have it tied in properly. I forgot to tie mine in once and had mine move when I snagged it crawling through some brush on the way in one day. But that was user error not Trophy Taker error.
Brown Hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Supermag

Supermag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Hornet View Post
If that happened his cord moved....so he probably snagged it on something or didn't have it tied in properly. I forgot to tie mine in once and had mine move when I snagged it crawling through some brush on the way in one day. But that was user error not Trophy Taker error.
Not the rest at all, it functioned just how it was designed to work. He just bumped the arrow so it was off to the side and didn't pick up when the rest raised. If he would've looked down and seen it was off and put it back, there would've been a dead moose but I think having a 60" moose at that close of range kind of makes you forget about things like that.
Supermag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
Archerdad

Archerdad will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Archerdad

any rest can be accurate, any rest can have problems. simple is great. i think that is why a lot of pros use a launcher rest for their bows. they are simple and not a lot to have go wrong.

bisquit are the same way. i love bisquits even thogh i am not currently using one. a friend of mine won the oklahoma state championship for our class using one.

they work. but hey to me it is archery and for me part of the fun is expanding and learning and being able to try different things. i have noticed that for every opinion there is an almost exact opposite opinion for any product, long bows short bows arrows etc etc.
Archerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
archeryassasin
trophy class deer hunter

archeryassasin is on a distinguished road

i recommend the octane trip wire or the qad pro hunter or the downforce. all are good rests tho.
archeryassasin is offline   Reply With Quote